The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Lakes with no weeds due to chemicals  (Read 1188 times)

Offline minnow1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Lakes with no weeds due to chemicals
« on: Feb 28, 2009, 06:29 PM »
Just wondering.....

The city of Pittsfield killed the weeds this summer with chemicals in Pontoosuc and Onota.  The usual weed beds are gone and theres nothing but muck when you look down the hole.  And the fishing is really slow. How do you think this affects the fish?  Obviously they're not in the same places and are probably just spread all over but can those chemicals kill the fish? Or have some impact on the overall habitats?

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
Re: Lakes with no weeds due to chemicals
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2009, 07:53 PM »
It can devestate the spawning of almost every species and if they do spawn the young fry have no  :-[were to hide and would most certainly be eaten.

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2009, 10:19 AM »
they did this in quaddick in ct and it killed fish that sucks stupid humans wanting to swim
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline minnow1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2009, 10:32 AM »
they did this in quaddick in ct and it killed fish that sucks stupid humans wanting to swim

Its mostly the rich people that have houses on  the lakes and they complain about a few weeds.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2009, 10:41 AM »
Its mostly the rich people that have houses on  the lakes and they complain about a few weeds.

I'd bet if they just stopped fertilizing their lawns, there'd be a lot less weeds and there would still be fish.  I hate seeing a perfectly manicured lawn next to a pond, it just doesn't seem right.  It might have something to do with the 7 years I spent mowing lawns and learning to hate them, though...

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2009, 11:31 AM »
They had a similar issue with Spy Pond in Arlington some years back.
Their claim was that the lawn fertilizer run off had killed the water plants on the eastern half of the lake, an were pettioning to stop people from using it at all.
What these self-acknowledged geniuses failed to recognize was that the eatern half of the pond was inhabited by an ever-growing population of canadian geese that were poluting the water and killing the plantlife. You'd think that they would have gotten a hint/clue when they had to resod the picnic area EVERY YEAR due to goose droppings killing the grass!

Note that the western half of the pond is a lush, plant-filled fisherman's haven with decent sized fish of various species.
This was because there are a resident pair of swans that continually chase the geese out of their territory which happens to be the whole western half.

SO.....I highly disagree that weed growth was caused by lawn runoff. It may have a contributing effect, but it is not the sole culprit. These other "geniuses" in western mass will soon be complaining more about the increased mosquito population, due to the lack of fish in these waterways, and will be blaming THAT on something/soneone else.

Good luck!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2009, 12:10 PM »
they killed waneta lake here in n.y.
the pitch they made was the chemicals would get rid of eurasian milfoil, an invasive, and the native water plants would re-colonise. things didn't happen quite like they thought they would.

no where for the little fish to hide, bigger fish ate em all, then the bigger fish starved.

weeds arent good for jet ski water intakes.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline bisceglia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2009, 01:23 PM »
don't worry the weeds will grow back. the fishing may slow for a awhile but everything will eventualy be back to normal...but don't eat the fish if they glow in the dark
all fishermen are liars, except me and you... but i'm not so sure about you

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2009, 10:56 AM »
Maybe if they concentrated more on controlling the weeds than on killing them, they may have better luck.
Unless you are dealing with an invasive species, you could literally just rake the weeds (like dredging without destroying the root structure and basic ecosystem) and reduce the amount of weeds overall. Otherwise you are putting the ponds/lakes life in the hands of someone that may not be qualified or experienced with the required actions.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2009, 12:52 PM »
weeds are also spread by boaters, moving from lake to lake and taking weeds along with them

burp

lenz
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline clemente08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2009, 03:50 PM »
Just wondering.....

The city of Pittsfield killed the weeds this summer with chemicals in Pontoosuc and Onota.  The usual weed beds are gone and theres nothing but muck when you look down the hole.  And the fishing is really slow. How do you think this affects the fish?  Obviously they're not in the same places and are probably just spread all over but can those chemicals kill the fish? Or have some impact on the overall habitats?

at least the water there freezes unlike that pond next to GE

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.