Author Topic: favorite bloody mary recipe?  (Read 5881 times)

Offline whitts-end

• IceShanty Rookie
favorite bloody mary recipe?
« on: Dec 13, 2004, 08:03 PM »
i was going to post a question about your favorite fishing beverage, but got to thinking about bloody mary's.  anyone have any interesting or unusual recipes for making a bloody mary? 

my standard:
clamato - if you haven't tried clamato, its great!
absolut peppar vodka
worchestershire
tabasco
celery salt (a fair amount)
garlic salt, creole seasoning or lawry's seasoning salt
pickle (+/- pickle juice)
olives

some people use horseradish
any other suggestions?

oh ya... favorite chaser - leinie's nothwoods or amber light

(oh ya, and for the disclaimer.. be responsible on/off the ice.)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: favorite bloody mary recipe?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2004, 08:04 PM »
my usual list of ingredients includes the following

vodka

NAD42

« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2004, 08:20 PM »
I use:
Master of Mixes...or V8
fleischmann's
worcestershire
whalen's horseradish
celery salt, salt, pepper
Frank's Red Hot (tabasco has a tendency to burn a hole in my stomach)  ;)...come to think of it, I think I'll make one now.

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2004, 08:25 PM »
Crown and gingerale

Dunno if I could get a many down if I had too. Not a tamater fan  :P
Anthony

hali-man

« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2004, 08:26 PM »
Vodka and my friend (!) Mary!

;)

MN_transplant

« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2004, 04:13 AM »
i do love em with clamato, but i always use Grey Goose Vodka and 1, and i mean one, very  small drop of liquid smoke ;D
 that one drop is what gives my bloody ones the extra kick to cure any hangover. :sick:

suskymusky

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2004, 05:09 AM »
spicy V8, a few drops of lemon juice , Worstershire, and tabasco.Repeat as needed

Offline whitts-end

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2004, 08:01 AM »
i have thought of using the liquid smoke, but have never tried it... need to give that a shot.  tried some ketel one vodka a while back - that stuff was pretty good!  i've heard of some guys using horseradish powder, but i don't think i have ever seen that in the stores... anyone use that ?????

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2004, 08:04 AM »
Put a venison stick next to that pickle and celery ::)

Offline varmntguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2004, 09:04 AM »
I always put in a piece of pickled okra. Oh yea, also olives gotta have olives. Ive tried the Grey Goose but the Absolute pepper is way better. What other drink can you get your daily fiber and a buzz with ;D.
Bent rods and full beers.

Offline mjc2799

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2004, 10:11 AM »
cant say I have ever tried a Bloody Mary but they sound mighty tastey ... thou I am partial to rum and Cokes myself
Capn' Morgan Rum  and Classic Coke ... generally mine are mixed 50 / 50 ... thou sometimes it might be heavy on the Capn' side 

as a disclaimer never drink and drive and limit your comsumption on the ice , you will want to return home to your loved ones and fish another day

mike

nafc life member
nahc life member
Git - R - Done !!!

Offline reelmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2004, 10:23 AM »
my usual list of ingredients includes the following

vodka

You make my kind of drink  Ha   ;D ;D :o :D
YOu can only get skunked so many times before you have to shower, Peeeeuuuuw

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2004, 10:43 AM »
I use:
Master of Mixes...or V8
fleischmann's
worcestershire
whalen's horseradish
Frank's Red Hot (tabasco has a tendency to burn a hole in my stomach)  ;)...come to think of it, I think I'll make one now.

Love the Whalens stuff.  Ever try the horseradish dill pickles?  Ultra tasty and made right here in Saratoga!

Personally, can't stand the Bloody Mary, my morning beverage is a Tom Collins(Vodka and sour mix).
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Offline Ice Dog 67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DCB = Delta Bravo
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2004, 10:51 AM »
Spicey V-8, worcesteshire sauce, franks red-hot, celery salt, pickles, olives, horseradish, splash of A-1 steak sauce, vodka.  If I don't have all the ingredients for a true Bloody Mary, I pack a bottle of tomato juice along and dump some in my beer.................. ....Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Is it me or does anyone else wonder who in the he!! thought "Hey, let's put some clam juice in this tomato juice and sell it!"  Yuck!!!  To those that like it, more power to you.

Offline Fish-A-Holic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Winnebago and Lovin it
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2004, 10:57 AM »
Love the pepper vodka. It works great. I make my own spicy bloody mary mix with home grown tomatoes. I also pickle green beans and use them instead of a pickle in a bloody mary. I also use a lrg. boiled shrimp as a garnish. As a wash I provide a baby food jar of beer with it. I add some Penzy's Prime Rib seasoning instead of the standard celery salt. Float a dallop of Horseradish on top and ya got a meal in a jar. Remeber each Bloddly Mary is worth a porkchop on the food scale.
The Fish-A-Holic

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2004, 11:10 AM »
Is it me or does anyone else wonder who in the he!! thought "Hey, let's put some clam juice in this tomato juice and sell it!"  Yuck!!!  To those that like it, more power to you.

It's a very Canadian drink didn't ya know? We call them Ceasars up here and the only thing I would add different to mine is a pickeled asparagus to that drink. Yum Yum.

Clamato also goes good with beer for those of you that didn't know. We call those red eyes and are also a good "hair of the dog" drink.

Hope this helps..........

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2004, 11:15 AM »
Something about the word "clamato", doesn't lend itself to edibility(is that a word?)
Sounds like something used to disinfect wounds:

"Give me the clamato-soaked cleansing rags, STAT"
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2004, 12:57 PM »
Something about the word "clamato", doesn't lend itself to edibility(is that a word?)
Sounds like something used to disinfect wounds:

"Give me the clamato-soaked cleansing rags, STAT"

I'm with you, talk about bad marketing!

In New Orleans they used hot and spicy pickled green beans.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2004, 01:08 PM »
I must say I'm not a fan of any of the Bloody Mary pre-made mixes. BLAH...
I like V8 both the regular and spicey, splasch of Worstershire sauce, tabsaco, and lots of horshradish, and black pepper....oh, yeah and a good Vodka. A celery stick to mix it all up........ ;) Simple but tasty.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline whitts-end

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2004, 01:57 PM »
Love the pepper vodka. It works great. I make my own spicy bloody mary mix with home grown tomatoes. I also pickle green beans and use them instead of a pickle in a bloody mary. I also use a lrg. boiled shrimp as a garnish. As a wash I provide a baby food jar of beer with it. I add some Penzy's Prime Rib seasoning instead of the standard celery salt. Float a dallop of Horseradish on top and ya got a meal in a jar. Remeber each Bloddly Mary is worth a porkchop on the food scale.

MMM... never thought of making my own tomato base.. I grow tons of tomaters and beans, thats a great idea!  as an aside, do you have a good pickling recipe??  love the shrimp, too.  a nice spear of asparagus is nice as well...i'll have to look for that penzy's stuff...   glad to hear others use that absolut peppar stuff too.. perfect for bloody marys!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2004, 08:47 PM »
those are some great blooodys guys. ill have to try some of those recipes this weekend. mine is just standard-veg juice-wistishire sauce-squirt of lemmon-salt-pepper-garlic powder. i will have to look for that clamato juice!

never spill mary on the ice cause andy n barny would go nuts tryin to solve the crime. he he
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline whitts-end

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2004, 09:31 PM »
for those of you who have never tried clamato....give it a shot!  i wasn't big on the idea of powdered clam in my drink at first either, but holy crap is it tasty.  I'm not a big fan of the grit in standard mixes, and clamato is quite "non-gritty."  in fact, i hated bloody marys until i tried one made with clamato.  now its my favorite drink....well, behind a lienies, eh?  anyone had the lienies big butt doppelbach?  mmm mmm good.

maple

« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2004, 09:57 AM »
With regards to Clamato, Mott's makes a version called The Works Bartender's Blend, and it has horseradish mixed in .......... probably not as good as some of the fabulous homemade recipes you guys have posted, but for an off-the-shelf quick drink, it's worth a try ! I will have to try it with that pepper vodka .......

We had minus 20 last night in Ottawa, so hope the ice will be ready soon !

NAD42

« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2004, 05:38 PM »
I use:
Master of Mixes...or V8
fleischmann's
worcestershire
whalen's horseradish

try the DIP N' DRESSING..creamy roasted garlic with horseradish.....awesom e stuff they make!!

Love the Whalens stuff.  Ever try the horseradish dill pickles?  Ultra tasty and made right here in Saratoga!

Personally, can't stand the Bloody Mary, my morning beverage is a Tom Collins(Vodka and sour mix).

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2004, 10:13 PM »
all diss tok abowt bloodi marys,i had ta go git be sum makins and figyor out wich recipy i like best....they was all good..hiccup....mmmmmm

stump

P Gottshall

« Reply #25 on: Dec 15, 2004, 10:18 PM »
Isn't Bloody Mary a women's drink?  I thought you were men!   ;D

Nutin' for me but Java on the ice.

Paul

P Gottshall

« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2004, 10:21 PM »
Isn't Bloody Mary a women's drink?   ;D

Nutin' for me but Java on the ice.

Stumper, you need to read the "spelling" post.  Yer gonna' piss people off spelling that way, even if you are lit-up a bit.

Paul

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2004, 10:29 PM »
I hope those that dont see the humor in my post are ticKed about my spelling.Maybe we need another area where every thread that has miss spelled words can be "MOVED".

STUMP

P Gottshall

« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2004, 11:02 PM »
Stumper,

I see the humor in your post.  I couldn't care less about spelling.  I was just kiddin' you, as I think the whole deal's kinda' silly.

Paul

Offline Fish-A-Holic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Winnebago and Lovin it
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2004, 09:04 AM »
For homemade bloody mary mix I use a big pot. I cut up the ripe tomatoes and put them in the pot with a couple of cut up green peppers, cut up onions, cut up celery. At this point I add salt only. Not a lot because this stuff is going to get cooked down later. After the stuff is cooked through, I run it thru a crank style food press. A juice maker works also. I cook this mixture down to the desired consistency and add lawry's seasoned salt , sugar, pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano, basil, celery salt and lots of hot sauce. Let this cook for about 20 minutes. I fill quart jars 1/2 inch from the top and process them for 30 minutes in a hot water bath. Last year we made 121 quarts of the stuff. We use it in chili, casaroles, spahgetti sauce and just about anything else that gets tomatoes in it.  Some years I've put lettuce, cabbage, carrotts, beets, beans etc in it to make it a true veg. juice.
The Fish-A-Holic

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.