Author Topic: spring bobbers  (Read 35871 times)

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
spring bobbers
« on: Jan 16, 2006, 02:04 PM »
Did anyone catch the ice fishing show on Outdoor Channel on Sat? There were some guys using spring bobbers for Crappie and it was really amazing. The crappies were biting so light that the only way to tell if they were biting was to watch the spring bobber move UP not down. It looks like they actually bump the bait UP as they hit. Very interesting. If you're a crappie fisher, you may want to try a spring bobber to "see" more bites.
packerbacker
Winners don't know they're in a race.

They just like to run.

Offline MACHINIST

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: spring bobbers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2006, 02:10 PM »
I always have some spring bobbers with me.If you catch crappies going up with the bait because of a slack line it is time to put one on.

Offline walicehuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on........
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2006, 04:18 PM »
I have spring bobbers on all of my jigging poles.  I've had perch hit light enough that only the spring bobber moves.  It really is a critical item to have on your jigging pole. 

Offline FishinFoool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2006, 05:03 PM »
I also use spring bobbers on all my Jigging rods .  There are many advantages to useing them.

1)  You can use a reel to enjoy fighting the fish.
                      2)  You can detect light biters,(as was the case on Honeoye last week)
                      3)  no messin with an in line bobber.
                      4)  Great for deeper water.
                      5) = MORE FISH!!!   ;D

Good luck useing you new bobbers once you get used to them you will never go back to any other way. ;)

The"FishinFoool" :tipup:
steve plum can't stop fishin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fishincrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The meaning of life is fishing with your friends.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2006, 05:15 PM »
I hat spring bobber but I loved that rod that had that spring bobber built right into it.  I'm going to get me a couple of those rods for sure.
All I need is ice and the fish will come.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2006, 06:28 PM »
They sure do have their advantages. I keep 4 different rods on me at all times and 2 of them have springs on them. Those new St. Croix's with the springs built in are awesome. They are a little pricey, but what the heck, you get what you pay for.

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2006, 06:46 PM »
i already got thos rods lol well ill tell u a secret when a crappie hits and u miss him raise ur rod about 3 feet then let it down very slowly :tipup:and watch ur line that fish will hit it on the way down ;D b/c crappi whont hit a bait when it is below him b/c there to stuck up to go down and get it so try it it will increase ur catch
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline icetime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2006, 08:31 PM »
WHAT ABOUT FREEZE-UPS ANY PROBLEMS?

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2006, 08:51 PM »
i already got thos rods lol well ill tell u a secret when a crappie hits and u miss him raise ur rod about 3 feet then let it down very slowly :tipup:and watch ur line that fish will hit it on the way down ;D b/c crappi whont hit a bait when it is below him b/c there to stuck up to go down and get it so try it it will increase ur catch
crappie won't hit a bait when its below him because they look up...not down...has something to do with the placement of their eyes...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline Sunburn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2006, 10:20 PM »
I've used spring bobbers in the past and don't anymore.  I feel with the new jigging poles out (my favorite is the HT iceblue 18) you don't need any type of bobber.  They are so sensitive you can see the rod tip move up on a lift hit.  Also, spring bobbers tend to freeze up and I think take away from hooksetting quickness/power.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2006, 11:25 AM »
OK, I got to ask.  What the heck is a "spring bobber"?  How is it different from a "traditional bobber" or an "ice fishing bobber"?

Thanks.

Offline edbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get up and lets go fishin Gilly Bone..
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2006, 11:56 AM »
first-you get your chainsaw out of the shed-then you head to sodus and cut a 8x8ft hole-get the 4x4 out of the truck-tie on a one inch diameter x 40ft long piece of neopreme rope-hook a 1964 vw spring onto a tractor trailer innertube-grab the first seagull you see stealing your shantybuddys perch-tie it on and jig jig jig---tight lines
Grab me another Chelada Paiz..

Offline theozon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • you got to hook'em to cook'em baby
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2006, 12:03 PM »
OK, I got to ask.  What the heck is a "spring bobber"?  How is it different from a "traditional bobber" or an "ice fishing bobber"?

Thanks NOT REALLY A BOBBER. SHOULD BE CALLED A STRIKE DETECTOR. IT'S A SMALL PIECE OF SPRING STEEL WITH A EYELET ON THE END. YOU ATTACH IT TO THE END OF YOUR ROD AND THREAD THE LINE THRU THE EYELET. IT HELPS TO DETECT LIGHT BITES.

bigdave1018

« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:29 PM »
theozon, thanks for the right info on spring strike indicators. edbone, you spend way toooooooooooo much time by yourself. tell it like it is.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:37 PM »
I really like spring bobber in a house, with a vexlar to make sure I get back to the same depth.  I have tried about 6 different types, due to freeze up and such and I really like the Frabil Panfish Popper springs.  When you are outside and it is cold, you really can't beat and Ice Buster bobber though. 

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:51 PM »
ive used spring bobbers exclusively in the past and the freezing up really p's a guy off keep a cpl rods handy to try and fight this occurance cuz you need to keep your bait in the water. I now use the camera dont need any indicator other than watching the fish inhale your favorite jig.
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2006, 05:18 PM »
I love spring bobbers and could not imagine fishing without them.  I prefer the one's made from piano wire and have a plastic bead on the end.  They do not freeze up like the flat ones do.  They're hard to find but worth the extra search.

Ranger :tipup:

Offline fzgil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2006, 04:36 PM »
first-you get your chainsaw out of the shed-then you head to sodus and cut a 8x8ft hole-get the 4x4 out of the truck-tie on a one inch diameter x 40ft long piece of neopreme rope-hook a 1964 vw spring onto a tractor trailer innertube-grab the first seagull you see stealing your shantybuddys perch-tie it on and jig jig jig---tight lines
Ok I'll do it but where do you get the one inch diameter x 40ft long piece of neopreme rope?

Offline bwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • To fish or not to fish...is a stupid question
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2006, 01:33 AM »

Thanks.

click this link http://hickorytech.net/~jbusby/equipment.html#Ice_Fishing_Bobbers_Spring_Bobbers_

There is a whole bunch about bobbers, spring and others there.
The moon is much smaller than the earth, however, it is much farther away.

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2006, 08:18 AM »

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2006, 05:04 PM »
click this link http://hickorytech.net/~jbusby/equipment.html#Ice_Fishing_Bobbers_Spring_Bobbers_

There is a whole bunch about bobbers, spring and others there.

It's okay to use them during all seasons not just SPRING !!

;D  :D  ;D  :D  ;D  :D  :D  :D

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Sunburn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2006, 11:42 PM »
Spring bobbers are junk.  Maybe if someone fishes with the old stiff wooden junk rods of the past they might help. Or maybe if someone can't seem to pay attention to their line they could help.  But all they do for me is freeze up and put more slack in my rig preventing good hook setting. 

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2006, 08:54 PM »
If you use them you'll get more fish at the end of the day Sunburn. Some days you can tight line as good as you can get them with the spring, but day in and day out the spring will get you more fish.

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:42 PM »
I have a couple of the flat steel sb's, and they came with shrink tubing to mount them.  The tubing wasn't working very well (I've used the stuff on wiring before, so I know how it works)  is there any other way to attach that type of spring bobber, or should I get some better quality shrink tubing?  thanks for any info!
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline bwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • To fish or not to fish...is a stupid question
« Reply #24 on: Mar 06, 2006, 02:32 PM »
I have tried tape, electrical etc, but I didn't like it.  My latest method is using a piece of sewing thread wrapped around like the done for putting guides on a rod. I used a careful smear of crazy glue.  In another thread, someone used clear nail polish.  I think that would be better. 

I have only used the flat spring type bobbers as shown in the image towards the beginning of this thread posted by jigginstick.

The moon is much smaller than the earth, however, it is much farther away.

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 06, 2006, 02:38 PM »
Thanks, I thought about wrapping it before.  That sounds like the most reliable connection.
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline mnfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Sep 01, 2006, 12:38 PM »
I am new to ice fishing (a few years).  I bought the Frabill rods with the spring bobbers on them (Poppers?).  I hated them and ended up removing the springs and using ice busters.  Then I got turned onto some custom rods and custom built springs sized for the rods.  O my gosh were they the bomb.  Those rods and a vex and I was loving life.  I did very well panfishing with them.  If you were outside of a shanty and it was very cold, they did freeze up occasionally.  Look up thorne bros on google and check out there stuff.  Expensive, but worth the money in my opinion.

Interesting story for those that hate them.

4 of us go out fishing for crappies.  2 of us are new to ice fishing, but love the spring bobber setup.  The 3rd was an experienced ice fisherman, but loved the ice buster bobbers.  4th was not experienced, and just thought that setup was a waste of money.  End results.  2 new guys with the custom setup both limit out in 1 1/2 hours.  Experienced limited out in like 4 hours (missed alot of hits with the icebuster).  4th never did limit out.

CSP88

« Reply #27 on: Sep 01, 2006, 02:35 PM »
Also check out the St.Croix "Legend" ice rods....these have the spring bobber built in.  They work great for picking up the subtle biters.

Chad

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Sep 15, 2006, 09:39 AM »
fish307 carries one modle that works great.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Sep 15, 2006, 08:18 PM »
You can also buy the spring bobbers from St. Croix and attach it yourself.  I did these myself and put them onto my Genz Rods.  A cheap way out instead of spending $50.00 from St.Croix to get their spring bobbers.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.