Author Topic: 4 Feet of Snow!  (Read 2280 times)

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
4 Feet of Snow!
« on: Oct 07, 2013, 08:15 PM »
I got snowed in for 4 days without power cuz of 4 feet of snow! Only an ice addict could possibly be happy about this. There won't be power at my house for a week. A neighbor dug me out with a Bobcat and I'm at my Mom's house in town now. Let's see some of you Alaskans brag now! Just kidding, it is good to get a hot shower and watch football on tv instead of listening to it on a radio in the dark. I did get caught up on reading my fishing magazines....  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Trooper Bri

Re: 4 Feet of Snow!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2013, 09:51 PM »
Almost 2 years ago CT got wailed on with a foot of wet snow. No power for a week in my hood. The trees still had a bunch of leaves on them.

I'm at the base of a wooded ridge. Went out around 10PM during the worst of it with a couple/few brews stashed in my Ice Armor and listened to nothing else but the endless cracking and breaking of 1000's of limbs and trees in the hills behind me for a long time (no power or vehicles). The kid in me loved it.

These days it means a back ache and travel from digging out myself and the relatives, but I still love big storms. As big as they get in CT anyways.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2013, 11:05 PM »
Good to hear you're safe and warm royjulius. That was a heck of a storm and sure hope to meet up with you this season.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2013, 11:50 PM »
Almost 2 years ago CT got wailed on with a foot of wet snow. No power for a week in my hood. The trees still had a bunch of leaves on them.

I'm at the base of a wooded ridge. Went out around 10PM during the worst of it with a couple/few brews stashed in my Ice Armor and listened to nothing else but the endless cracking and breaking of 1000's of limbs and trees in the hills behind me for a long time (no power or vehicles). The kid in me loved it.

These days it means a back ache and travel from digging out myself and the relatives, but I still love big storms. As big as they get in CT anyways.

well put,  i feel the same way. sucks no power, but during the storm its pretty coool.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2013, 12:12 AM »
I wish I got some of your snow at my house, even if it was only an inch or two.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2013, 07:43 AM »
At least all that snow will help cool the water down faster and if temps continue to stay down, maybe you'll have early ice. 
Chris Raymond

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2013, 07:49 AM »
Has it started to flood yet from the melting. It would be cool to see but I am glad it didn't do that anywhere near me. 1 or 2 inces would be cool. But 4' is just to much. Hope all goes well.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2013, 07:49 AM »
Good to hear you're safe and warm royjulius. That was a heck of a storm and sure hope to meet up with you this season.
Back atcha Wyo. Keep in touch when you're in the area.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2013, 07:51 AM »
Has it started to flood yet from the melting. It would be cool to see but I am glad it didn't do that anywhere near me. 1 or 2 inces would be cool. But 4' is just to much. Hope all goes well.
There is expected flooding. It was 76 degrees yesterday so its gonna be a mess for a while.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2013, 07:51 AM »
At least all that snow will help cool the water down faster and if temps continue to stay down, maybe you'll have early ice.
Let's hope!!!  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 2013, 10:04 AM »
Sorry to hear ya got whacked like that, Roy.   :pinch: Uh, what happens to all your food in the 'fridge and stuff?? Have to throw it?? I'll bet Boner's food was OK.... ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2013, 02:22 PM »
I love the thought of ice fishing soon, but hate the thought of deep snow again. It seems like yesterday I just put the snow blower away for summer. I was still snow blowing in May.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 2013, 08:18 PM »
Boner ate pretty good. I had to cook all of the thawed meat, deer, chicken, etc, on the wood stove and he ate it right with me. i buried the rest in a cooler in a snowdrift. We were like Tom Hanks and Wilson in castaway. Actually the whole thing was pretty easy as long as I had a good dog there. Ever get behind on those fishing mags that come in the mail? I'm all caught up! musta read 10 magazines while listening to football by the light of my shack leds.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline zombiejigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 08, 2013, 08:19 PM »

they say this is from leads,sd. is it? >:(

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 08, 2013, 08:27 PM »
Wow that's a lot of snow
Never to many short poles

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #15 on: Oct 08, 2013, 10:13 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I thought it was deeper than that in Leads, SD.      :woot:

I remember seeing that last season.  Alaska had been dumped on, big time !   So had Japan.

Welcome to Iceshanty, Zombiejigger.   Enjoy the fun.     ;)2

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #16 on: Oct 09, 2013, 06:15 AM »
Royjulius glad you are alright never realize how much we depend on electricity until the power goes down. Like Trooper I'm over on the east coast in south east NY.  had to deal with 2 feet of snow a couple of times from blizzards. The last big problem in this area was Hurricane Sandy thankfully I was only with out power for a day. There is still a road closed in my town due to a bridge that was washed out by Hurricane Katrina back in Aug. of 2011.
 Zombiejigger thank you for the photo and welcome to Ice Shanty . That is an unbelievable amount of snow.
Snow

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 09, 2013, 07:33 AM »
That certainly looks like Lead, and what a great photo! Welcome aboard Zombiejigger. I responded to your post about Scheels in the SD section. I guess we're gonna get more snow this upcoming Monday or Tuesday.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Mr. Clean; I agree about the electricity statement. I can't tell you how many times I had an idea about something to do and then laughed at myself for not realizing I needed juice to do it. I turned on light-switches quite a few times, so much that when I got to my parent's house in town I paused before I touched a light-switch for a few times.  ::)  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 09, 2013, 08:45 AM »
Sounds like a generator is on your wish list. 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #19 on: Oct 09, 2013, 10:48 AM »
Royjulius glad you are alright never realize how much we depend on electricity until the power goes down. Like Trooper I'm over on the east coast in south east NY.  had to deal with 2 feet of snow a couple of times from blizzards. The last big problem in this area was Hurricane Sandy thankfully I was only with out power for a day. There is still a road closed in my town due to a bridge that was washed out by Hurricane Katrina back in Aug. of 2011.
 Zombiejigger thank you for the photo and welcome to Ice Shanty . That is an unbelievable amount of snow.
Snow

How's about a little jab here, ha.  I'm writing a note to the Weather.com. They are saying Katrina's last visit was in August of 2005.     Tight lines, bro.   ;)2

Here's a link to "The Great Wall of Snow"  Thanks for showin' that one Zombiejigger.     ;)2

http://wordlesstech.com/2012/03/30/great-wall-of-snow/

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #20 on: Oct 09, 2013, 12:46 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

That must be one heck of a snow blower that cleared that. ;D

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #21 on: Oct 09, 2013, 01:07 PM »
Probably not my Ariens.  ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Online OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 09, 2013, 01:56 PM »
 :woot: That had to have been done with one of those blower trucks they use in the mountains!! What a mess when that all melts!! :whistle:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #23 on: Oct 09, 2013, 08:34 PM »
Lots of semis with power poles heading east thru MT today, including convoys of 5+ trucks traveling together.  Likely heading for the Black Hills where it appears thousands of power poles must be down.

Offline zombiejigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Oct 09, 2013, 09:10 PM »
I thought it was deeper than that in Leads, SD.      :woot:

I remember seeing that last season.  Alaska had been dumped on, big time !   So had Japan.

Welcome to Iceshanty, Zombiejigger.   Enjoy the fun.     ;)2

thanks for the welcomes. just got back on iceshanty after being off for a couple years used to go by "icezombie" when i lived in Indiana. couldn't figure out how to get my profile back up after changing my email..

great to be back tho.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #25 on: Oct 10, 2013, 05:13 AM »
Idaho Gator you are correct Katrina was in 2005 I meant Hurricane Irene. Also thank you for the link wherever the photo is from still an impressive amount of snow . Generators create problems of their own after Sandy the NY,-NJ. area had problems getting in new supplies of gasoline . This caused lines at stations and price gouging N.Y.C. even went to a odd day-even day purchasing system based on license plate numbers also limited amount of gas you could purchase. Part of the problem was people stock piling gas for their generators. Also if not installed properly you can have major problems when power is restored.
Steve

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 10, 2013, 08:51 AM »
Lots of semis with power poles heading east thru MT today, including convoys of 5+ trucks traveling together.  Likely heading for the Black Hills where it appears thousands of power poles must be down.
Yep. My house is still without power as well as all of my neighbors.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #27 on: Oct 10, 2013, 10:08 AM »
Yep. My house is still without power as well as all of my neighbors.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
True, but you shouldn't have a problem keeping yer beer cold.  ;D ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #28 on: Oct 10, 2013, 11:40 AM »
Generators create problems of their own after Sandy the NY,-NJ. area had problems getting in new supplies of gasoline . This caused lines at stations and price gouging N.Y.C. even went to a odd day-even day purchasing system based on license plate numbers also limited amount of gas you could purchase. Part of the problem was people stock piling gas for their generators. Also if not installed properly you can have major problems when power is restored.
Steve

You're in a nice place, Mr. Clean, that rarely gets a cyclone.
 I've seen fuel rationing, too, the worst of which was using diesel in a kerosene cook stove fer 10 days, gagging stench, ha.      :sick:
 Took me 28 years to wise up and leave the "First Coast", as NE FL boasts of that area, ha. That was in '67 and I don't miss any of it.      ;)2

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #29 on: Oct 10, 2013, 11:47 AM »

And I was worried in May when we had a dump of 16" of snow that snapped hundreds of trees and power poles. I lost power for a day...I feel for ya, buddy. Hope it gets fixed FAST.  :-\
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.