Author Topic: Homemade Flip over Shelters  (Read 18915 times)

Offline jase_law

• IceShanty Rookie
Homemade Flip over Shelters
« on: Oct 01, 2012, 03:09 PM »
Hello all.  This is my first post on this great site.  I have found a lot of really good information but not quite what I ave been looking for.  I am curious is anyone has constructed their own 2-3 man flip over style shelter.  I have tried searching the forums but have not had any success. I have come across some great ideas for constructing portable shelters though.  I will not be using a snow machine or ATV to be pulling so weight is slightly an issue.  Any ideas are welcome even if they are not flip over.  I am willing to buy but, I like the satisfaction of using something that I have built(goes along the lines of catching a fish on a fly that you have tied yourself)

Also, has anyone thought of way to build a portable shelter(something along the lines of the Ontario shelter that would be able to be compacted down to fit in the back of a car with the seats down)  Something I wanted to put out there are not everyone has a truck to transport nor a snow machine/ATV. 

I hope this opens up an interesting development of knowledge that since the advent of the internet, has been able to be spread so easy across minds.

Veteran getting back into the swing of things

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
Re: Homemade Flip over Shelters
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2012, 03:20 PM »

Welcome aboard jase_law. Last yr. there was a fisherman had the same sort of problem, about the car thing, I don't know what he came up with. On building your own flip over, I think you would have to @ least buy the sled part. I don't think you could construct anything light enough. Then you could get your own material to make the poles, then buy some fabric & sew it to fit. I do think it would be a lot more economical to buy. Now if you wanted to build a hardside shanty, that would be more doable. jmo Good luck!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2012, 03:32 PM »
You can purchase poles, tents etc.  Older models are a bit cheaper then newer...
http://clamoutdoors.com/ice_fishing/tackle-storage.html

there has been a cpl members who have made their own flip over shanties using conduit and a cheap tarp.  But I'm not sure of where those post / pictures are at. 

Your imagination (and financial situation) are your only limits !!

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2012, 03:32 PM »
I don't know if it will fit in a car, but the Clam Nanook (not the thermal one) for me has been the easiest pulling(on foot, always) I researched every flipover on the market and money was not a problem. I wanted the best for my style of fishing. It weighs 80 lbs and has a LOT of room, as I use it as a one man. I only put one seat in, but 2 guys could fish in it if need be. I pull with a harness made by Clam also. 299$ for the shack. It has a back door, too. So you can shovel a bunch of snow around the skirt to keep wind out and still come and go as your tip-ups go off. My dog likes it too.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline pikemaster1

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2012, 03:52 PM »

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2012, 03:54 PM »
Welcome to the shanty and the addiction it is.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2012, 04:04 PM »
With the advent of hub shelters my flip over is seeing much less use. 

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2012, 04:20 PM »
i made a one man flip over similar to the linked post above, but used a plastic sled. I didnt copy any one type exactly but i found shappell manualshttp://www.shappell.com/manuals.html to give the best blueprint examples.

I used 1/2 conduit which is cheap and relatively light. 10' sections were perfect for a one man flip over without having to cut any tubes

I found the hardest part to be the sewing ( I am ok at it and the wife is worse). The problem is you want a really tight fit of the material so the wind doesnt move it around too much. I used some high quality fabric from a local outdoor fabric seller http://www.owfinc.com/ It turned out decent but i still have slack spots due to unequal tight spots around the frame (It is put away  snug as a bug right now or i would take pictures for you)

A two man would be harder in that you would have to install the frame sideways on the sled, which would mean you need to have collapsible poles, and the fabric would be harder to fit.

My cost was around $80 bucks but i already had a sled ($40 sled). So i have a flip over that cost me $120 and i could have bought one for $200. I wouldnt do it again.

Offline jase_law

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 2012, 04:39 PM »
Thanks for the input so far. Getting the material isn't so much of a problem.(so far there should be no cost out of pocket) If I choose to go the homemade route I will be starting with a 6 1/2ft sled that I will be getting from the military base here, that is used as part of the winter warfare training. I have a few ideas scribbled down on paper and a few more floating around in my head.

The only thing that I am having a hard time coming up with is what to use for the collapsable tubes.
Veteran getting back into the swing of things

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2012, 05:06 PM »

I stand corrected, the fact that you can get all the material you have it made. :flex: :clap:

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 01, 2012, 07:43 PM »
            Welcome aboard jase_law. Last yr. there was a fisherman had the same sort of problem, about the car thing, I don't know what he came up with. On building your own flip over, I think you would have to @ least buy the sled part. I don't think you could construct anything light enough. Then you could get your own material to make the poles, then buy some fabric & sew it to fit. I do think it would be a lot more economical to buy. Now if you wanted to build a hardside shanty, that would be more doable. jmo Good luck!

I think that fisherman was me. Could not find a flipover to fit in the trunk of my car.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #12 on: Oct 01, 2012, 07:48 PM »
I did a homemade 1 person flipover project that would bolt to any standard JetSled a bunch of years ago. The framework is easy enough, it's the cover that requires a talent or friends (or both). I cheated since I had neither. ;)

For a 2 or 3 man, you'd need to use different diameters of conduit for telescoping. The spring tab thumb buttons you use to hold and release the extensions open are available online. They rivet in place IIRC. And for the roof bows you'd want to borrow a hand bender for conduit. Do a 90 degree test bend, measure the length of the curve, and with further measuring and marking, you can bend consistently wide bows.

For the curious, here's the link to project Frahillbilly: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=85267.msg837206#msg837206

It's still in my basement. Want it? PM me and come pick it up. Please!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #13 on: Oct 01, 2012, 10:28 PM »
heres a link to a thread about building a clam voyager all except the tarp was homemade

building a clam voyager

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #14 on: Oct 01, 2012, 10:47 PM »
Welcome to the Shanty!

Offline top jimmy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 02, 2012, 06:17 PM »
i made a pretty light one out of the pick up bed liner some old down hill skies & a old tent , it's not much too look at but it keeps me dry & out of the weather

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.