Author Topic: In your honest opinion what's better dewalt or milwaukee?  (Read 7916 times)

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
In your honest opinion what's better dewalt or milwaukee? By looking at the products they offer I am leaning to dewalt cause of the ds450 the tough system charger and the dewalt heated jacket.. and the dewalt 996 hammer drill with 820 uwo for my 8 inch nils.. but what does milwaukee offer compared to all of the above?? I am using the ds450 as a tackle station for river fishing around here.. same with the jacket and etc is why I ask do you think with all this that the milwaukee is better??

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: In your honest opinion what's better dewalt or milwaukee?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2016, 04:47 PM »
Carpenter for 14yrs, Dewalt all the way!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2016, 04:55 PM »
Thank you was leaning towards the m18 fuel till I started finding all the gear that had for dewalt now iam leaning and falling on dewalt lol's

Offline El Matador

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2016, 05:14 PM »
I've been a contractor for over 20 years and there is no single brand I prefer.  I pick and choose my tools based on personal fit and which features I like.  DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Ridgid, Bosch, etc. all make good tools and I own a few of each.  Now I will say that Milwaukee batteries used to suck, but that has changed a lot in recent years.  Now days they are supposedly the very best lithium batteries available for cold weather.  As a disclaimer I have not used  Milwaukee cordless tools for several years but the new ones get excellent reviews.    I have used the Dewalt lithium stuff but I prefer Makita cordless tools personally.  If you plan on getting a whole bunch of tools that use the same battery packs then I'd go play around with each of the tools at the store.  Figure out which ones fit you best.  You may end up being sold on a particular brand or you may end up like me with some of each. 

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2016, 05:14 PM »
Well since Dewalt has to put their stuff in Unit watts out I had to do some google research on how to convert each one.

I found this formula which allows you to convert inch lbs to max unit watts output.  Speed (RPM) x Torque (inch pounds) / 560  = Max Watts Out  (estimated)

The dewalt you listed has a low speed of 450 rpm and it lists 820.
http://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/drills/drills-and-hammer-drills/20v-max-xr-lithium-ion-brushless-3speed-hammerdrill-kit/dcd996b

The Mil M18 2704-22 has 1200 in lbs tq and spins 550 rpms in low speed.  So.. 550*1200/560=1178 max watts output.

By looking at both the Mil spins 100 rpms faster and will have higher Torque compared to the Dewalt.  Does this make the Dewalt a bad drill, probably not.  You can read a better explanation of how watts output works with the link below.

https://www.protoolreviews.com/buying-guides/max-watts-out/13109/
Don

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2016, 05:50 PM »
I have been buying cordless tools since the batteries were built in on the little Makita drills. I was a DeWalt fan for many years, but their batteries suck and are expensive. I have the new Makita set and I love it, but the quality of Rigid is hard to  beat and if you buy the tools at Home Depot and register them, the batteries are warrantied.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

luv2fish2

« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2016, 06:40 PM »
never had milwaukee till i got the k drill love it and i have the older 2604 , i thinks its more about batteries in the cold than the actual drill i never warm mine and i haven't had a problem yet

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2016, 06:53 PM »
Ol Mil

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2016, 07:43 PM »
I was a dewalt guy. My first milwaukee was the Brushless fuel drill with 725in/lbs. Now I buy Milwaukee tools. They just seem better built. I think they all have decent quality though.

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2016, 08:37 PM »
Got my first milwaukee last summer. Hooked it up to my 8 inch auger and it is amazing. I would buy it again and again I beat the crap out of it and it just keeps going. I even used it with a paddle bit to plant 220 cloves of garlic haha! I will also use it to clean my chimney with this handy chimney cleaning attachment I've found. Cordless drills have come a long way and I have 0 complaints with my milwaukee.

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2016, 08:53 PM »
I don't know which is better because I don't work in construction to have a bunch of experience with either, but Milwaukee makes heated coats and hoodies too I think at a similar price point

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2016, 08:55 PM »
I don't know which is better because I don't work in construction to have a bunch of experience with either, but Milwaukee makes heated coats and hoodies too I think at a similar price point

Thinking about milwaukee but they don't got the tough box system and the portable battery charger and radio combo for the tough box system..

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2016, 09:19 PM »
Thinking about milwaukee but they don't got the tough box system and the portable battery charger and radio combo for the tough box system..

Dewalt might be your guy then if that's stuff you want and Milwaukee doesn't offer it. I got a Milwaukee because of great reviews and I found it for $200 thanks to the good people on here. I don't need to buy a whole set of matching tools for work so it felt like the best fit for me and I haven't looked at much else in their tool line. I've got my eye on a heated hoodie though is how I knew they had that. It does sound nice to press a button or something if you're feeling cold and be able to power a phone in a pinch

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2016, 11:00 PM »
Black and Decker has a new 9.6v turbo electric coming out for black friday at Walmart that could be a real game changer in the ice drill auger world. The drill motor is the next evolution of brushless technology that employs peiso electric wafers which make 10x the torque of a brushless drill motor. It has a self contained battery that you can plug in to a optional solar panel (for $14.99) that could provide power between holes and top off the battery for Maximum performance. The titanium cobalt chuck is much much lighter than any other chuck on the market and total drill weight comes in right under 6 ounces. Amperage Watt volts are 3700 newton/lbs which is enough ft/lbs of torque to get a tugboat up on plane. The UNLIMITED lifetime warranty is what has completely sold me on this unit and made me a believer. I'm currently listing all of my Milwaukee tools and batterys on Craigslist to come up with the $39 black friday price tag to make battery powered drill auger history............. Bwaaaaaaaahhhhhaaaaaa!!!!! I hope some of you see the humor and irony in this post, its only for a grin or two. Of course my vote is for MILWAUKEE!!!!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2016, 12:36 AM »
. I was a DeWalt fan for many years, but their batteries suck and are expensive.

That's what iam worried about with the dewalt batteries sucking  and expensive reason iam thinking they suck is they got a battery to do the chargeing of  your batteris attached  to a radio.. makes me wonder how good dewalt really is..  that's were it tough cause they offer so much gear compared to milwaukee for boxes and milwaukee offered more electronic tools and so on like Ice scratcher shows ...

it really is a pain In the arse trying to decided what's better when their two of the best brands out there..  what I need is a adaptor for the dewalt tough charger for milwaukee batteries I would for sure buy milwaukee tools at that point if you see the problem I can't find a adaptor ... only if the batteries were the same for milwaukee to dewalt I would have no problem mixing and matching products..

By the way ice scratcher that adaptor you show is a good idea dewalt has the same thing integrated in to that cord less tool battery charger/ radio.. via a USB port..

The problem I am having is are the batteries as good as milwaukee and is the 820 uwo rating the same as a 725 inch pound drill ?? Still trying to find these out..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2016, 12:39 AM »
Black and Decker has a new 9.6v turbo electric coming out for black friday at Walmart that could be a real game changer in the ice drill auger world. The drill motor is the next evolution of brushless technology that employs peiso electric wafers which make 10x the torque of a brushless drill motor. It has a self contained battery that you can plug in to a optional solar panel (for $14.99) that could provide power between holes and top off the battery for Maximum performance. The titanium cobalt chuck is much much lighter than any other chuck on the market and total drill weight comes in right under 6 ounces. Amperage Watt volts are 3700 newton/lbs which is enough ft/lbs of torque to get a tugboat up on plane. The UNLIMITED lifetime warranty is what has completely sold me on this unit and made me a believer. I'm currently listing all of my Milwaukee tools and batterys on Craigslist to come up with the $39 black friday price tag to make battery powered drill auger history............. Bwaaaaaaaahhhhhaaaaaa!!!!! I hope some of you see the humor and irony in this post, its only for a grin or two. Of course my vote is for MILWAUKEE!!!!

Lol's wish it was true??

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2016, 12:41 AM »
Its kinda true, In my honest opinion i think Milwaukee is the better option...

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2016, 12:50 AM »
Looking at what I just found out is the thing I though had a battery in it for portable charging does not so it just canceled dewalt out totally and looking more at the milwaukee drills now..

Though this had a battery In it for portable chargeing from what I found out it does not so it looks like milwaukee is better..

http://m.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-ToughSystem-Music-Charger-DWST08810/206139277

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2016, 01:12 AM »
If by portable you mean a car charger. Milwaukee has a 12v car charger available.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2016, 01:24 AM »

At shack man shoney

No I read on another site that that radio had a battery in it for charging other batteries now I find out it does not. So now looking at milwaukee totally.. and not looking back..

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2016, 01:08 PM »
It's always been a Ford/Chevy debate but Milwaukee just went ahead with the Fuel and better batteries with brushless motor technology . DeWalt has now entered the brushless battle so the arguments will start again. I do have a few Fuel products though and they are more powerful than most people will ever need. 1200#'s of torque on the drill!!! All the reviews are very good on the Milwaukee's so far so DeWalt has some catching up to do. A friend at Home Depot told me they get more complaints on DeWalt than all the other quality brands but HD is in bed with Milwaukee, both the Ridgid and Ryobi line are made by Milwaukee.

Offline biggmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2016, 01:18 PM »
 I own a deburring shop and have been using cordless drills for 25 years. So far Milwaukee fuel are the best , and we use them in a tough environment metal chips grinding dust and so on. We run them sometimes for 4 hours straight most others overheat or switches fail.

Offline HardWaterHunter1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 21, 2016, 01:27 PM »
Milwaukee all the way ;D
Fish all you can.

Offline ejdelvo28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2016, 02:33 PM »
This is the type of question where you're going to get 50 people giving 51 different answers.  Both are very good and will do the job well.  They each have their own advantages, it's best to just do a ton of homework.  Ideally you'll want to try both out before pulling the trigger but you can't always do that.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 21, 2016, 02:36 PM »
i run milwaukee sawzall's, dewalt cordless products (just bought a milwaukee), and makita corded drills. 

i've been on hundreds of jobsites and the one product that i see the most of is dewalt 

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 21, 2016, 02:46 PM »
milwaukee vote here! especially if you're using it for drilling holes as they now come with 9 amp hour batteries.
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 21, 2016, 02:52 PM »
I work maint. in a machine shop. We've been using Dewalt for many years and seemed ok, but with the age of Lithium Ion and brushless drills its seemed to change.  WE are starting to change over to milwaulkee and i believe they are better made drills.  We use them pretty hard in all temps.  I do believe Dewalt use to own the market but not so sure anymore. IMO.  I just bought a Milwaukee 18v fuel drill (2704), did not get the hammer version because its not any difference as far as internally. I got it from Home Depot online for $279.99, it comes with 5.0ah batteries and they also threw in an extra battery (3).

Offline Buttonbuckslayer!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 21, 2016, 08:12 PM »
I have the newest fuel for home/ice use and the top of the line Xrp at work.  It honestly just comes down to ergonomics for me.  They're both great drills.  They both have tons of power and batteries seem to perform about the same.  I like the way the Milwaukee feels in hand a little better.  The chuck has been better on the dewalt though.  The Milwaukee loosens itself up easier and sometimes gets bits locked in it to the point that it takes 2 guys or a vice to get it out.  My first one got returned when a bit got locked in it and the vice damaged the chuck body getting it out.  I'm more carful and patient with my second one.

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 21, 2016, 08:23 PM »
I work in a taconite pellet plant. We use lots of cordless impacts. It's not a matter of if but when they will die. Milwaukee lasts the longest and has the best warrenty. I send 5-6 a week out for rebuild. I have NEVER had an issue where they denied a warrenty repair. Out of probably 500+ batteries on site in 5 years I've sent TWO back and one of those was broken from a 40 drop onto concrete. The other was factory defective. They replaced both.

The said, I have dewalt at home. Just happens to be what I started out with.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.