Author Topic: Re: Vermilion/St. Louis  (Read 1178 times)

Offline MT Net

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleyes on ice, that's nice!
Re: Vermilion/St. Louis
« on: Jan 12, 2005, 07:50 AM »
Heading up there this weekend out of McKinley Park.  Going to be "chilly". 

Predicted temps:
Friday's High: -16 Low -33
Saturday's High -12 Low -26
Sunday's High 0 Low -10

12" to 18" of ice, 6" of snow. 

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2005, 02:10 PM »
MT,you going to miss out on rocky reef ? ;)
ya i don't know if going or comming right maybe i'm just :-\ :-\ about the whole thing..or maybe th weater helped me deside..
Jon ''Ice Man''Chapman
Hard Ice

Offline MT Net

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2005, 07:17 AM »
Kind of weird, I've been talking to my Big V buddies on FM to set this thing up last November.  Found out about Rocky Reef in December when our plans were already set.  Fortunately, Ace and Cliff will have hardside shacks for us to use.  Sitting in the Fishtrap in -20 is pretty chilly.  But we'll be grillling polish sausages, shorelunch potatoes, and, hopefully, walleyes, on the ice.

Going to be too dang cold for the  :tipup:   :tipup:

Offline MT Net

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2005, 07:37 AM »
Well, we made it, cold, but we made it. Darn cold though, -25 that morning.  We drove about a mile and a quarter out from McKinley Park, 20" of ice lots of hard crusted snow, some large drifts to get stuck in.

Seems it was a day of one disaster after another. Getting stuck, digging out, getting stuck again, busting Gary's bug shield in the process. (Sorry about that Gary). Then, the forgetting of the key, regulator venting the propane.

But fishing is what we came to do, and we gave it our best effort. I got out my brand new power auger that has never cut a hole in the ice. Flipped the choke lever, SNAP! The choke lever fell to the snow. Thinking I could start it anyway, the first pull and the recoil seazed, leaving all of the starting cord dangling from the motor.  Fortunately, some of the others had an auger.

A few fish were caught, a nice jumbo perch and walleye were kept, some were released, and some were missed. Seems he fish were more interested in staring down the jigs. kind of frustrating those Vexilars. You can see them at the jig, but were not interested. We were set up over about 24 feet of water. With the gained turned up, dad and I could watch both our jigs on the bottom. Never really figured out what worked, most didn't work.

3AM Sunday morning, I read -34 while restoking the wood stove. :shocked:

With a -40 windchill, I didn't want to mess around with tip-ups and freezing my hands.

Offline blackdogs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2005, 12:30 PM »
Hey guys.  I am heading up to the lake this summer(June 11th-18th) and was wondering if anyone had any tips for me.  I will most likely be satying at Bayiew Lodge near Tower, Mn.  This is on Big Bay I believe.

Anyway, if you guys could give me any info regarding the fishing, species, lures, time of bait, ANYTHING would be helpful.  I am taking the wife up here for a week so I;d like us to get into some fish.(doesn'r really matter what kind).

Thanks, BD's

Offline MT Net

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2005, 05:50 PM »
Yep, you'll be in Big Bay, the far western reach of it.  Tons of places to fish, close by and far away.  Big Bay can get boiling in a wind, but that can mean plenty of fish. 

Previous years proved to have a nice evening dockside bite for the walleyes.  Past 2 years they started off deep and stayed rather deep all season.  If 15 to 20 feet doesn't produce, find areas up to 40 feet deep.

I'll be fishing the Walleye Opener and a few other weekends prior to your vacation.  Stay tuned for what was working...or not working.

Offline blackdogs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2005, 11:58 AM »
I didn't see a thread for this so I'm just gonna ask here.  Since I will be up in the area and with the wife.  Would any of you rececommend Pelican Lake.  I was told it is a great opanfish factory and seeing as I will be up there when the gills "hopefully" are on the beds, maybe I should try that lake.  Any help is appreciated .  Thanks guys, BD's

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.