Author Topic: favorite ice fishing memory????  (Read 1467 times)

Offline whitts-end

• IceShanty Rookie
favorite ice fishing memory????
« on: Dec 17, 2004, 08:07 AM »
I was just curious as to what is everyone's favorite ice fishing memory?

I always think back to catching those 3 inch gills with my dad when I was about 5 years old... He would take me to that lake just because he knew I loved it so much, even though we never caught anything worth keeping.   Now that I have a son, I can't wait to do the same with him!

---Although the ice trips to Northern MN with my college buddies every year always turn out to have the best stories... most aren't repeatable in public, but those trips are worth their weight in gold...which would be a lot of cash, considering that we never are able take a trip without 4 pickups worth of crap   :D

So any favorite memories, ice fishing-wise?

--whitt

PIKEGUY

Re: favorite ice fishing memory????
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2004, 08:22 AM »
I think last year when my fishin buddy and I caught our biggest northern through the ice, (a whopping 9 pounds ::)). We were just so damn excited to get a decent fish. Jumping around, high fiving, and hooting and hollering. It just sticks in my head how really happy we were. Kinda silly over a pike that size but it was a trophy to us  ;D

tstelick

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2004, 08:47 AM »
I would say when I took my wife out fishing.  The first time the ice was groaning and cracking.  She was very nervous and then one sounded like it went directly under us.  I swear if I did not grab her by the coat and sit her back down she would still be running.
The other one was with my wife again and there was about 2 inches of crust on top of and inch of water then 10 inches of ice.  About every 5th step you would break through the crust.  Watching her face every time thinking that she was going to the bottom was a life long memory.

These were not good memories for her, but you said my best fishing memory.

Offline Ice Dog 67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DCB = Delta Bravo
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2004, 08:53 AM »
I think last year when my fishin buddy and I caught our biggest northern through the ice, (a whopping 9 pounds ::)). We were just so d**n excited to get a decent fish. Jumping around, high fiving, and hooting and hollering. It just sticks in my head how really happy we were. Kinda silly over a pike that size but it was a trophy to us  ;D
I know exactly what you're talking about.  This year the first fish that we iced was my buddy's 22 1/2"  3lb 13 oz Walleye.  We had the exact same reaction as you guys.  Not exactly a wall hanger, but it was the first fish of the season and it was with friends.  Those kind of moments are always my favorite!  Too many to mention.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2004, 09:08 AM »
Mine has to be the first time I pulled a 12" perch out of the hole.  Two lines merging on the vex, the hookset, rod doubling over, Oh man, that beautifull green/gold/white perch nice and plump - it was awesome. 

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2004, 10:06 AM »
Back in 1991, after I had iced 2 northerns each about 32 inches, and my friend and nephew had also iced some nice northerns. I let my brother take my next flag because he was fishless at this point. He was battling a monster that made 8 or 9 ferocious runs. He played this thing like a pro, not someone battling his first large fish on a tip-up, which was the case.

He finally iced it, a 36 inch pike with incredible girth for its length, easily 15 pounds. The 4 of us felt high the rest of the day, and none of us has caught any fish that big before or since. I felt really good about letting my brother get that fish on my tip-up. Who knows, maybe I would have messed up and missed that fish. Where did this happen? Loughberry Lake in Saratoga/Wilton. We iced probably a dozen pike over 10 pounds there over 4 seasons. Don't try it now because you will be kicked off by the Saratoga police and possibly arrested.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline whitts-end

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2004, 11:18 AM »
Great memories, guys!

I had a nice 13 1/2 inch perch come through the hole fishing the Madison lakes with my father... Fun to watch them over 80 feet of water, anywhere in the water column with the vex.  We had not been able to fish a whole lot when I was away at college, and it was nice to get out together again.  We both caught some nice fish, and had a blast just fishing together!

and speaking of booming ice, sleeping the sleeper houses on mille lacs was a treat.. it was fun to hear the ice cracking under us as we slept... the whole ice was shaking, and a few times i was thinking we were going in... of course, there was 3 feet of ice under us.....    :D

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2004, 11:26 AM »
best memories for me...
i would have to say the ice parties the last two seasons... here in NY we had a ice party last year and the year before on CONESUS lake. that was fun for me because it brought alot of people together from this site in NY and we all had a great time. great food, drink, conversation and fun for all! it was great to be a part of this!
and to boot, last year i iced a 36 inch 12 1/2 lb. northern during the party!  :woot:

Offline wkules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lookin' for EYES!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2004, 03:13 PM »
A couple of years ago, a warm (35ish F) sunny mid-morning on Chautauqua. My 11 year old son and I sitting five feet apart on buckets (too warm for the hut) with about 25 perch all 1+ lbs. laying all around us. Best time I've ever had!
Bobbers Down and Flags Up !!!

bigdave1018

« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2004, 04:11 PM »
afew years back, i took my little sister out on her ist ice trip. we fished cazenovia lk in ny. we parked and headed out onto the ice. sis was just a stomping her feet till she asked me when we would be on the ice. i told her we have been for about 50 yds! the ice was real thick but she still walked like a cat on a hot tin roof! it was a real nice day until the wind switched and it started snowing and blowing. one nasty whiteout with bout 40 - 50 mph winds. she said what now,i said just sit still and wait it out. well 1/2 hr later and about 6 in of snow, we walked out into a brisk north wind. we got into the car and she said is it always like that?" i replied no way that was 1 of the nicer days. she never asked to go icing again to this day lmao!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2004, 04:34 PM »
My best memory is my first time out on the ice.  I had wanted to try it for years, but never did.  A couple of my buddies started going on the ice so I told them to let me know the next time they were going out.  The night before I was as giddy as a kid on Christmas Eve.  Didn't catch a thing that day, but I knew I was hooked for life.
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.