The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Shiner trapping  (Read 7664 times)

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Shiner trapping
« Reply #30 on: Nov 26, 2019, 09:42 PM »
Thanks to the help on this website, I am starting to get it figured out. Also, once winter weather sets in and my pond freezes over, I bet I catch more and bigger shiners. Last winter it was easy to trap as many as I wanted.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline Phishing.Hacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Nov 27, 2019, 04:45 AM »
I'll ask a dumb question. I have a trap and I live near a pond that supposedly has shiners in it. Can I just bait it, tie it to a string, and throw it in a few feet out? Come back and check it later?

Yup, be careful with the string they tend to get tangled up, and be ready to pull traps before it freezes over or be ready to retrieve the trap through the ice.

Buddy in NH left  trap in 2 weeks because it froze but never got strong enough to walk on, trap was stuck, when he finally pulled the trap he had a few dozen in it, go figure...

Offline mattthehairy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a beverage here man!
« Reply #32 on: Nov 30, 2019, 06:50 AM »
First trapping session yesterday and got like 4 dozen smalls in less than an hour. Good start to the season!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

' \
                                 '   \
                                 '     \@
                                 '       \\
             --------------( ' )---------------
                                 '
                   ><:>      '     <:::><
                                 '
                   ><:::>   *

Offline bpfishhunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Nov 30, 2019, 06:41 PM »
say your looking for big goldens and chum some holes with bread. how long would/should it take to attract them if they are there? Is it possible to have ponds without jig sized goldens?

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 30, 2019, 10:44 PM »
say your looking for big goldens and chum some holes with bread. how long would/should it take to attract them if they are there? Is it possible to have ponds without jig sized goldens?
they are in every pond but in most cases not in catchable numbers. look for small water bodies loaded with them. if looking for them on bigger water bodies look for shallow weed flats. 10 min is a good time to wait

Offline mattthehairy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 02, 2019, 07:55 PM »
The boy and I had a ridiculous haul right before the storm, did a 7 hour soak on the trap. Between that and the end of last week I've got over 200 ready to go for the season. Just about maxed out the 25 gallon cooler I think.

' \
                                 '   \
                                 '     \@
                                 '       \\
                                 '
                                 '

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 02, 2019, 08:08 PM »
just changed out all the water on my tanks. I cant fit another shiner if I tried fully maxed out. this little 10 gallon filter is really starting to surprise me. its keeping the water really clear and I have at least 80 gallons and 50 dozen in that tank. think I'm going to pick up a couple more.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #37 on: Dec 04, 2019, 05:14 PM »
JIG JIG JIG forget trapping, you would be surprised the size range of shiners that will hit a small hali jig. Jigging bait is some of the most fun I have all winter. I jig them open water too, from shore with a slip bobber. Easy to find them this way if water is flat
If the state allowed a larger opening then 1" I would have traps out too. 

Offline Gavins1800

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:00 PM »
So I've tried for a while now and have done very good trapping over the summer in rivers that arnt close but I was wondering what you guys that are successful in trapping look for in a pond/stream. I've tried every body of water in gardner and havnt gotten any over the last month with my trap out all day. I've caught big goldens on rod and reel but thats about it. I think I need to search for some new waters

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:05 PM »
JIG JIG JIG forget trapping, you would be surprised the size range of shiners that will hit a small hali jig. Jigging bait is some of the most fun I have all winter. I jig them open water too, from shore with a slip bobber. Easy to find them this way if water is flat
If the state allowed a larger opening then 1" I would have traps out too.
I've used holes big enough to the point I was actually catching turtles and it doesnt make a difference. jigging and cast netting is the only way to get true big ones. talking 10 to 12in and beyond

Offline mattthehairy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 05, 2019, 12:04 PM »
So I've tried for a while now and have done very good trapping over the summer in rivers that arnt close but I was wondering what you guys that are successful in trapping look for in a pond/stream. I've tried every body of water in gardner and havnt gotten any over the last month with my trap out all day. I've caught big goldens on rod and reel but thats about it. I think I need to search for some new waters

Small ponds. Places where when I'm fishing during soft water and can see bait running around in the shallows. The place I have success happens to be a private pond that gets stocked with trout at relatively regular intervals and if you chuck out bread or dogfood see bait clouds coming from nowhere to feed. Location in the pond at this time for me is dropoffs near steep banks, shallow weed cover, and sunlight.

' \
                                 '   \
                                 '     \@
                                 '       \\
                                 '
                                 '

Offline mattthehairy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 05, 2019, 12:06 PM »
I've used holes big enough to the point I was actually catching turtles and it doesnt make a difference. jigging and cast netting is the only way to get true big ones. talking 10 to 12in and beyond

Those are big shiners! For bait that big I usually go with dink perch and pumpkinseeds that I'm able to jig up.

' \
                                 '   \
                                 '     \@
                                 '       \\
                                 '
                                 '

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 05, 2019, 01:39 PM »
Those are big shiners! For bait that big I usually go with dink perch and pumpkinseeds that I'm able to jig up.
those work great as well but quite a few times pike fishing my only success of the day has come on a big golden. I dont know what it is about them but they are literally gold.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 05, 2019, 02:06 PM »
those work great as well but quite a few times pike fishing my only success of the day has come on a big golden. I dont know what it is about them but they are literally gold.

I think they know there aren't spines on goldens.  I tend to cut them off the perch that I use but I rarely get a flag on a perch bait.
westernmas on the finder

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Dec 07, 2019, 05:09 AM »
Anyone ever put out traps in a large river? Lets say the size of the Merrimack. There's a few spots where I found shiners stacked up in the spring. Not sure if they are still there in the Fall/Winter.

Offline Phishing.Hacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 07, 2019, 06:36 AM »
Anyone ever put out traps in a large river? Lets say the size of the Merrimack. There's a few spots where I found shiners stacked up in the spring. Not sure if they are still there in the Fall/Winter.

One way to find out, go trap it.

Offline Gavins1800

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 07, 2019, 01:12 PM »
The only place I can ever trap/catch goldens Is the ct river

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 13, 2019, 08:45 AM »

Probably a dumb question but do I need a special license for bait trapping shinners?  Will my fishing license cover it?

smitty :tipup:

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #48 on: Dec 13, 2019, 10:18 AM »
Your good as long as you are not selling

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Dec 13, 2019, 10:25 AM »
I think they know there aren't spines on goldens.  I tend to cut them off the perch that I use but I rarely get a flag on a perch bait.

There are studies that have been done that suggest pike prefer soft rayed baits.  (No spines). 

I don't use goldens often anymore.  Too much hassle when other dead baits out perform. 

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 13, 2019, 10:50 AM »
I don't use goldens often anymore.  Too much hassle when other dead baits out perform.

They still sell goldens in CT?
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #51 on: Dec 13, 2019, 11:07 AM »
They still sell goldens in CT?

Yup.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #52 on: Dec 13, 2019, 11:12 AM »
But good luck finding big ones and if you do they are probably going to be over $2 a fish.  I've been running big fallfish for a few years.  They are easier to come by for me.  I still haven't found The Golden Shiner Hole, lol.   ::) ??? :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.