Author Topic: Free Advertising  (Read 6311 times)

Offline BCJensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE IS ON FLAGS UP!
Re: Free Advertising
« Reply #30 on: Feb 21, 2006, 08:53 AM »
Why not offer an Iceshanty.com subscription....some forums require that you subscribe and pay a small fee. (even a few bucks per user...with 12000+ members that would go a long way towards monthly bandwidth and other fees)

I AGREE 110 %  I believe that this would keep some of the RIF RAF out of our threads and some of our blood pressures down.  I myself love this site and promot it to everyone that will listen..  

Over the last three years that i have been here some threads have gotten a bit out of hand..I can attest to that first hand..

MikeThePike

« Reply #31 on: Feb 21, 2006, 09:03 AM »
I'd be more than happy to donate some $$$ to keeping IS up and running. A full out pay from the get go forum is certainly not the way to go since not everyone has any spare cash and I certainly wouldn't have paid when I first started using the board. Leave it up to the members themselves to decide if they want to contribute and if so, how much. I know with a site this big, that uses as many resources as this one does costs have to be way up there and I know most of the guys on here certainly wouldn't mind chipping in a few bucks to keep it as great as it is.

I think a big problem with the site is the number of members total to the number who actually post. I'm going out on a limb but I'd say close to half are probably just lurkers using the board for conditions and free tips. About 75% of the guys I've met out on the ice this season who recognize me from here wouldn't give me their user IDs. Chances are they have no posts and are just using it for info. That just doesn't go over well with me. I have to travel sometimes in upwards of 50 miles or more to check on ice conditions because other members don't post that they've been out and what the ice was like.

Back to the topic of free advertising. I have nothing fishing related to advertise personally but have recommended a local bait shop a few times that just opened last summer/ fall. I won't make a whole new thread to promote them but if someone asks for a reliable place/ good place to get bait in my area I'll usually give them the heads up on the little mom & pop shop.

grumpymoe

« Reply #32 on: Feb 21, 2006, 09:07 AM »
He's not known as Grump for nothing... :P
      :roflmao:

PIKEGUY

« Reply #33 on: Feb 21, 2006, 09:15 AM »
I'd be more than happy to donate some $$$ to keeping IS up and running. A full out pay from the get go forum is certainly not the way to go since not everyone has any spare cash and I certainly wouldn't have paid when I first started using the board.

Same here!

Back to the topic of free advertising. I have nothing fishing related to advertise personally but have recommended a local bait shop a few times that just opened last summer/ fall. I won't make a whole new thread to promote them but if someone asks for a reliable place/ good place to get bait in my area I'll usually give them the heads up on the little mom & pop shop.

I don't think anyone has problems with people supporting their local bait/tackle shops etc. I've a feeling this is a little more to the point than that, so I would guess that everyone who's ever given a shout out about joe's bait or whatever doesn't need to feel Grumps wrath ;D ;D ;)

Offline iceisnice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 21, 2006, 07:04 PM »
I won't make a whole new thread to promote them but if someone asks for a reliable place/ good place to get bait in my area I'll usually give them the heads up on the little mom & pop shop.
Just so those of you who haven't been to FISH307 we are now a large mom & pop shop but we were a small shop until 4 years ago when we were known as Peace Pipe Fishing Outfitters.  This is a tough enough business to keep up with.
PLEASE SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL MOM & POP SHOPS they are an invaluable information resource and can help you when the box stores don't care.  The SOMETIMES small extra cost is more than worth the service you receive.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #35 on: Feb 21, 2006, 08:48 PM »
How about a donation link?

grumpymoe

« Reply #36 on: Feb 21, 2006, 08:59 PM »
How about a donation link?
....I don't think we need to do that.....there's the Iceshanty pro shop...as a member of this site, I've always been here to lend a hand to anyone that needs help fishing....(there's a very few that need help of another kind)  ;D  nothing wrong with the odd post mentioning a spot to shop for bait, tackle or gear now and then, but when individual members start posting for obvious self gain, then the moderating side takes over.....Fish307 is a most welcome addition to Iceshanty....Jeff....m y hats off to your roots and struggles to what you have achieved so far....and see a mom/pop operation that has grown enough to step up to the plate and support this great site.....and hopefully the support of the membership translates into even greater success for your business...respectfull y.....Grump

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #37 on: Feb 22, 2006, 12:54 PM »
Man I see lots of advertising, resturants, bait shops and ect.
I like when people have a good experience with a business and pass it on.
Some folks just are throwing out props to their place of business.
How about someone have links to their articles they write?
are these advertising??
Kinda a tuff call when it is really good info.
Just can't stand corps ram
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #38 on: Feb 22, 2006, 01:46 PM »
I cant agree more....I use this site to vent my frustration with businesses that do wrong and to praise some that are doing a grat job.

On the other hand, I would never plug for personal gain. Thats a sponsorship issue, and any compnay that wants to pay to support the iceshanty Im all for them..no free rides

Offline fish boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 22, 2006, 02:01 PM »
I'd pay money to keep up this site.
I'd pay money to keep the lurkers out.
I'd pay money to see Ice geeks wife in a thong! :o

PIKEGUY

« Reply #40 on: Feb 22, 2006, 02:11 PM »
I'd pay money to keep up this site.
I'd pay money to keep the lurkers out.
I'd pay money to see Ice geeks wife in a thong! :o

LOL ;D Goes without saying ;)

Offline BCJensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE IS ON FLAGS UP!
« Reply #41 on: Feb 22, 2006, 04:04 PM »
not a collection just admission>>>>> :thumbsup:

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #42 on: Feb 22, 2006, 04:08 PM »
How about someone have links to their articles they write?

That's a tough call.  I guess it depends upon intent.  If links don't work, then there is always the copy/paste option!  If you aren't sure about something and you want clarification that something is OK, then run it by the mod team or Scott first.  If it seems helpful to the site, they will listen!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #43 on: Feb 23, 2006, 06:17 AM »
We need to start a collection.

Mac

Would this be advertising? ;D

I tell people about good places when asked and bad places too
But unsolicited or posting your business for personal gain goes against the spirit of a site like this.   I found this place by accident and have enjoyed it since and would be willing to help keep it up if need be.   
Supporting the sponsors is the best way I can think of to keep things going
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 23, 2006, 06:40 AM »
I do not often post on this site but I read it often.  I own FISH307 and I agree that if it becomes all about advertising in the posts it is no good for anyone including FISH307.  We keep a mostly hands off approach and are thankful to Scott for allowing us to sponsor the site.  We sponsor many forums but my hats off to this group as it is one of the cleanest most informative sites that we are involved with.
Thank You

Jeff Goldberg
aka:iceisnice

Jeff, Thanks for sponsoring this site. I've ordered from your store in the past and will in the future. When I've called and talked to your staff, they've always been friendly and helpful. I look forward to browsing your more comprehensive web site in the future.
Ken                                          

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #45 on: Feb 23, 2006, 08:48 AM »
OK, maybee I should be sent to the Grumpy shanty
for this but there is a poster that has a link to another
fishing site (not MFF) in his sig and when he post he
will say go to www.thesightimspamingf or.com for the
complete report.

I don't feel it is right to come here and spam for another
site like that (and I belong to that site so it's not personal)

I have a link for my Mt. bike organizations site in my sig.
but I would never try to lure shanty members away to
another fishing site.

Just my thoughts, Errrrrrrr,

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 23, 2006, 09:08 AM »
I HATE spam and advertising.  I spend enough time keeping up w/ spam filters on my folks pc's to prevent crap email getting to them!!!  The last thing I want to see is a bunch of advertising junk when I get onto this great place, although, I don't feel I've ever ran into that problem really here.  I think Scott does a pretty good job of taking care of that, IMO... and the few taglines I see on signatures linking to some personal sites definitely don't bother me....

I haven't ordered from Fish307, although I've browsed the site a few times and it is very well organized, and the prices always seem to be pretty decent.  Next season I'll put a few orders in there... as I already have everything I need, I think ;).

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #47 on: Feb 23, 2006, 09:36 AM »
I was gonna stay out of this.  But I've read enough now to be bothered by it.  This is not the place to plug your own personal websites or business ventures.... ??? especially if that is all you post about in every topic you put your two cents into...
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 23, 2006, 12:33 PM »
Yeah I've seen a few posts today by a new member (maybe no longer) plugging a rediculous (IMO) product.  I see it didn't take the mods very long to start deleting them, WTG.
Cheese Head

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #49 on: Feb 23, 2006, 12:39 PM »
Good intentions with peoples greed taking over.
Ps joe blows got great ribs and their on special every tuesday at 2:30 pm in timbuktu buffalo NY.
See what i mean. this is only a simple example.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.