Author Topic: Dog on the ice inside shelter  (Read 3733 times)

Offline IceDuck406

• IceShanty Rookie
Dog on the ice inside shelter
« on: Jan 06, 2020, 03:57 PM »
Does anyone have a good way to keep your dog up off of the ice inside the shelter? We've tried a regular dog bed and it gets soaking wet. Thought somebody on here might have a brilliant solution.
Thanks!

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Dog on the ice inside shelter
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2020, 04:02 PM »
Put the dog in the sleigh or cabela's sells a raised cot for dogs. Still need a blanket or bedding to keep them warm.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Dura-Mesh-Elevated-Pet-Bed/1620077.uts?slotId=0

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2020, 04:02 PM »
Does anyone have a good way to keep your dog up off of the ice inside the shelter? We've tried a regular dog bed and it gets soaking wet. Thought somebody on here might have a brilliant solution.
Thanks!

They do have those platform dog beds that sit up off the floor.  I usually take my stuff out of my sled, toss a blanket or two in the sled and my dog is good to go.  I however, have a pitbull who doesn't do well in the cold for long periods of time so he only comes out a few times a year.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Lowens110

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2020, 04:02 PM »
depending on how big your dog is you could use a boot tray or something similar to keep them off the ice. also just spray the crap out of the bottom of the dog bed with Flex seal so it doesnt get wet  ;)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2020, 04:08 PM »
Interlocking foam pieces for the garage.  I use them when I camp on the ice.  I think I grabbed them from amazon.  They do not soak up water and stay dry.  Only downside is they can (and have) freeze to the ice occasionally.  Light, economical.  Lay a couple of them down then the dog bed and youll be mint.  Or a piece of tarp and the dog bed.

Offline Mowser4104

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2020, 04:40 PM »
Ours is small enough to sit on the seat with my wife when I’m out  locating fish.
Life's to short live it as if you don't have tomarrow.

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2020, 06:45 PM »
Carpeted car mat

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2020, 08:25 PM »
I have a 2 man sled and removed the 2nd seat.  I built a wood platform that sits over the edges of the sled with blocking so it won’t slide around when the dog gets on and off.  I built it so it folds in half and lays in the bottom of my sled when we are walking out.  I still put a bed or coat on it for my lab to lay on.  Works good but is probably too comfortable for him as he wines like crazy if I try to go without him. 

Offline jmedy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2020, 09:11 PM »
while we're on the topic of dogs; my pup loves the ice and runs around like an absolute maniac out of the ice resulting in him tearing up his paws.  Does anyone have any recommendations for booties for my hound?

Offline ONTHLK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2020, 10:02 PM »
I roll out three blue foam camp pads in my hub shelter.

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2020, 12:06 AM »
I just bring an extra camp chair.
Come on fish!

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2020, 03:56 AM »
Thanks!
Take a folding chair. Mine would always just curl up in it
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline dearjimschmidt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2020, 05:59 AM »
I have a mini aussie she enjoys the cold but spends a lot of her time sleeping on one of these.  I have it in size small and it fits in my Quickfish3 with 2 persons no problem.

https://www.chewy.com/frisco-steel-framed-elevated-dog-bed/dp/126781?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Frisco&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3LjCzLfx5gIVCbSzCh28TQqZEAQYAyABEgIFU_D_BwE
River City Baits - Fort Wayne Indiana

Offline phoolish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2020, 06:09 AM »
Get a water dog. ALL my goldens have always come fishing with me. Even on the coldest days, they've seeked and found open water and gotten as wet as a dog possibly can. Never had any problems with them being cold, more keeping them entertained between fish.

i have a Chesapeake bay retriever. ive had him with icicles hanging off him loving life without a care in the world haha

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2020, 06:14 AM »
while we're on the topic of dogs; my pup loves the ice and runs around like an absolute maniac out of the ice resulting in him tearing up his paws.  Does anyone have any recommendations for booties for my hound?

L.L. Bean has some decent sets the cheap ones never stay on I have three boxers and it’s a chore Trying make sure they don’t take them off. I have herd of people using bag bomb on there feet but never tried it.
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2020, 06:53 AM »
Benny was a once in a lifetime dog. Still miss him.
Sorry for your loss  :'( :'(

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2020, 07:13 AM »

Got foam for our hubs at Ace hardware 6’x4’ works great. Also keeps gear dry.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2020, 07:43 AM »
I have a 2 man sled and removed the 2nd seat.  I built a wood platform that sits over the edges of the sled with blocking so it won’t slide around when the dog gets on and off.  I built it so it folds in half and lays in the bottom of my sled when we are walking out.  I still put a bed or coat on it for my lab to lay on.  Works good but is probably too comfortable for him as he wines like crazy if I try to go without him.

This. Clam Nanook with just 1 seat in it. Dog lays in front of the rear zipper so he can go in and out. Lots more square feet of ice for heater and stuff with a 2 man used as a 1 man.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2020, 07:51 AM »
ALSO A TIP: As long as this is a dog themed thread....I would always cut my dog's nails after a long day on the ice. he ran around a lot and got flat wore out. He's pass out on my bed at the end of the day and didn't care about getting his nails trimmed.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline JH57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2020, 12:11 PM »
My critters want to go in the worst way.  I've no idea how to pay attention to my rods and keep track of 2 cold weimaraners and make sure they are warm, safe, and not bothering anyone else.  I don't fish in a shelter.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2020, 12:20 PM »
probably a dumb question but when your dogs are in your flipovers etc do you run heat? any concern about propane and dogs?
Tight Lines!

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2020, 12:26 PM »
Thanks! He's been gone since 2005. On my 3rd golden since, but Benny was by far the smartest dog I ever had.
Makes no difference how long they've been gone, the missing goes on forever  :( :(

Offline Bryce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2020, 09:10 PM »
Don't have a shelter but she loved to go anyway.  Didn't get real active till the sun came up. Just turn the JR sled upside down on top of the XL or clip the rope to her harness and let her pull it out.

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2020, 06:34 AM »

I use the raised dog bed also and a pad/blanket for them on top  ,works good but takes up some space inside the pop up shanty.

smitty :tipup:

Offline Wapiti406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2020, 09:10 AM »
Cheap dog bed and cheap tarp for inside the shack.  Buy them cheap enough that you don't feel bad if they get thrown away after 1 season.  Harbor Freight moving blankets are great too.  Throw the blanket in the sled on open ice.  I have a chocolate lab.  He's a great water dog but I worry about his pads freezing when we're out in the sub-zero temps.  I like the idea of the raised beds.  Being even an inch off the ice would make a world of difference.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2020, 09:00 PM »
There is nuthin' like a dawg.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2020, 05:47 AM »
Interlocking foam pieces for the garage.  I use them when I camp on the ice.  I think I grabbed them from amazon.  They do not soak up water and stay dry.  Only downside is they can (and have) freeze to the ice occasionally.  Light, economical.  Lay a couple of them down then the dog bed and youll be mint.  Or a piece of tarp and the dog bed.

X2
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2020, 06:09 AM »
inside a shelter is where they belong.  nothing worse than a ill-mannered dog running around tripping flags and knocking over drinks n such.  lol  more the owners fault than the dog though.

there used to be a dog on silver lake that would steel fish from your pile. don't know if he ate them or took them to his owner. haha  i think someone called the dog police or poisoned him.  i haven't seen him in a few years.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Big Sky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2020, 09:00 AM »
Google PVC dog bed or look on You Tube for a DIY pvc dog bed.  I think this with another thin bed layer on it would be the trick to keeping ur dog off the ice if needed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.