Author Topic: Am I missing something with the old flashers?  (Read 7125 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Am I missing something with the old flashers?
« on: Oct 08, 2019, 10:12 PM »
I have a Fl 20 and Fl 18 to the best of my knowledge they are regular transducers not dual? I know there has been a lot of newer products out there so I'm I outdated in the technology I have now? I like the quick turn it on and go, no programing or pushing umpteen buttons. Are flashers out dated? I'm asking because I might have a little cash to get a different finder but don't want to spend over 400 bucks. Bottom line am I missing fish because of not having the new xyz gadget or just keep what I got? If I should up grade to what? had a hummingbird on the boat worse locator I ever had and I want something with a long battery life? Thanks all

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Am I missing something with the old flashers?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2019, 10:24 PM »
I feel like I just bought mine yesterday.... I don't need a smartphone to sound locate fish.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2019, 10:29 PM »
Your set up just fine, still use flasher mode The Garmin I bought last winter.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2019, 10:33 PM »
just up grade your battery to a lithium and your good to go. 

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2019, 11:09 PM »
Are the lithium just lighter or do they last longer? Is the weight savings a lot?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2019, 11:48 PM »
I run lithiums in my vexilars.can go over 50 hours  without charging them.but can get over 20 hrs on a regular sla battery too.your vexilars are still putting fish on the ice and will until they quit which may never happen.i also like the simplicity of them.does what i need without messing with a bunch of features and menus just to mark fish and tell depth.

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2019, 01:31 AM »
Are the lithium just lighter or do they last longer? Is the weight savings a lot?
A 12 volt 9ah sealed lead acid battery weighs around 5 lbs. My 12 volt 9ah lithium battery weighs 2.5 lbs. I do a lot of hole hopping while ice fishing so the weight difference is quite noticeable.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2019, 02:53 AM »
As all have said, your fine with what you have. spend the money on a lithium and use the rest for something else.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2019, 05:44 AM »
I put the Energized Outdoor 5ah in my fl22's, the 5ah are super light and will power a vex all day easy.  I figured why pay for a reserve capacity I wouldn't tap into.   

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2019, 06:01 AM »
Maybe buy the lithium battery. All those flashers still put fish on the top side. Always will. Maybe buy a few jigs you have to have. Then be smart and take your significant other out to dinner with whats left over.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2019, 06:28 AM »

You can get lithium batteries in many ah choices ..much lighter to boot. Although I am a gizmo gadgit guy my Fl 18 is priceless ..the digital/LCD units offer lots of options and functions ..ie history Gps etc. some of which are nice but i have other tools to do those jobs..youll be fine lots of information can be gathered from your Vexilar..bottom composition and hardness for example.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #11 on: Oct 09, 2019, 06:59 AM »
I have a LX5 I use the dual beam ducer sometimes but love the zoom feature. Other than that flashers are fine. The last sla 9 ah battery I bought cost $29 and still strong 4 years latter. The extra couple of pounds weight is nothing. Less than a 12 pack of beer.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 09, 2019, 07:45 AM »
don't you love a good weight verse money debate :-)
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #13 on: Oct 09, 2019, 08:11 AM »
I have an LX7 and and Fl18. I won't catch more fish with one vs the other.....  One is definitely prettier to look at but that's it....

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Oct 09, 2019, 08:28 AM »
don't you love a good weight verse money debate :-)
its not just weight tho,its longer run times and overall longer battery life/more  full charge cycles over sla batteries.i haven't had  good luck with the lithiums yet but still like the weight difference in my vexilars when hole hoping 10  to 12 hrs a day and charging once after 3 days of use.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 09, 2019, 09:31 AM »
Do you leave the charger on the lithium battery all the time? Do the chargers shut off when the battery is charged?
Are the $30 - $40 chargers any good?

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 09, 2019, 10:02 AM »
If I was in the market I would look for a cheap ($200) used flasher, I think we're going to see a LOT of digital finder competition in the next couple years and would hold out the big bucks till then. My buddy bought a Garmin Striker 5 for $300 new last season, it can do everything a regular flasher can do and more. The history is super helpful when trying to read a bite or if you have two people on a single unit, plus mapping and whatever else it can do.

$300 can get you an entry-level bare-bones flasher, or an updated digital finder with way more options. I understand that flashers have proven history and durability. In 2-3 years I would imagine we're going to see livescope/panoptics alternatives for $500.

To each his own. I have an FL-20 and dont plan on upgrading till we see something in that price range.
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 09, 2019, 10:15 AM »
In 2-3 years I would imagine we're going to see livescope/panoptics alternatives for $500.

I would be absolutely shocked. Garmin holds multiple patents for the technology and the only reason Lowrance's version came out is a patent sharing agreement. Don't you think if Hummingbird would have made their own version by now if they could without infringing on Garmin patents?

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 09, 2019, 10:25 AM »
I would be absolutely shocked. Garmin holds multiple patents for the technology and the only reason Lowrance's version came out is a patent sharing agreement. Don't you think if Hummingbird would have made their own version by now if they could without infringing on Garmin patents?

I was not aware of the patent sharing agreement, I figured they were utilizing an already existing technology. If this is the case you may be right. I would still hope in 3 years they have a more cost friendly alternative (at least from Garmin).
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #19 on: Oct 10, 2019, 08:47 AM »
Hummingbird is coming out with some kind of 360 mega side imaging that will scan all around.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #20 on: Oct 10, 2019, 08:58 AM »
Do you leave the charger on the lithium battery all the time? Do the chargers shut off when the battery is charged?
Are the $30 - $40 chargers any good?
no i charge it when ive used it for say 3 full days which is about 20 to 30 hrs.my dakota lithium says 100% on my vexilar gauge all the time because lithium batteries put out 100% power until they are dead unlike the slow drain of a sla battery.the charger from dakota or energized outdoors work fine.and just have the red/green light deal to let you know its charged.i remove it immediately after the light turns green.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #21 on: Oct 10, 2019, 09:03 AM »
its not just weight tho,its longer run times and overall longer battery life/more  full charge cycles over sla batteries.i haven't had  good luck with the lithiums yet but still like the weight difference in my vexilars when hole hoping 10  to 12 hrs a day and charging once after 3 days of use.

I have never run out of power in one day with a flasher / 9ah sla.. Putting on the charger everytime I get home is as normal as bringing in all your live bait to keep from freezing. If someone gave me a lithium for the price of a sla sure I would take it. 2 or 3 lbs is not deal breaker for me vs 3 times the cost.

Offline mattymn80

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
  • CEO Energized Outdoors LLC
« Reply #22 on: Oct 10, 2019, 09:33 AM »
Energized Outdoors has a 5AH battery that weighs 1.8lbs. It will outlast a 9AH SLA by almost 20%. You will get 20-30hrs on traditional flashers with this battery and the cost is only $50. The big advantage is the battery will last 5-10yrs and will not lose the charger over storage like your SLA batteries. This means at $50 you will have a battery that will outlast 2-5SLA battery purchases. WORTH EVERY PENNY!
Thank you all for your support! - Energized Outdoors

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 10, 2019, 11:16 AM »
no you are not missing something.  have 2 great lcd units but i still mostly use my LX5. 

That being said, when i do use my newer lcd units, there is very little button pushing required.  turn them on and i'm good. 

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Oct 10, 2019, 11:49 AM »
Yes, flashers are outdated compared to livescope type units....but for running and quick setup they work. Also they cannot be compared when it comes to price. However, once you go livescope, I doubt you'd want to go back to a "traditional" flasher unit.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 10, 2019, 03:36 PM »
Yes, flashers are outdated compared to livescope type units....but for running and quick setup they work. Also they cannot be compared when it comes to price. However, once you go livescope, I doubt you'd want to go back to a "traditional" flasher unit.

Youre overlooking the middle ground of digital flashers that show history/GPS. They can be had for a similar price but offer more features
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 10, 2019, 04:51 PM »
if you're looking for something new, get a camera

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #27 on: Oct 10, 2019, 04:51 PM »
Have my fl 20 combo love the ol girl. Got the traditional batt in it. I only get about 8-10 hrs on it with only the flasher running. Time for a new batt for that one and a Flx28 if price drops this season
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: Oct 11, 2019, 02:30 PM »
Are flashers out dated?

Yes.  However, given your criteria, you’ll probably want to stick with something you already have. 

$400 would get you a Garmin Striker 5 ice kit if you really needed to upgrade.  It’s got gps (no mapping though) and it will run in flasher mode or graph, or both in a split screen.  It has an adjustable cone beam that you can change in 1 degree increments if you desire, from 16 degrees to 24 degrees.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079ZZDY7J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DInODb9QZ1DYW

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #29 on: Oct 12, 2019, 11:11 PM »
I have a Fl 20 and Fl 18 to the best of my knowledge they are regular transducers not dual? I know there has been a lot of newer products out there so I'm I outdated in the technology I have now? I like the quick turn it on and go, no programing or pushing umpteen buttons. Are flashers out dated? I'm asking because I might have a little cash to get a different finder but don't want to spend over 400 bucks. Bottom line am I missing fish because of not having the new xyz gadget or just keep what I got? If I should up grade to what? had a hummingbird on the boat worse locator I ever had and I want something with a long battery life? Thanks all

Not really missing anything besides being able to fine tune stuf with a dual or tri beam.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.