Author Topic: Free Advertising  (Read 6310 times)

grumpymoe

Free Advertising
« on: Feb 18, 2006, 07:46 PM »
I am in the mood and not holding back as a member......it makes me sick to my stomach to see some new members come aboard the Shanty with one thing in mind......working the membership with pictures of awesome once in a lifetime fish that some of us only wish for...........and your agenda is one thing....self-enrichment at the expense of our great site......there's only one on here at the moment......hope you enjoy choking on the almighty dollar.....Grump  >:( >:(

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Free Advertising
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2006, 07:49 PM »
I must have missed something ???
Cheese Head

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2006, 07:55 PM »
I must have missed something ???
....not really Chris......its been going on for awhile.....its about fish preservation......and if you read enough posts on the site, you will know who it is.....Grump  >:( >:(

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2006, 09:04 PM »
Couldn't be the guy From Northern Minnesota Could it?  :whistle:

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2006, 11:30 PM »
i know of a new guy doing exactly that. hes new, and hes pushing  his product. anyone wants his name pm me and check his posts. you will see what i mean.

I hope you're not talking about me because if you are you're mistaken. I am not promoting my business on here just proud of a big perch I caught in my own pond. If this offends anyone I will be glad to stop posting regarding this.

BTW I can assure you I have all the business I need so I don't need to promote any on here. I'd rather go fishing anyway.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2006, 11:42 PM »
Grump, I've read a bunch of posts (of course, not as many as you  ;D ) and I can't recall seeing a post such as you are referring to.  can ya give'r uP?  ya might's well, eh?  if it's in the memberships interest it may be something the members will be more willing to talk about rather than wonder  ???
gair-z
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

Offline Pomoxis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lawyers make the best chum.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2006, 02:11 AM »
Just wanted to add this.
I'm a little new to forums, so maybe I'm just getting your post wrong.

A year ago I was new to this stuff. I was becoming active on another extremely active forum. I am currently trying to start an almost hopeless manufacturing business. I am also desperate for work/money. (I'm not the guy who may be the topic of this thread) Eventually the thought of advertising on a forum became real. I noticed that it was done, but not "in the threads". I inquired about it with the Forum manager and learned that it was available and I thought that it would be GREAT for my particular business because it is something for fishing (boating) of the type on that forum. Couldn't do it yet, but I will when I can afford it.

Later on, I stumbled across another forum. It is a REALLY BIG fishing forum, around the size of the IceShanty. It is also much more localized to where I live, in NJ. The very obvious difference about it is that it is extremely full of ADVERTISEMENT, obvious, very obvious advertisement. That includes ads in very many members signatures.

At first I was almost disturbed by this. Later I realized that it was not really a problem at all. In fact it seemed almost a benefit to me because it was a "richness" that I would probably use someday. Most ads are in signatures, so they appear frequently, and they appear in areas where people who may want the service/product would be reading anyway. Being in signatures, the ads just lengthen the pages and only involve a little more scrolling distance and a little more download time. I have a 56K modem and that forum seems no slower at all than IceShanty.

There is also a common reference to members businesses being a relevance to the topics posted. For example, outboard motors, Mr Bill posts add a great deal of competent technical info about outboards, to threads that were asking about outboard technical info. The info provided is FREE, even to lurkers. It helps everyone in need and helps Mr Bill, and it is not a problem for anyone else. Just get away from it if you want.

I am not totally sure at this time if "ads in signatures" on that site are totally free. But I am sure that it is a different approach to forums that appears to work very, very well. If in fact any forum needs to charge for ads in signatures (or anywhere else of course) it would only be to the financial benefit of the forum, and the financial benefit of advertisers who are getting advertisement only when they contribute by posting. And the other members would benefit by advertisers contributions and the ease of availability of their services.

I have NO say at all in what Ice Shanty owners want to do with their site. It is a great site and I will participate whether there are ads or not. Maybe guys who are desperate for the dough WE ALL NEED to survive can get some pain relief from the Shanty, and others can get something they want/need.

I encourage the owners/mods or anyone else to go to the BASS BARN forum and see what I am talking about. If you want info on Striped Bass fishing in the salt, or ANY other salt water fishing info, this is the place. When it was 60degF in January here, I was reading BASS BARN, not Ice Shanty, ads or no ads. When April comes, well.....

Here is the site:  http://www.thebassbarn.com/

Go to the bottom of the page for the links to the various forum boards. There is a freshwater board and a tackle box board etc.
The more I fish, the more I  to fish, but the only  I need is BEER.

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2006, 02:39 AM »
Boy Grump the supercharged cold air must really be getting to you.  I've only
gotten POed at guys angling for some free advertising on IS one time and that's when
Gerbing (the handwarmer guy) and his Ice Team buddies posted in the pics section and began to thank product sponsors like they were Nascar drivers.  Scott slammed
the door on them thankyou very much.  If ya got a complaint come right out and say it instead of being so vague.  It's the taxidermist isn't it?

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2006, 04:51 AM »
We don't call him "Grump" for nothin' ;)
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

hali-man

« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2006, 10:00 AM »
LOL- I don't think you have to worry about that.  :)

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2006, 02:38 PM »
I hope he isn't talking about me and my big fish - i know i did tell a couple of people where i caught it and who i was fishing with and where they could look for more pictures but i didn't think this was advertising - more like being helpful
pikergal, i checked ot the web site linked on your profile...i did not view it as advertising, just some excellent footage and photos of some awesome pike and dories (?sp).
      you have nothing to worry about!!!  :D :D

Snot Rocket...Out!!!

)
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2006, 06:47 PM »
Oh boy............ :cookoo: here we go.

To the great grumpster, I'm not sure who you are talking about, but here are some thoughts.

For some of us, fishing is strictly a hobby.
For some of us, fishing is strictly a business.
For some of us, fishing is both.

For me it is the later, both. I do rep work for several ice fishing companies, I also do some promo work for Ice Shanty- NOT PAID.
Have I used Ice Shanty to do some free advertising? Yup, sure have, with class I hope. Have I done some free advertising for Ice Shanty? Yup, sure have, again with class. Would I lie to you about a product, simply to promote that product. Not in both our lifetimes.......

When I first joined this site ( 2001, I think ) I owned a very small bait shop, my original sign-on was " byronsbait.com ", was I looking for free advertising?? you betcha.  Did I also provide a bunch of very useful info to IceShanty members?? I like to think that I did, which is why I'm still on here.

Please keep in mind that lots of small business folks need to get as much exposure as they can. And quite frankly, if the small guy has a service or product that will/can benefit me, I want to hear about it.
My hope is that you invent the greatest, grumpiest ice jig of all time. That you tell all of us about it, that you market it with the Ice Shanty logo on it, make some money and go on to sponsor this site.

Is it fair to attempt to get some free advertising on here???????????? Thats up to the powers from above, or Scott, whoever types fastest.
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

grumpymoe

« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2006, 07:25 PM »
Is it fair to attempt to get some free advertising on here??? Thats up to the powers from above, or Scott, whoever types fastest
...to the member that types the fastest?....I dont think so.....it always amazes me that alot of people get onto this site and want to fastrack only one thing....themselves... .there's a few members here that actively take it upon themselves to aggressively pursue sponsors that make this site rocknroll....it takes money to keep the server going....juggling everything from the start of the season to the end....until we hit MyFishfinder.com  corporate sponsorship is not the easiest thing to get....or retain.....its all about bang for the almighty dollar.....and what p__s me off is these self promoting members that dont pay a darn nickel to keep this great site going.....I'd be willing to bet that a large portion of the members here wouldn't contribute ONE DOLLAR each.......do you wonder how far that would go to keep this site humming?.....sorry.....I type fast.....and look for nothing more than what I have received since joining.....and thats new friends....Grump

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2006, 07:43 PM »
Why not offer an Iceshanty.com subscription....some forums require that you subscribe and pay a small fee. (even a few bucks per user...with 12000+ members that would go a long way towards monthly bandwidth and other fees) I would surely pay any amount needed to keep this thing running.  I try and buy a few things each year from the iceshanty store also...bought my wife a TEAM ICESHANTY thong this year! 
-IceGeek

grumpymoe

« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2006, 07:50 PM »
Why not offer an Iceshanty.com subscription....some forums require that you subscribe and pay a small fee. (even a few bucks per user...with 12000+ members that would go a long way towards monthly bandwidth and other fees) I would surely pay any amount needed to keep this thing running.  I try and buy a few things each year from the iceshanty store also...bought my wife a TEAM ICESHANTY thong this year! 
-IceGeek
...I like your idea IceGeek......I don't want the membership here to think that its anything more than a personal thought......Scott has made a great dedication to keeping this site going without the corporate funding that so many other sites rely on.....its my personal feelings that I am projecting....if you enjoy participating on this great site.....then stand up and support it.....quietly or publicly......Grump

Offline Grimace

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ive Had It
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2006, 07:59 PM »
I would pay, if not for the cause, just for the sake to keep the shills off here trying to sell me stuff.

its like buying your own comercial on t.v. and then not running it so you dont have to watch it.    lol...

i would do it.

grumpymoe

« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2006, 08:02 PM »
I would pay, if not for the cause, just for the sake to keep the shills off here trying to sell me stuff.

its like buying your own comercial on t.v. and then not running it so you dont have to watch it.    lol...

i would do it.
......I'm in for $50.00    Grump

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2006, 08:05 PM »
Scott could actually set up an account to accept Paypal donations in any amount.....just a thought but so many people have paypal accounts and I know I would kick a few bucks his way and I know alot of others would as well especially if it's made available and is easy to do
-IceGeek

Offline rumblefish_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2006, 08:10 PM »
oh boy...I can hear it already  " i paid my $$$ so I can advertise if I want too"   I hope it doesnt come to that but unfortuanately some people think that if they pay they can do as they please.

I dont care what it takes...just keep the site running. ;D

grumpymoe

« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2006, 08:18 PM »
oh boy...I can hear it already  " i paid my $$$ so I can advertise if I want too"   I hope it doesnt come to that but unfortuanately some people think that if they pay they can do as they please.

I dont care what it takes...just keep the site running. ;D
.....dont think so.....I have personally had several people express a desire to advertise on Iceshanty.....(on specific boards).....and the most frequent answer is..."thats cheap".......and the most common thing I have seen from these people is......NOT A THING.....just looking for more with less..or nothing.....Grump

Offline Grimace

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ive Had It
« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2006, 08:20 PM »
Corporate sponsership isnt bad, it's just those twits that come on here and pretend to be fisherman and start to puke out info that gets you closer to there business that makes me sick.

I work my tail off for my cash as we all do, and for one really dont mind an administrative fee to go to a site in which i truly believe works hard for its membership.

its that simple.  

Offline rumblefish_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2006, 08:23 PM »
I hear ya Grump.   I just meant that members paying to use the site ( i am all for it) could become tricky.Some members will try and take advantage of it for personal use and advertising regardless of wether it is free or pay.Just with a pay site they feel they have more of a right to do as they please. I could be wrong...just my opinion. :)

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2006, 11:15 AM »
not that i know what im talkin about but why not give the advertisers the last forum on the list of forums..that way anyone could scroll all the way to the bottom and see what they have to offer.just my two cents worth.and no..im not one of them.personally i wish advertising would keep away from this site all together also.there i go contradicting myself again!This site is about having fun and sharing fun with others with mutual interest.Lets face it...money/greed ruins everything if given the chance.people run to sites like this for advertising because its free.

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2006, 02:22 PM »
Scott could actually set up an account to accept Paypal donations in any amount.....just a thought but so many people have paypal accounts and I know I would kick a few bucks his way and I know alot of others would as well especially if it's made available and is easy to do
-IceGeek
great idea geek.....I would throw some $$ from paypal..........

ps.  I am still waiting to see the Iceshanty Thong pics you keep promising ;)

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2006, 06:59 PM »
The great strength of this site is the outstanding size of its membership. I'm not sure that I, or so many others, would have become members if we would have been required to pay from the get-go. I'd be willing to pitch in a little, if it's donation-based. Otherwise, I'll have a tough decision to make.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." --Unknown

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 20, 2006, 07:21 PM »
I would do a survey before I would even consider charging for the site. The one thing it would do is get rid of the lurkers, but at what cost? When money is involved you will get most of the addicts 50% of the regulars and probably 25% or less of new members. This site is one of if not the best in it's catagory because it is just the way it is. Sponcers are great and I made a special trip up to fish307 (Like I needed an excuse  ;) but still) because they took the time to help support this site. In a perfect world anyone with morals should give a kick back to Scott if they ever sold something as a result of this site but money does strange things to people.

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 20, 2006, 07:42 PM »
Solution is very simple...

Just have the moderator for each board automatically delete anything that looks like advertizing, and delete the user from Iceshanty.  I guess the user could just come back with a different username, unless their I.P. Address is traceable.
fishing - It's a religion, not a sport.

Offline iceisnice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 20, 2006, 07:46 PM »
I do not often post on this site but I read it often.  I own FISH307 and I agree that if it becomes all about advertising in the posts it is no good for anyone including FISH307.  We keep a mostly hands off approach and are thankful to Scott for allowing us to sponsor the site.  We sponsor many forums but my hats off to this group as it is one of the cleanest most informative sites that we are involved with.
Thank You

Jeff Goldberg
aka:iceisnice

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 21, 2006, 08:24 AM »
I do not often post on this site but I read it often.  I own FISH307 and I agree that if it becomes all about advertising in the posts it is no good for anyone including FISH307.  We keep a mostly hands off approach and are thankful to Scott for allowing us to sponsor the site.  We sponsor many forums but my hats off to this group as it is one of the cleanest most informative sites that we are involved with.
Thank You

Jeff Goldberg
aka:iceisnice

There you go.  All said by one of the great "legitimate" sponsors.  Hats off to you Jeff :bow: :bow:

Offline 9fingers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You try tying a knot with 9Fingers!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 21, 2006, 08:50 AM »
He's not known as Grump for nothing... :P
"The problem with the rest of the world is..their a few drinks behind" Humphrey Bogart

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.