Author Topic: glo jigs  (Read 2279 times)

Offline numbtoes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • numbtoes
glo jigs
« on: Dec 12, 2004, 08:52 PM »
Last year I started using glow jigs and found they stayed lit up for maybe a few minutes before I had to recharge them. Now I'm hearing of some sort of extreme or super glo jigs that hold their "charge" for a much longer time. Does anyone know of such a thing or do you think it is just an advertising gimmick? Thanks for any information.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
Re: glo jigs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2004, 12:31 AM »
Last year I started using glow jigs and found they stayed lit up for maybe a few minutes before I had to recharge them. Now I'm hearing of some sort of extreme or super glo jigs that hold their "charge" for a much longer time. Does anyone know of such a thing or do you think it is just an advertising gimmick? Thanks for any information.

The glow paints and finishes today have improved from when they first came out.  They do last longer and are brighter now.  Also, LED lighting and other devices used to charge them are an improvement of holding your jig up to a standard flashlight or dangling it in front of your lantern.  Technology has improved things quite a bit in this area.

Do they work?  You bet!!!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

MN_transplant

« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2004, 04:25 AM »
I practically live by glo baits. There is no doubt that they have improved drastically since their creation.
 I also score my LED Tazers at the dollar store, cuz the "real" ones are $15, but the "keychain lights" at the $1 store are only a buck and work like a charm.
 I've found that if i charge a good glo jig for 60 seconds, in very cold temps i will get about 15 minutes of glow time from them. 8)

Offline fishaholic1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rocks
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2004, 06:54 AM »
I too find that you have to recharge glo jigs often. A buddy of mine turned me on to a trick of his. He carry's an extra tackle box with a battery and a camera flash in it. The flash is alot more brite than any lantern, that I know of. In a instant, your jig's will be charged. They will glo more brite, and the charge seem's to last longer.
Ice Fishin Rock's!

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2004, 07:15 AM »
I placed an order thru Jammin' Jigs and I was impressed with their jigs in general but their glow jigs seemed to be especially bright and seemed to hold a "charge" for quite a while. Jammin' Jigs is also a sponsor of this site and also of this years tourney.
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2004, 08:01 AM »
I found that some new jigs have this super glow paint,  that last realy long time.  I also think that less is better with the glow paint.  There is nothing more unnatural than a  jig glowing like a light bulb 20 feet down in the dark.  Just a dab of paint on a jigging lure works great or faintly glowing blues or greens on smaller jigs.  I think that a lot of this glow craze is to sell more product in my opinion.       J.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2004, 09:17 AM »
I catch a lot of fish on bare glow jigs.  Can't on bare no glow jigs.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

hali-man

« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2004, 09:21 AM »
Just a dab of paint on a jigging lure works great or faintly glowing blues or greens on smaller jigs.  I think that a lot of this glow craze is to sell more product in my opinion.       J.

I agree!

Offline Bobman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Free Speech Advocate #000020
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2004, 09:29 AM »
I just got a bunch of jigs from Jammin' Jigs as well.  The glow ones look pretty good, I've never used them before so this will be my first try.  If we ever get any ICE!!
There's a hole in my ice!

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2004, 09:40 AM »
The camera flash statement is the best one!

We fish Lake Ontario every year.  Most of the lures and plugs we use are glo. Hit them with the flash and you will see a great difference!

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2004, 09:55 AM »
Sometimes to much glow or to bright can hurt you more than help you, many times I have charged a lure up and the fish did not strike until the lure was barely glowing. Every situation is different, if the fish are agressive they will pound it right after charging and dropping down the hole. Later in the winter,thicker ice,snow on ice ect. it's pretty dark down there and a glow lure will usually outfish a plain lure even durring the afternoon.           Just my opnion from alot of observation

tstelick

« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2004, 11:00 AM »
the blue ones glow longer than the other others but also are the weakest in intensity.  The red are the most intense but only last a minute or 2.

Offline IcePirate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2004, 05:19 PM »

We fish Lake Ontario every year.  Most of the lures and plugs we use are glo. Hit them with the flash and you will see a great difference!

back in the late mid to late 70'S ,we used flashes off 35mm cameras , we made a small box with a trap door taped to the unit , lined the inside with aluminium foil , drop in our homemade glo jigs , BAM!! they'd come out smokin'!!!Down the hole , nothing new just better technology , but nothing will beat a flash , even today
C'mon fishy's , C'mon - South Shore Diehard since 66' - Vexilar , Clam corp., Ski-doo

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2004, 07:05 AM »
I haven't used the glo jigs, are they ever hit by walleyes or are they spoked by them?  #2  How long they glow is it a function of how  long they are in the light or how bright the light is?

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2004, 07:07 AM »
uhhhh thats  spooked,.. not spoked,..I wouldn't want to spook or spoke a walleye.....

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2004, 07:10 AM »
If you spoke a walleye, you have to be carefull not to get it caught up in your front fork or caliper brakes :-) 

Offline whitey

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the slabs!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2004, 04:09 PM »
Man, you guys are right on the mark. What would we do without glo jigs today. You ought to see the giant smelt hit them in northern michigan. Glo Hali jigs work awesome for them.

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2004, 03:09 PM »
I haven't used the glo jigs, are they ever hit by walleyes or are they spoked by them?  #2  How long they glow is it a function of how  long they are in the light or how bright the light is?

Walleye love-em and glow spoons are deadly jigging under the hole.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2004, 04:19 PM »

We see the same result.  I own a cottage on Lake O and have fished it for the last 20 yrs.  Definitely have landed more Kings w/glo than without! ;D   

duck doctor:  What part of the lake do you fish?  Charter or bring up your own rig?
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.