Author Topic: Hali Jig on UL Rod  (Read 5335 times)

Offline cougarr

• IceShanty Rookie
Hali Jig on UL Rod
« on: Feb 26, 2008, 11:32 PM »
hi guys, this is my first year into ice fishing and I really enjoy it.
I use tip-ups a lot but have not much success in jigging. Last saturday, however, I managed to land around 30 blue gills on a UL rod using mousies and I now have more interest in jigging.
I want to jig for perch and crappie so I went to a local bait shop and picked up some Hali jigs as shown below, and I have some questions:

1 For UL light rod, do I have a better chance using smaller hali jigs? maybe I should stick to 25mm?
2 As for colour, am I making the right selection? The first two halis in the pic look alike, I read your guys' posts and noticed that the gold and silver color ones are also recommended, so should I replace one of the first two with a gold or silver?
3 What's the best time for perch and crappie? Do you start very early on the ice, say 7am?
Thank you for your feedback and tight lines!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: Hali Jig on UL Rod
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2008, 05:39 AM »
   I have purchased the one to the right and a pink. I also have the color to the right minus the red spot and is glow. With a couple of maggots, it is deadly! (all 25mm) I have caught gills, perch, crappie, bullheads, pickerel, and rainbows. Absolutely my favorite jig, using it 90% of the time. I fish early, 6:30am - 12:00pm, and late, 3:00pm-7:00pm mostly. I do prefer the later time, usually around 5:30 on it really turns on, for me anyway...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2008, 06:52 AM »
I also have to one on the right but in glow and minus the red spot.And also one in gold.I found out the hard way with the smaller ones that the hook that came on the hali had a had time sticking larger perch and 'gills.I went a bought a slighter larger size hook made by hali and swapped out the smaller one.

They seem wo to work for me any time of day.Plus I like it as it gets down fast when the action picks up.

Good Luck  :tipup:

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:35 AM »
Just for reference I use the same setup you are talking about for jigging freshwater smelts. Around here they run maybe 4-10 inches on average but have much smaller mouths than any panfish. They work great and we have a ton of different colors. I think a blue and silver or blue and gold is a good addition to your collection as I've caught some 12-13 inch perch on them before.

Offline Ice Diva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2008, 06:39 PM »
I have the one on the right and I have a blue and silver, and a black and silver.. and they are definitely deadly.. the chartreuse is my first choice every time I go on the ice. I usually tip it with a waxworm soaked in a can of baby shrimp and then chum a little bit with the shrimp in the hole till it is fished out then chum it again and use that same rotation in however many holes it  takes to keep the action steady.. I also use fish eyes and they work great!!! and stay on the hook really well.
Ice Diva
A.K.A
Here fishy fishy fishy!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2008, 06:45 PM »
I've had my best luck on perch and gills on the perch color (right). I would add that the smallest Hali weighs in at a whopping 3/16 of an oz. I usually fish it on a light or ML action rod. Most UL rods don't come close to handling that much heft IMO. As you get into jigging more you will probably realize you need at least a couple rods to handle different conditions. I generally have at least five already rigged up before I set out, allowing for quick presentation changes. It is also a lot easier to tie small jigs on inside, under a good light.

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2008, 05:11 PM »
I've had my best luck on perch and gills on the perch color (right). I would add that the smallest Hali weighs in at a whopping 3/16 of an oz. I usually fish it on a light or ML action rod. Most UL rods don't come close to handling that much heft IMO. As you get into jigging more you will probably realize you need at least a couple rods to handle different conditions. I generally have at least five already rigged up before I set out, allowing for quick presentation changes. It is also a lot easier to tie small jigs on inside, under a good light.

I think it really depends on how deep of water your fishing too, and your line test.  I fish with ULTRA light rods (lightest I've ever seen), and use 4lb test, and I use the heaviest/largest hali's I can find, just because I'm in around 50 fow, anything lighter just takes SO long to get back down, and when it does--jigging it seems almost non-responsive.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline ahester14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2008, 04:23 PM »
Crappie will feed during both night and day but go through spurts..Perch only feed during the day

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2008, 08:56 AM »
Crappie will feed during both night and day but go through spurts..Perch only feed during the day

i will have to disagree with perch only feeding during the day.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2008, 11:16 AM »
hi guys, this is my first year into ice fishing and I really enjoy it.
I use tip-ups a lot but have not much success in jigging. Last saturday, however, I managed to land around 30 blue gills on a UL rod using mousies and I now have more interest in jigging.
I want to jig for perch and crappie so I went to a local bait shop and picked up some Hali jigs as shown below, and I have some questions:

1 For UL light rod, do I have a better chance using smaller hali jigs? maybe I should stick to 25mm?
2 As for colour, am I making the right selection? The first two halis in the pic look alike, I read your guys' posts and noticed that the gold and silver color ones are also recommended, so should I replace one of the first two with a gold or silver?
3 What's the best time for perch and crappie? Do you start very early on the ice, say 7am?
Thank you for your feedback and tight lines!
(Image removed from quote.)
the Hali on the far right is my exact favorite. i like to tip with a few mousie grubs and then lower it down to the bottom and give it a couple of cranks up. (maybe about afoot off the bottom). then i just lift and drop 2 times then wait . i repeat this till i find what col um the fish are in.  then it on like donkey Kong. happy fishing!
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.