Author Topic: Ice pranks  (Read 1785 times)

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice pranks
« on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:26 PM »
Today I watched a guy with a BB gun secretly set off his buddy's tip up flags all afternoon long (shooting from inside a flipover). The poor fella was running after nothing for about three hours. I was impressed ho he stayed excited through some dead time for the rest of us. He even felt bad he was getting all the action while no one else was getting bit.

Cruel trick, or a smart mentor?
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice pranks
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:31 PM »
Last year I was out with some buddies and me and another guy were in my flip over and the other two were in my buddies pop up.  As night hit the pranks started and one of the guys in the pop up took off his boots and tip toed to one of tip ups on our side.  When he got there he pull the tip up line and hooked up a empty handle of crown royal on the end and put it back down the hole.  Then he tripped the flag and tip toed back to the pop up.  Of course when we went to tend traps we saw the flag up and my buddy immediately grabs for it and goes to "set the hook".  The look on his face was unbelievable when he felt the weight on the end of the line.  Of course when he saw the bottle come out of the hole his face got even more priceless.

Offline punkinhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:54 PM »
My buddy and I were out with another friend and his kid.  The kid was being a pain in the butt throwing snowballs at us so I crumbled up a bunch of bread and threw it in the air where he was standing.  Within seconds a flock of gulls had him surrounded flying all around his head.  He was done throwing snowballs after that.  We had a good laugh.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2014, 09:03 PM »
a couple years ago i hooked a trout, and it pulled off some line and wrapped around the line on my buddy's rod about 5 feet away. we both thought we had a double until i realized that his "huge trout" just HAPPENED to surge every time i pulled on my end.
so i let it go dead (by this time the trout was loooong gone) and he disappointedly set his rod back down and left to go check the dead rods; i reeled the line up, tied a good solid knot between his line and mine, attached a sinker and sent it back to the bottom.

my buddy comes back, and i wait about 3 minutes before reeling up tight and giving it a good hard yank. he just stood there in stunned silence as his rod went in a perfect arc off the bucket and straight down the hole.

after consoling him for a few minutes over his terrible luck, i set the hook into a "nice one", gave it a nice fight and landed a 26" eagle claw. i said "well, dang, that's a keeper!", clipped the line, and tossed it in the fish bucket. we still laugh about it to this day.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2014, 09:24 PM »
hooked up a empty handle of crown royal on the end and put it back down the hole. 

Have done the same thing with a brick and wrapped the line around it lengthways, then reset the flag.  When the "mark" wasn't looking you try to set it off with snowballs.  Then tell him he has a flag.  When he grabs the tip-up and starts pulling the line unravels from the brick and it feels like something is pulling on the other end instead of just having dead weight. 

Many other minor pranks. 

The most elaborate was the winter after I took enough scuba diving classes and had certification and equipment to do ice dives.  We built a very good sized shack that had a large opening on one end in the floor.  The idea here was we wanted to have a sturgeon spearing shack.  Anyway...dragged it out to a local lake that is very, very popular and cut a hole in the ice with an ice saw that was big enough for a person to fit through.  Then started messing with people one day by going into the water inside the shack and started by letting things float up into tip-up and jigging holes from below.  Bobbers, full soda cans, and on and on....then popping tip-ups out of the holes from under the ice.  Hung all sorts of junk on tip-ups...shoes, 3 ring binders, coffee mugs, etc.  Good times. 

Offline Canadianiceguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2014, 10:16 PM »
lol some good ones there. last time I was out I had augured a hole just far enough so water would come up. left that area and some other people were watching my buddy and I very hard. they moved in where we left and tried using the hole. took them about 5 min to realize the hole was not all the way through.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2014, 10:22 PM »
Pranks are great fun as long as you know when to say when.
If you are spending hours pulling the same prank on the same person, then it's no longer fun....it's cruel.

It's cruel because you could possibly turn that person away from fishing entirely, and it's a sad because you are wasting so much time on a "prank" when you should be fishing!

Remember that once a prank has gone too far it borders on harassment!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2014, 10:26 PM »
a good prank is performed once and then laughed about repeatedly, not performed repeatedly and laughed about once.

Offline bowcarp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2014, 10:27 PM »

The most elaborate was the winter after I took enough scuba diving classes and had certification and equipment to do ice dives.  We built a very good sized shack that had a large opening on one end in the floor.  The idea here was we wanted to have a sturgeon spearing shack.  Anyway...dragged it out to a local lake that is very, very popular and cut a hole in the ice with an ice saw that was big enough for a person to fit through.  Then started messing with people one day by going into the water inside the shack and started by letting things float up into tip-up and jigging holes from below.  Bobbers, full soda cans, and on and on....then popping tip-ups out of the holes from under the ice.  Hung all sorts of junk on tip-ups...shoes, 3 ring binders, coffee mugs, etc.  Good times.

Now that's funny , most we ever do is put the depth finder on a unattended line
governments should fear their citizens
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”― Socrates
I miss North Dakota (least I did till the oil moved in )

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2014, 01:54 AM »
a couple years ago i hooked a trout, and it pulled off some line and wrapped around the line on my buddy's rod about 5 feet away. we both thought we had a double until i realized that his "huge trout" just HAPPENED to surge every time i pulled on my end.
so i let it go dead (by this time the trout was loooong gone) and he disappointedly set his rod back down and left to go check the dead rods; i reeled the line up, tied a good solid knot between his line and mine, attached a sinker and sent it back to the bottom.

my buddy comes back, and i wait about 3 minutes before reeling up tight and giving it a good hard yank. he just stood there in stunned silence as his rod went in a perfect arc off the bucket and straight down the hole.

after consoling him for a few minutes over his terrible luck, i set the hook into a "nice one", gave it a nice fight and landed a 26" eagle claw. i said "well, dang, that's a keeper!", clipped the line, and tossed it in the fish bucket. we still laugh about it to this day.
this is the best one I have heard of...... AWESOME

Offline waskawood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:05 AM »
Back in the olden days of real Christmas trees I had a buddy who would drill a hole close to the door of my fish house and plant his old Christmas tree in it and let it freeze. It made for a trip back home to get the saw!!
Waska

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:38 AM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:24 AM »
Back in the olden days of real Christmas trees I had a buddy who would drill a hole close to the door of my fish house and plant his old Christmas tree in it and let it freeze. It made for a trip back home to get the saw!!

Pretty funny.

We never got into pranks but it is always fun to hear whhat others do.

WS

Offline mag minnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:06 AM »

Ice ladles put up a good fight coming to the hole. Especially the 8"ers...

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:53 AM »
Many, many years ago on a lake in Northern Massachusetts, we left a buddy on the ice to watch the tip-ups while we went to a nearby diner for a quick snack. We brought him back a doughnut and a cup of Joe. It was just after dark, and when our buddy bit into his "jelly" doughnut, he found it contained not only jelly, but catsup, mustard and mayo. I can still hear him spitting and cursing!  ;D
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline wyo969

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:02 AM »
Metal ice scoops tied to a tip up work good as they spin when you pull them in.

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:10 AM »
thnks i needed a good laugh today

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:11 AM »
Some good ones here.  I've never done more than set off peoples tip ups with snowballs and shaking the soda before I give it to them.  A freezing coke literally turns into an icee/slurpee and when you shake it up it gets even better.   

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:16 AM »
haha ive done the bb gun flag trip one a few times myself...even at 28 years old it still doesn't get old...and keeps my shooting sharp hahah The best one tho we were at a tourney one weekend and my buddy was doing quite well while I was on a dry spell..i realized earlier that morning that the skinned out carcass of a big  burbot I caught the day before was still n my sled as I forgot to dump it on my way home...so when he left to register a fish I slipped into his pop-up reeled up his lure and hooked the big burbot carcasss on his line and sent it back down, and set his rod on the ice to look like a fish had pulled it down...when he came back I said Alex you might want to check ur line inside I thought I heard a rod fall he went in the shack and started hollering I got a big one some heavy! ..followed by he not fighting much tho...then you @@&*  %$%^! his reaction was priceless!
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:38 AM »
All of you guy's are rotten! I like you! :roflmao: It's been many year's since I pulled this rotten trick on my buddy! It succeeded admiralby but I still feel a little remorse for pulling it on my best friend! Oh well, what are friend's for, eh? ;D We were fishing in our permanent on Mille Lacs Lake and it was very slow. I waited until my buddy had to step outside to see a man about a horse! Quickly I pulled his line up. I had a can of sardine's all rigged and ready with a rubber band across the middle of the flat can. Which I dropped back down the hole with the bobber adjusted so it was about 6" under! Then I hollered loud,"Marlyn! You've got a bite!" He come's tearing in, all excited, and set's the hook! With the rubber band across the can his "fish" fought hard all the way up! The look on his face when he saw his "fish" was priceless! Omygawd he was pissed! :%$#!: But he got over it and we all still laugh about it to this day! Actually, I was rather proud of myself! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:DIRTBALL2 ;)2
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:37 AM »
Many, many years ago on a lake in Northern Massachusetts, we left a buddy on the ice to watch the tip-ups while we went to a nearby diner for a quick snack. We brought him back a doughnut and a cup of Joe. It was just after dark, and when our buddy bit into his "jelly" doughnut, he found it contained not only jelly, but catsup, mustard and mayo. I can still hear him spitting and cursing!  ;D
We weren't on the ice,but fixed one of our buddies a couple hotdogs with the works.What he didn't know was that we slipped a condom over the hotdogs,then added the fixins on top.Pretty funny to see his expression.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:51 AM »
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline Icer 16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:01 AM »
Some great pranks going on here.  The best one I have ever pulled was when my brother was in our shack and I was fishing outside I had drill a bunch of holes around the shack and one behind it.  I took a coat hanger and hooked his line and pulled it into my hole.  I then tied it to a junk rod I had and began to give him a real good fight.  He thought he had the biggest walleye in his life until he heard me laughing my head off behind the shack.  ;D ;D;D

Offline rabbittrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:14 AM »
Must of been a good shot to shoot  a tip up flag pole.

Offline Romby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:01 PM »
When my buddy left the shack to take a leak I tied a beer can onto his line, filled it with water and watched it sink.  I yelled to him his bobber was down and I got it hooked for him.  He ran back into the shack and when he was reeling it up he was laughing saying it was the biggest perch he ever had on and hoped he didn't lose it.  After a 35' retrieve he realized it was a bud light can that was fighting him all the way.  All in fun, we got a good chuckle out of it.
A women who has never seen her husband ice fish, doesn't know what a patient man she married!

luv2fish2

« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2014, 04:03 PM »
we were fishing together two guys in one hut  , i tied  a bell sinker on 1LB line and slipped down his hole he thought he had a fish rising to his lure on his vex while i secretly wrap the line around my hand did this for about 5 mins getting so pssed off, finally had to give in couldn't not laugh anymore funny as hell

Offline dangle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2014, 04:54 PM »

Now that's funny , most we ever do is put the depth finder on a unattended line

Offline icedd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:21 PM »
A bud of mine wound my tip ups backwards when I wasn't looking only knew I had a fish when one of them was banging around the hole

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:23 PM »
I had run around behind my buddy one night putting plastic sharks and squids on his tip ups.  Despite the 'colorful' language that was heard clear across the lake, the laughing that followed more than made up for it.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline PERCHIN101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • No Fish is Safe
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2014, 08:10 PM »
Haha!  Some good ones!  A buddy and I one day with his pop up would both get inside and pick the shack up and walk slowly toward others fishing.  Some people didn't find it to funny and would curse when we got within 30 yards, but a few friendly folks would burst out laughing when suddenly a shack was set up right out their windows!!  We would never drill holes, just messed with people.
I can smell a perch a mile away...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.