Author Topic: A bit depressed  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Catfish78

• Team IceShanty Regular
A bit depressed
« on: Dec 30, 2011, 12:41 AM »
It is the 30th of December in southern Finland and the amount of ice on my home lake is ZERO. The pictures below are from Christmas Day. However that promising tiny bit of ice was gone the next day following a hell of a wind storm and some rain. So no ice, horribly depressing. I guess I will have to take the boat out but that will require de-winterizing it and then re-winterizing in a week or so. Looks like I will fish from shore for a bit until we finally get some ice. For those who have ice, I am jealous. Pull one through the ice for me.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: A bit depressed
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2011, 01:14 AM »
I know the feeling catfish! No ice over here in the states either!  >:( I keep looking at the 10 day forecasts and it just makes me even more p'd off!!! Everyone keeps saying "man this weather is nice", or "I dont think your gona get any ice this year, ha ha ha". And then I invision punching them in the face!!!  ;D.

Offline oldfisher68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2011, 05:19 AM »
I was catching lots of Whitefish at this time last year. We get some ice and then it disappears, this year. I keep waiting for Canada to send an arctic blast, but they won't share.

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2011, 05:37 AM »
Wow, and I thought I had it bad.  Hang in there Catfish, we all are waiting patiently although, me probably not so patient.

Offline icyveins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:54 AM »
I am pulling my hair out here! by this time last year I had fresh fillets in the fridge! I feel your pain  :%$#!:
if it is to be its up to me!

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2011, 08:05 AM »
So, things are bad on your side of the pond too.  Sure wish we had a hard arctic blast to share.  No fishable ice over here in my neighbourhood either.  I'm up against a 6 hour drive to get to good ice.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2011, 08:21 AM »
Don't feel bad no ice here in Pa. Last year I was fishing now! What's the big target fish in Findland through the ice ?

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2011, 08:25 AM »
I keep telling myself that with the crazy weather patterns maybe we'll be on the ice til the end of March instead this year.  Delusion is a wonderful thing.

Offline icyveins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2011, 08:28 AM »
So, things are bad on your side of the pond too.  Sure wish we had a hard arctic blast to share.  No fishable ice over here in my neighbourhood either.  I'm up against a 6 hour drive to get to good ice.

forecast doesn't look good for us.....night time temps in the teens and daytime temps mid 30s .....? arctic blast would be great.....3 weeks of 15 degrees straight I am all for it!

Offline Catfish78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2011, 08:36 AM »
Don't feel bad no ice here in Pa. Last year I was fishing now! What's the big target fish in Findland through the ice ?

Pike and perch through the ice for me.

We have freezing temps forecasted for the next 3 days then it's back to above freezing.  ??? ??? ???

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2011, 08:42 AM »
Pike and perch through the ice for me.

We have freezing temps forecasted for the next 3 days then it's back to above freezing.  ??? ??? ???
wow looks like the guppies were having fun ;D did you ever hook into a wels through the ice :o :o :o :o :o happy and prosperous news years
"a child is like an axe even if it hurts you still carry them on your shoulders"
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline bassbull

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:11 AM »
As I'm sitting here and looking out my window at times righting and reading today thinking this really sucks. It is raining in S.W. WISC. RIGHT NOW. The river ice fishing down my way is almost none existence. All places with any current at all are wide open. Which means we can't cross the sloughs to get to the good areas to fish. But I guess its another day of cleaning my man cave down stairs for a while. Boy tieing and pouring jigs does make a mess at times. Good luck to everyone. STEVE

Offline hoosier-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:17 AM »
I feel your pain :'(

Offline Piatu

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://myworld.ebay.com/piatu/?_trksid=p4340.l2559
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:22 AM »
Same at here...about 500 km north (In city of joensuu) from Catfishes place.

Normally at here is 20-30cm ice in big lakes, but now is open lakes and its raining water...little stupid feeling. :(

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:41 AM »
I'm scratching Finland off my list!

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:44 AM »
Cheer up it will come.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:45 AM »
It is the 30th of December in southern Finland and the amount of ice on my home lake is ZERO. The pictures below are from Christmas Day. However that promising tiny bit of ice was gone the next day following a hell of a wind storm and some rain. So no ice, horribly depressing. I guess I will have to take the boat out but that will require de-winterizing it and then re-winterizing in a week or so. Looks like I will fish from shore for a bit until we finally get some ice. For those who have ice, I am jealous. Pull one through the ice for me.

But look at the positive side Catfish and Piatu, it's much easier to sauna if you don't first have to cut holes in the ice.  I'm actually being serious here.  My wife's family is from Kuusamo, some aunts and uncles were born in Soumi but her parents were born here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and the family brought sauna traditions with them. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Oahuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2011, 10:31 AM »
Sigh
I'm pretty dammit!

Offline icyveins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2011, 10:35 AM »
Cheer up it will come.

I am curious what kind of time frame you have in the big W for ice fishing? typically we are off the ice end of march because its unsafe .....that only leaves three more months for "it" to happen lol! uggh that means i will have to go fishing both saturday and sunday every weekend as soon as its safe!  :icefish:

Offline Catfish78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2011, 10:45 AM »
But look at the positive side Catfish and Piatu, it's much easier to sauna if you don't first have to cut holes in the ice.  I'm actually being serious here.  My wife's family is from Kuusamo, some aunts and uncles were born in Soumi but her parents were born here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and the family brought sauna traditions with them.

The smoke sauna by the lake was closed up a couple of months ago. We have our sauna attached to the house that we use but that is way too far away from the lake, you will be very cold by the time you got down the hill. That and I am a big wuss when it comes to cold water. Love the sauna though and go almost everyday when we are out here at the mokki.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2011, 01:55 PM »
Smoke saunas are not too popular here nowadays.  They were back when alot of your countrymen and women came over however though. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Piatu

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://myworld.ebay.com/piatu/?_trksid=p4340.l2559
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2011, 02:01 PM »
Smoked ones arent quite common here too, but warming with wood are.Allmost every house have electic sauna like us at home inside and wooden at summercottage. I mysef warm sauna allmost every day.
Btw even every rental apartmet have own shared sauna witch can reserve at own use.  ;)

Offline Catfish78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2011, 02:07 PM »
Smoked ones arent quite common here too, but warming with wood are.Allmost every house have electic sauna like us at home inside and wooden at summercottage. I mysef warm sauna allmost every day.
Btw even every rental apartmet have own shared sauna witch can reserve at own use.  ;)

At our apartment in town we have an electric sauna and here at the cottage we have three. The smoke sauna down by the lake, the original sauna and wash room built on the property in the late 40's and the sauna attached to the new house. All wood burning. I work a lot with the chainsaw in the summer to support the saunas and fireplace.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2011, 02:17 PM »
I am curious what kind of time frame you have in the big W for ice fishing? typically we are off the ice end of march because its unsafe .....that only leaves three more months for "it" to happen lol! uggh that means i will have to go fishing both saturday and sunday every weekend as soon as its safe!  :icefish:
This year is late but it usually is from early december to late march.

Offline icyveins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2011, 02:22 PM »
This year is late but it usually is from early december to late march.

so very similar to what we have here in the "mitten" lol

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2011, 02:27 PM »
Yes, my Finish friend, I can feel your pain. Here in NH I can't fish, snowmobile or motorcycle. All the things I enjoy doing. Hunting season is over, there is no snowmobiling (season technically opens Dec 15th), there has been ice storms so the roads are sanded and I don't like to ride my sportbike after that happens, and there is barely enough ice to fish any good bodies of water. We just made 2" of ice on some local lakes around me, but they are calling for a slight warm up with rain tomorrow. Then cold after that. Just hope it stays.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline CPace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2011, 10:52 PM »
I'm just glad we've got this site to help ease the pain!  :'(  Someone earlier mentioned pulling out hair?  I just wish I had enough to pull out, these days! ;D  I just hope, that since we are being made to suffer, that the season will last that much longer into the spring!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #27 on: Dec 31, 2011, 12:47 AM »
Be careful what you wish for, not to long ago I remember wearing a stocking cap and winter jacket on the 4th of July.

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 31, 2011, 01:28 AM »
It's still a beautiful looking body of water, but would look better with 18" of ice!  :tipup:
-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

Offline CPace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 31, 2011, 04:13 AM »
Be careful what you wish for, not to long ago I remember wearing a stocking cap and winter jacket on the 4th of July.

I know, my bad!  I guess that's what happens to me, work'n nights, 12 hour shifts, and dream'n of a foot of ice on a lake that is currently free and clear!!  Thanks for bring'n me back to reality! :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.