Author Topic: favorite bloody mary recipe?  (Read 5880 times)

Offline whitts-end

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: favorite bloody mary recipe?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 16, 2004, 10:03 AM »
MMMM.. sounds good fishaholic.... i'll have to try that.. thanks!

whitt

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 16, 2004, 10:34 AM »
For homemade bloody mary mix I use a big pot. I cut up the ripe tomatoes and put them in the pot with a couple of cut up green peppers, cut up onions, cut up celery. At this point I add salt only. Not a lot because this stuff is going to get cooked down later. After the stuff is cooked through, I run it thru a crank style food press. A juice maker works also. I cook this mixture down to the desired consistency and add lawry's seasoned salt , sugar, pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano, basil, celery salt and lots of hot sauce. Let this cook for about 20 minutes. I fill quart jars 1/2 inch from the top and process them for 30 minutes in a hot water bath. Last year we made 121 quarts of the stuff. We use it in chili, casaroles, spahgetti sauce and just about anything else that gets tomatoes in it.  Some years I've put lettuce, cabbage, carrotts, beets, beans etc in it to make it a true veg. juice.

I don't get it? You add Vodka to this and drink it? You a red neck or what? :wacko:

Offline whitts-end

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 16, 2004, 12:41 PM »
easy, there canuck....don't knock it until you've tried it.  thats a high class drink! ;D

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 16, 2004, 02:09 PM »
For homemade bloody mary mix I use a big pot. I cut up the ripe tomatoes and put them in the pot with a couple of cut up green peppers, cut up onions, cut up celery. At this point I add salt only. Not a lot because this stuff is going to get cooked down later. After the stuff is cooked through, I run it thru a crank style food press. A juice maker works also. I cook this mixture down to the desired consistency and add lawry's seasoned salt , sugar, pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano, basil, celery salt and lots of hot sauce. Let this cook for about 20 minutes. I fill quart jars 1/2 inch from the top and process them for 30 minutes in a hot water bath. Last year we made 121 quarts of the stuff. We use it in chili, casaroles, spahgetti sauce and just about anything else that gets tomatoes in it.  Some years I've put lettuce, cabbage, carrotts, beets, beans etc in it to make it a true veg. juice.

That sounds awesome, ready to go for "everything".
You sound like one of those, pinch of this, dash of that
but if you got a recipe, e-mail it to me
[email protected]
Thx man TJ

Offline BlackVelvet

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Let's get Jiggy wit it
« Reply #34 on: Dec 16, 2004, 06:07 PM »
I've had several Bloody Mary-Ann  -drink a half pint of stoli with a tomato wedge and a touch of parsley for garnish. then beat the crap out of my girlfriend Ann
everytime I go fishing I'm successfull...and sometimes, I catch fish.

iceguru

« Reply #35 on: Dec 17, 2004, 06:08 AM »
put alittle A-1 steak sauce in the mix its great

Offline Gator-Bait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Hear they Taste like Chicken
« Reply #36 on: Dec 17, 2004, 06:19 AM »
For all you Hardcores out there when you out inshack it's vodka filled 3/4 to the top of the coffee cup and a splash of catsup and to cut down on the weight of first ice, stop by the drive thru at McDonald for a hand full of catsup packs and your good to go!!! :D :D :D
Pull my Finger not my Leg

Offline Fish-A-Holic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Winnebago and Lovin it
« Reply #37 on: Dec 17, 2004, 11:37 AM »
TJG, I don't have a written down recipe for the stuff. But it's really a personal taste thing anyway I guess.  I personally like it a bit on the sweet and spicey side so I add sugar to taste. The big secret is to not add all of your seasonings until it's almost cooked to the thickness you want. It will be to strong tasting if you add earlier. I have had offers to sell this stuff commercially beleive it or not. It makes a good base for chili also.
The Fish-A-Holic

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 17, 2004, 12:59 PM »
Hey you guys, if you put Clamato in it, it is no longer a bloody mary it's a Caesar. And I like mine with a pickled asparagas and two large olives, extra spicy please. I have been known to make one of the best around, as I am a bartender as well.
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff
B&D Custom Lures Pro Staff

hali-man

« Reply #39 on: Dec 17, 2004, 01:39 PM »
I have been known to make one of the best around, as I am a bartender as well.

Do you carry a mini-bar on the ice?
I bet it would be a huge hit!
 :P

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #40 on: Dec 17, 2004, 05:19 PM »
Love a good bloody mary.  Some good recipes here.  I also squeeze a lime wedge into mine.
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Offline druthrbfishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waitin for the freeze!!
« Reply #41 on: Dec 17, 2004, 08:25 PM »

All this talk about spice and tomatoes makes my abused stomach burn. What's wrong with vodka and orange juice? Boring, but easier on the stomach!

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #42 on: Dec 17, 2004, 08:34 PM »
I usually have a little of everything with me. You never know who will show up and want something to drink. I keep all the little bottles you get when you buy a bottle at the liquor store, and take them with me fishing. So I guess I do have a mini bar with me. 8)
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff
B&D Custom Lures Pro Staff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.