Author Topic: Best Ultra Light Reel?  (Read 8761 times)

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Best Ultra Light Reel?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 15, 2006, 03:59 PM »
The model 3 of these reels is one of the best ever made.

(Image removed from quote.)

:roflmao: :roflmao:  No thanks!!

Offline NickN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Nov 25, 2006, 06:23 PM »
Shimano Symetry 750

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2007, 01:02 AM »
I just ordered 4 okuma ignite 2007 models Look like a tica cetus. i will post a review soon.
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:27 PM »
Love the "Tiny Deadbolt" by Pinnacle. Instant anti-reverse,fat bail wire,and smooth drag. Very solid reel for about $20.
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 23, 2007, 10:25 PM »

I haven't invested the same in my ice fishing reels as I have for my open water ones. I have only Shimano's for open, they are pricey, but well worth it and seem to last forever if you take care of them. Ice fishing (for me), I'm not catsing, only opening the bail, so I look for smooth action, smooth tight reeling, and a good drag thats also smooth and easy to adjust. I just went to Gander and got a Cardinal reel that's really smooth on a Berkley Lightning Ice rod as a combo, and a Guide series that was comparable, not as smooth, but 5 bucks cheaper for the combo and I like it. $20- 25 for either. I also have a Silstar that's my oldest and withstood a swim for about an hour before I got it back along with a cheap Panfish Puller combo reel that took a dunk. Still using both (Berkley Hot Sauce, great stuff). I also have a Shakespere but it's my least favorite. Not very smooth at all. I fish for panfish with my jigging reels and I don't need large line capacity and that is a part of it too. I used to just hand over hand on an old wooden handle rod with a plastic reel thought for years. It took me a while to even use the reel without putting it down and hand reeling out of habit. Lots of choices out there, I've looked at the Tica's, they look good for the price. Ice gear does get beat up over the years too, another thing to think about.

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 09, 2007, 10:25 PM »
I have used all of these reels. The TICA and the high end OKuma ultralights and the Daiwa ultra light and the higher end quantum ultra lights are TINY and fantastic. They are comparerable and great deals. The OKUMA Aveon is the most expensive and in my opinion the best ...here's why it have an aluminum body, rotor and spool it is brand new like $90 and you will have to find it through Okuma. That said I think they are all designed in the USA or Japan and maufactured at same factory in China. I have them I love them it is the wave of the future. BUT: What I have decided to do for next season is to break out all my favorite reels from the past. Change to Frabill ice lube and hot sauce replace all worn springs and parts and use my Classic ultralights as ice rods!
I have 2 Penn 716z's
2 garcia mitchell 308's
2 garcia mitchell 408's
and a metal bodied Penn 420ss
I have them with xtra spools backed with braid and a top shot of Berkley Crystal ice braid. It cost me more than buying new Tica's or Okuma's but I love those reels and at 45 years old I want to use them for the rest of my days.
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 10, 2007, 01:01 PM »
Tica Cetus reels are the best I have used. I have almost changed all my reels for ice fishing over to Tica.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.