Author Topic: Sled Runners  (Read 1104 times)

P Gottshall

Sled Runners
« on: Dec 15, 2004, 10:52 PM »
I know this has been talked about a lot, but I'm a little slow. . .

Do runners on a sled make it pull easier, or just wear better?  I have a Fish Trap Scout and a Fish Trap Voyager.  I'd like to use the Voyager more, but I can't handle it alone; it just pulls too hard.

What's best for runners?  The Fish Trap runners?  Ski's?  Bent-up conduit?

Is there anywhere I can buy cheap ski's?  In central IL there's not much to be had except through e-bay, & it seems quite expensive.

Appreciate the advice,
Paul

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: Sled Runners
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2004, 11:09 PM »
i purchased the "fish trap" runners made by the clam corp. and they are OK (i got mine because i wore through the bottom of my fish trap pro in less than 2 months - no pavement either) - i think you would be better served with properly mounted ski's - they will help the sled pull more easily, and prevent sled wear-through

Offline flagrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2004, 06:12 AM »
I used a couple snowboards,there wider and stay on top of the snow better.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2004, 06:47 AM »
I used a couple snowboards,there wider and stay on top of the snow better.

That is the best idea i have heard yet!!! where did you get snowboards cheap??

Offline flagrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2004, 07:07 AM »
I use to work at Buddy-L in Mayfield.We made them,but they have gone out of business.I still have 4 of them.I live in Gloversville,N.Y.if anyone needs them and you live close your welcome to them,just get in touch.

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2004, 07:19 AM »
I use skis, the last pair lasted several years. One trip down the pavement can really tear them up if its being towed behind a machine/ if your just walking it isn't as bad.  I find ski durring the summer at garage sales for a couple bucks a pair.
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2004, 08:43 AM »
plenty places with old skis in cent. il. I got mine at wild country in bloominbton-normal.  pawn shops thrift stores etc.  kids play skis maybe all u need.  bolting mine on the new eskimo from the old popnfish if I think I need this year.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.