Author Topic: garmin striker 4  (Read 6598 times)

Offline nova

• Team IceShanty Regular
garmin striker 4
« on: Feb 23, 2019, 08:55 AM »
HAS ANYONE BEEN USING A GARMIN STRIKER 4 WITH THE ICE FISHING BUNDLE.  IF SO HOW HAS IT BEEN WORKING, AND HOW WOULD YOU COMPARE IT TO YOUR VEX MARCUM HUMMININGBIRD UNITS IF YOU HAVE A "DEDICATED ICE UNIT".  I HAVE A VEXILAR FL 8SE AND WAS WONDERING IF I WOULD GAIN ANYTHING GETTING THE ICE BUNDLE FOR MY GARMIN.  THANKS

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: garmin striker 4
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2019, 09:06 AM »
I got one for my son and it's a pretty impressive unit, lots of screens to chose from, depth is as accurate as my marcum, plus it has GPS.

Offline nova

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2019, 09:30 AM »
THANK YOU ALSO ANOTHER QUESTION I HAVE THE STRIKER 4 WITH DOWN VU ARE YOU ABLE TO USE THE DOWN VU OPTION WITH THE ICE DUCER

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2019, 09:45 AM »
Not sure about that, don't have that option on mine.

Offline nova

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2019, 09:53 AM »
OK THANK YOU

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2019, 10:35 PM »
I just got this unit, trying it in the morning for the first time. I will report back. Did a lot of research before getting this unit. Lots of good reviews
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2019, 10:48 PM »
It works well, helped my son catch a few more fish and we've only used it a couple of times, but it seems to be a solid unit, easy to use and plays well with my marcum.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2019, 07:46 PM »
Does this unit have bottom zoom?  I can't tell from the description I find on line.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2019, 07:47 PM »
Does this unit have bottom zoom?  I can't tell from the description I find on line.

yes it does

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2019, 07:48 PM »
Yes

Offline johnb340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2019, 09:40 PM »
We fished last weekend for a few hours during the night with 3 of us crammed in a shanty with a Showdown 5.6 dual beam, a vex fl-8 and the garmin striker 4 and I didn't have to adjust the striker 4 which surprised me.  I added the ice ducer and fish alot of shallow water and can  manually adjust to 24 degrees which is nice.  I feel that i did gain some with this unit but time will tell and it's nice knowing it's an easy hookup to the kayak.  For the money it's a great unit.

I guess if I had to give it a negative it would be the wiring to the battery and charger are a little frail.  If I break one I'll have to redesign that setup.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2019, 10:04 PM »
We fished last weekend for a few hours during the night with 3 of us crammed in a shanty with a Showdown 5.6 dual beam, a vex fl-8 and the garmin striker 4 and I didn't have to adjust the striker 4 which surprised me.  I added the ice ducer and fish alot of shallow water and can  manually adjust to 24 degrees which is nice.  I feel that i did gain some with this unit but time will tell and it's nice knowing it's an easy hookup to the kayak.  For the money it's a great unit.

I guess if I had to give it a negative it would be the wiring to the battery and charger are a little frail.  If I break one I'll have to redesign that setup.

Yea, hate to have to unhook battery to charge it, only thing I don't like about, other than that it's a great unit.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2019, 04:44 PM »
anyone using this unit mounted to a handle bar or dashboard, then taking it into a shanty? Thanks

Offline rspice1984

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2019, 08:51 PM »
I bought one last season and it worked out great. Not going to be the best but it will do what you need it to do
What happens in the shanty....stays in the shanty

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 10, 2019, 05:56 AM »

I know I'm late to the party but I have been using my striker 4 for 3 seasons now and I absolutely love it. Not one bad thing to say about it. and to fix the battery wiring issue, I wired up a quick connect plug to mine so all I have to do is simply unplug from the unit and plug the charger in. It makes it nicer than having to pull it off the terminals of the battery.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #15 on: Nov 10, 2019, 08:09 AM »
I know I'm late to the party but I have been using my striker 4 for 3 seasons now and I absolutely love it. Not one bad thing to say about it. and to fix the battery wiring issue, I wired up a quick connect plug to mine so all I have to do is simply unplug from the unit and plug the charger in. It makes it nicer than having to pull it off the terminals of the battery.

How about the small screen? Easy enough to read?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 10, 2019, 08:11 AM »
I have had no issues at all with it. I can see it clear as day across my hut, and you can zoom right in on the bottom and just focus on that if you are not fishing the whole column.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #17 on: Nov 10, 2019, 08:31 AM »
Im a hardcore flasher guy and just got a garmin striker 5 plus.im hoping its easy to setup.one thing i dont like already is using the ice ducer you lose the ability to use clearvu and cant run flasher and graph at the same time.if i bought the open water ducer i would have more options but probably dont need it all for icefishing.im liking the clear visible screen but time will tell once i get it out on the ice.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #18 on: Nov 10, 2019, 08:50 AM »
Im a hardcore flasher guy and just got a garmin striker 5 plus.im hoping its easy to setup.one thing i dont like already is using the ice ducer you lose the ability to use clearvu and cant run flasher and graph at the same time.if i bought the open water ducer i would have more options but probably dont need it all for icefishing.im liking the clear visible screen but time will tell once i get it out on the ice.

Keep us updated Doc.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #19 on: Nov 10, 2019, 08:57 AM »
Keep us updated Doc.
yep i will.its going to be hard to not grab the vexilar but the only way to learn the unit is to use it I guess.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 12, 2019, 09:50 AM »
Dr Speckler- I can so identify the Vex addiction. First year I used the Humminbird 788CI for my ice unit. My Vex was packed in vehicle the first year just in case. Second year it stayed at home in garage. Third year was having garage sale. One of my customers spotted it on the back shelf. He asked is that for sale. I replied make me a decent offer. Which he did and away went the Vex.

I kept thinking I made a mistake somehow. Well that was awhile back and turns out I have not regretted it.

One of the things that convinced me the most. Being on a hot bite and being able to waypoint the spot. Also loved the map chip ability when fishing new lake. at the present I am using the Garmin echomap with the PS 22 Panoptix. Most efficient fish finding machine I have ever owned.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Nov 12, 2019, 10:08 AM »
Dont mean to highjack ..but on applicable Garmin units the Active Captain App is pretty neat ...in conjunction with with Garmins Quickdraw mapping . I have a Echomap plus 43cv mounted to a Genz box that i used to map some local lakes  that I like very much ..not certain it will be my goto ice unit ..but it may see a trip or two..

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #22 on: Nov 12, 2019, 10:15 AM »
My biggest concern is i have always had a graph fish finder in my boat but never thought they were worth a crap at locating fish and just good for depth.i fish mainly rivers open water and struggled to read my lowrance or my old humminbird.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #23 on: Nov 12, 2019, 10:17 AM »
Dont mean to highjack ..but on applicable Garmin units the Active Captain App is pretty neat ...in conjunction with with Garmins Quickdraw mapping . I have a Echomap plus 43cv mounted to a Genz box that i used to map some local lakes  that I like very much ..not certain it will be my goto ice unit ..but it may see a trip or two..
yeah my 5 plus does not have active captain but does have waypoint and contour mapping.not sure how good that will work as id have to walk all over to map a spot or lake.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Nov 12, 2019, 10:39 AM »
I have been think about mapping a small pond near me at first/black ice ..might make a pvc bracket that I can push the transducer along the ice ..maybe contained in a used box wine bag with a salt water solution and some duct putty .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 12, 2019, 12:34 PM »
How about the small screen? Easy enough to read?
  I got a great deal on a striker 4 ice bundle,the screen is way too small for my liking but I have a striker 5 on my jon  boat so I swapped screens ,my issue is it doesn't come with a ice ducer but a boat style, PITA to get set right, imo I'd hard pass and go vex if it's a value flasher you want

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 12, 2019, 12:38 PM »
  I got a great deal on a striker 4 ice bundle,the screen is way too small for my liking but I have a striker 5 on my jon  boat so I swapped screens ,my issue is it doesn't come with a ice ducer but a boat style, PITA to get set right, imo I'd hard pass and go vex if it's a value flasher you want

I bought the ice ducer for my striker 4. Works like a charm.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: Nov 12, 2019, 12:58 PM »
cant run flasher and graph at the same time.

Really?  On my striker 4 I can run a graph with A-scope on, I can’t imagine why you can’t run a graph & flasher simultaneously.  A-scope is pretty much just flasher data shown in a vertical bar.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #28 on: Nov 12, 2019, 01:12 PM »
Really?  On my striker 4 I can run a graph with A-scope on, I can’t imagine why you can’t run a graph & flasher simultaneously.  A-scope is pretty much just flasher data shown in a vertical bar.

(Image removed from quote.)
yeah i could with open water ducer I believe,but not with the ice ducer.you lose some features like split screen clearvu and traditional graph.no dual beam functions as the ice ducer isnt dual beam,i do like splitscreen traditional graph on left and zoom on any depth i choose and then ascope.i have been fiddling with it the past few day in the house.i would like flasher and graph at same time tho but didnt want to rig the open water ducer up so i got the ice pack bundle.the manual is pretty vague on features and setup but i will find out more with time using it.i havent really played with the customization features yet.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 12, 2019, 01:27 PM »
The loss of clear vu and dual beam makes sense.  The inability to run a flasher with the graph baffles me though.  I’m just using the 4 so I can’t do split screen with a flasher at all, regardless of my transducer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.