Author Topic: Bro Bugs?  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
Bro Bugs?
« on: Nov 08, 2011, 05:29 AM »
just bought some bro bugs for the first time, they seem awful big for bluegill. Do you guys usually use a size 10 jig then downsize to a 12 when the bite gets tough? Can't believe I have to ask that question, ice fished for years, but I must be getting old, I can't remember what size jigs to buy, so I could use yer fellers help. thanks.
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Bro Bugs?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2011, 10:16 AM »
My start point is a #14 (4mm Wolfram, no sinkers needed) on 'gills'. Most times when I hit the ice I'll hear that they're there, just not biting. These people are using #10s, or so, with at minimum of a waxie or clump of spikes. The fish are there, just not into a big meal at the moment. But like us when we're not hungry, we'll munch between meals. During the usual dawn and dusk feeding flurry they'll hit most anything in any size they come across, easy pickings. When it stops they've become either really specific, due to a hatch/movement of some creature or more neutral and they'll eat something small if put in their face but won't really pursue it any distance. How often do you get false hits? Usually they're from a decent fish sucking on your sinker with a big juicy live waxie only inches away, and it can go on like that for hours. Present baits small, if they're hungry they'll hit it, if in a more neutral mood there's a decent chance they'll at least give it a taste and just simply stare at that big meal 

Offline doubletreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2011, 09:33 AM »
I always start with #14...and they never seem to fail me. I use #14 gill getters though, haven't tried the bro bug yet. I feel like #10 are too big and I dont get as many fish.
Michigan State University

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:05 AM »
#10 is pretty big for gills.  Might be good for crappie in situations.  Gills - start at 12, go smaller...

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2011, 04:29 PM »
thanks for info--I'll go with the 14's and 12's--the bro bug and bro bloodworms look huge, hope I didn't buy something I can't use. I bought the jammingjigs bonus pack a few years ago and have lost all the horizontal jigs. I'll get me some gill pills. any suggestions on a heavy horizontal jig I can fish outdoors and hold my line straight in the wind?
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2011, 05:35 PM »
thanks for info--I'll go with the 14's and 12's--the bro bug and bro bloodworms look huge, hope I didn't buy something I can't use. I bought the jammingjigs bonus pack a few years ago and have lost all the horizontal jigs. I'll get me some gill pills. any suggestions on a heavy horizontal jig I can fish outdoors and hold my line straight in the wind?
Any tungsten jig will be a good choice.  Im partial to Fiskas epoxy jigs, primarily in the 4mm and 5mm size.  I typically start with the 5mm to see if can find active feeders...if they are finicky down size to the 4mm or possibably even the 3mm.  The only problem i have with the 3mm size is the hook is pretty small and larger gills dont always get good hook placement.
]

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2011, 08:38 PM »
I have caught more trout on northland jigs than panfish!
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:56 PM »
ive had sucess on 10 12 and 14 mud bugs from northland for gills and perch and have also had great success using thier bloodworm for crappies after dark in a size 10 and 12

Offline jiggincrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:15 AM »
The mud bugs work great for gills and perch.

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:13 PM »
4mm Fiskas...seem to be the right size and more often than not you're able to weed the smaller ones out since its slightly bigger for their taste. Best luck tipped with a waxie sometimes a plastic wedgie. ALWAYS GLOW!

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:39 AM »
thanks for the info--went to the new bass pro in peoria,il. and got the fiskas, but I was in such a hurry I forgot to get the glow!!!! oh well, between the surgery I have to have and the lack of ice here in central il. doesn't look like I'd be fishing this year anyway.

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CAPTAIN OF THE F.O.P. ICE FISHING TEAM.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2012, 03:37 PM »
good choice on the fiskas, you can just leave that other stuff at home if you have them, also get some micro nuggie plastics for the fiskas then you dont need any bait, this is the way to go!!!!!!! i recommend white, red, and black!!!! good luck great fishin    D.T.
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline hobobob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:51 AM »
It's one of my go to. size 12 for most situation. size 14 for finesse days.  Good hook, heavy weight ( not tungsten heavy ). What's not to like?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.