Author Topic: Ice Safety  (Read 708 times)

Offline BH ICE 0507

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Safety
« on: Jan 10, 2020, 10:49 AM »
Hey planning on sleeping on the ice this weekend... ice is 12 inches thick but has some fairly milky ice in spots and some 1/2 - 1/4 inch vertical cracks in it in some places---is there anything I should be concerned about or consider before zonking in a cot in my shelter out there? Is there any merit in running a rope to shore or anything like that (I'll be 20-30 ft off shore). Thanks!
Never enough tip ups

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice Safety
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2020, 10:59 AM »
with 12" it should be safe enough as long as you checked on your way out. you'll want to have a c.o. detector in the shack for the night. the cracks shouldn't be an issue. I take it you've not been on the ice when the lake pops, 1st time is the worst after that it's no big deal.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2020, 11:31 AM »
Good tips, but you should provide some pertinent information, like a state, so that the readers know if the comment is directly relevant to their location. 
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline BH ICE 0507

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2020, 12:20 PM »
True, yeah South Dakota, Black Hills. I've been out there for some major cracking, seems to stay pretty quiet when its colder and there's no direct sun on the ice. I don't have a CO detector but we're not running the heater at night and will sleep with a vent open... 3 of us on cots plus doggo. We've camped next to an iced lake before because we were a little too jumpy for the 4 inches of ice that was out there.. just want to triple check that we're okay on 12. Thanks!
Never enough tip ups

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2020, 01:00 PM »
Good tips, but you should provide some pertinent information, like a state, so that the readers know if the comment is directly relevant to their location.

Why does this matter?

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2020, 01:01 PM »
12'' is more than enough for a sleeper. Unless its like a 20'+ camper.

A truck would be borderline. But if its 12'' of solid clear/black ice then its game on!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2020, 01:23 PM »
Why does this matter?

Well if they're in my neck of the woods they would be looking at 60 degrees Saturday, 50's on Sunday and rain starting Friday so that might play into ice safety
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.