Author Topic: Livescope or Panoptix?  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Jordang2330

• IceShanty Rookie
Livescope or Panoptix?
« on: Nov 21, 2019, 04:05 PM »
Should I upgrade straight to Livescope ice bundle or are people happy with just the Panoptix? Basically, is livescope worth the extra $900 right away?

Looking at upgrading my Garmin Striker 4 to a panoptix this year. But I read a lot of people have the panoptix for a year then upgrade the next. But the cost of upgrading is higher than just buying the livescope bundle to begin with.

I mostly walleye fish and I've heard it can be hard to tell them from the bottom on either of these units.

Also, I've read one guy say he's gotten 10 hours on the factory battery with the panoptix, what can I expect with the included 12AH battery for the Livescope? I'm pretty much planning on getting an Amped outdoors 30AH battery if I do get the livescope, but that might have to be a next year thing if I do go livescope.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Livescope or Panoptix?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2019, 05:48 PM »
Panoptix is great, but it can’t really identify structure and even types of fish like livescope can. If I were to have the choice again, I’d go with the livescope bundle.

Offline Jordang2330

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2019, 05:53 PM »
Thanks. I'm trying to gather as much info as possible before the Saint Paul ice show. Hoping they have good deals on these units.

Definitely a want, not a need.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2019, 08:06 AM »
The most cost effective thing to do is buy the Livescope now rather than take the hit when you decide to trade up to one later anyway.  Do some research and you will find that you can put together a component package yourself and save money over buying the Garmin kit. Another thing to consider is that if you buy in Mn you will be paying sales tax, I would suggest pricing the units out of state with someone like Ultimate Passage in Ohio, or some of the others that will send you the units tax-free (you must call for the best pricing, Garmin will not allow them to publish that) you will be able to buy for at least the same or better than the ice fishing show price, less tax.  Make sure you know the difference between the two Livescope models, they do not perform the same.  If you put together the ice fishing components yourself (head unit, livescope, pole, non-garmin bag, battery), you can avoid paying for a battery you don't want anyway, then go buy one that will actually do the job.  Join the Facebook Garmin ice fishing site, read up and you will get all the information you need to put together a package that will suit you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.