Author Topic: No ICE Yet  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Gator-Bait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Hear they Taste like Chicken
No ICE Yet
« on: Dec 13, 2004, 07:08 AM »
I am a polar bear without a block of ice to stand on and living in southern Ohio does not help! Have been reading this forum for a year or so and do most of my ice fishing on lake Erie when ice is safe. I fish of the back of my ATV 450 Honda Foreman and have recently acquired a two man clam at a auction for 40 dollars people down here thought is was a portable out out or something so i was able to get it at a steal i think? Will be watching forums here for possible  traveling spot for this migrating polar bear to try fishing would like  to stay at least 600miles from house Incas i get hungry! Good fishing all and if the perch or walleye are hitting drop me a line will fish for food ;D   
                                                                                             GaToR Bait
Pull my Finger not my Leg

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: No ICE Yet
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2004, 09:55 AM »
  Gator-bait this weather has not been too good for ice.  We are talking a Canada trip after the 1st of the year if we don't have at least pond ice.  I fish Erie as much as possible when we have ice.  Where do you go out of on Erie??  We go out Mazuriks, Cawtaba, Camp Perry, Breast Bay, and Sandusky Bay if we can't get on the main lake.  By the way I am in Northwest Ohio.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline Gator-Bait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2004, 10:11 AM »
We have probably fished the same holes then Camp Perry starting the season then Gull Island off south bass fishing got hot there for a while. till ice got iffy but a friend bought a airboat this off season so we should be able to fish a little more around the islands this year when ice is not available to snowmobile or atv across. PIcs to follow later in season as soon as we get some ice!!!!!!! Canada don't sound to bad let me know was thinking upper pi in Michigan but willing to go were the bite is happening!

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2004, 08:20 AM »
   To start off I am extremly jealous you will have access to an airboat this winter!!!!!!  I need to find a buddy that has one!  That will extend your season by at least 2-3 weeks and increase your saftey by 100%.  I only got out off Camp Perry 2 or 3 times  last year before it blew out and we had to cross a 3 foot crack to get out those times ,  talk about pucker factor.  We got out Mazuiks 3 or 4 times but chickened out crossing to the islands,  where did you cross??? We found Breast bay late in the season and that ice was pretty protected and extended our season by a week or so.  We also take a plane or airboat out to the island a time or two every year but that gets expensive.  Pray for ice !!! 
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline Gator-Bait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2004, 09:15 AM »
I heard that we carried planks a lot of the times just for that reason.my friend guide up there so a airboat is a must for him. Did you ever get into the perch. walleyes did good but never got into the perch except for a  occasionally feeder!Keep in touch and we'll wet a line this year or next if in January which it looks like!!!

UnderCoverBrother

« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2004, 10:49 AM »
Lake Osakis froze over yesterday afternoon according to my brother who lives up there!
Should be good to fish on this weekend!
Most of the lakes here in Minnesota should be frozen after last night!
It's 12 degrees right now at 10:52am!

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2004, 01:54 PM »
  Undercoverbrother you are making us jealous here in Ohio!  Gatorbait we never really killed on the perch but got a few out of Sandusky bay.  No real size but if you wanted to spend the day out there you could get 15-25....enough for a decent meal.  The bay is a good back-up spot if the lake is too windy and you don't want to go for an ice ride or worse yet a helicopter ride......By the way 2 buddies have called in the last hour to let me know that the temp in Gaylord,  Mich. is 10 degrees right now that's not too far from our cabin in Irons.  I still have one bow tag to fill up there but after that the bow gear stays home and the gear goes up.

UnderCoverBrother

« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2004, 02:51 PM »
Swantucky, I was also in my treestand last saturday watching the squirrels and pheasents around me. Too bad they did'nt make the scrapes and leave the pellets that they were walking around! Now that there is ice on the lakes, I think my hunting season is over!
Oh well, last year at first ice we had a blast catching 16"-19" walleyes, 12"-14" crappies, and 10" blugills!
You should've seen the fish on the underwater camera that would snub your bait!
Good luck this winter season!

Paradice

« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2004, 03:40 PM »
I think most of us here in MN will be fishing by sunday or monday.  I for sure will be out on tuesday when my vacation starts. 

Offline Gator-Bait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2004, 05:36 PM »
Swantucky that was Starve Island not gull ice to shaky out that far!!! would like to find a good spot to perch this winter will keep an eye out usually camp perry is good for big perch early till the walleye eat the all  Ha Ha that make them big too!

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2004, 09:41 AM »
   Looks like we may have ice sooner than we thought,  lows in the 10-12 degree range this week-end.  I've never pulled more than 1 or 2 incidental perch out of camp perry but we usually go out as far as we can safely get.  Are you getting them close to shore??  The only time we fish in close 1/2 mile-1 1/2 miles is the last hour of daylight, it seems like the walleye move in close then,  although coming off that Erie ice in the dark can be a little spooky.  I am hopin' to  be pond fishin' by Sunday.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.