Author Topic: Christmas Lights and The Rocket  (Read 2154 times)

Offline The Rocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Had To Reach Way Down Inside
Christmas Lights and The Rocket
« on: Nov 28, 2004, 09:49 PM »
Well, Thanksgiving was great for me. Good friends, and day with family. But something was very wrong that sunny afternoon. I was out on a simple early evening drive, and 4 miles east, Christmas Lights :o No one out does The Rocket> ;D A farmer had decorated his large house entirely in lights. You could see it for 6 miles in the corn fields of Northeastern Colorado. So what was I to do? Late last night, I was helping some of my new friends decorate the local church 3 miles west of here, with some lights, a couple trees, and a hot soup dinner. When I was ready to depart from the festive evening, the snow was just starting to fall. Temps around 20, and a north wind of about 12.
Wake up early this Am, BLIZZARD! Snow drifts of 3 and 4 feet, Winds out of the north at 25 mph. Windchill of -11.
And like a complete Fool ;D I decide to go hang Xmas lights in a all out blizzard.
Manage to make my way to the 20 foot pines that line the drive way, 3 strings of 150 white lights each.
Then came the fun. The house. I managed to get about 200 icycle lights hung on the frozen, snowy, slick gutters.
Then came my true Clark Grizzwold moment. Get about 30 feet in the air on the front of the house, And the ladder slides out from under me  :%$#!: Taking me for a wild 3 second ride onto snow covered concrete...
My first thoughts were that I broke my leg. So I rolled off of the ladder and looked up into the cloudy snow filled sky.
My father came running, "Did You Fall Off Of The Ladder?" And like every guy that has fallen off a ladder, my respose was "Of Course Not" ;D  :D So I stood up, dusted the snow off, rolled up my pant leg. Only saw a little blood :D,
And I went right back up the ladder 8) Managed to finish the last string of lights, and headed in.
In a couple days, I'll have the pictures for everyone. I hope that it will be worth a little pain, blood and desire to show up the neighbors :D

Anyone have a similar story like mine?

Signed the broken and battered king of Holiday Lights Rocket>

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Christmas Lights and The Rocket
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2004, 09:59 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :roflmao: :roflmao: Great story Rocket I was right there with ya on the way down ;D

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2004, 10:19 PM »
Rocket,
We had the same storm up in northeast Wyoming today.
I planned on trying to head to the mountains this morning but,the storm changed my mind.
Plowed snow several times today and was pi$$ed from been stuck in the house.
I hope that you feel ok in the morning.Good Luck
Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2004, 10:56 PM »
When I was in Idaho over thanksgiving, I was fishing the henry's fork of the snake on saturday in that same storm!

The closest experience I have had to that lately is when a couple of weeks ago I was troutfishing the colorado river in glenwood canyon. After walking by the railroad tracks for about 1/4 of a mile to where I knew a good hole was, it was a very steep grade down to the hole and I was about 60 ft above where I had to go. It had just snowed the night before and knowing me, I was hurrying down to fish the river and after a couple of feet I slipped right onto my butt and the rest of the way down I was sliding faster than most people sled because it was so steep. Thank god that spot doesn't have very big rocks on the top of it or I would've hit one of those and broken my body :P I was a little shaken up but after a crawl back up the cliff to get my worms I came back down and got me a couple 5 lbers 8) :D
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline The Rocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2004, 11:48 PM »
Those are all great story's. Except you FM. Your's sounded like it could have been really bad. I was like all men, and could not wait until a warm day, I had to go up in a Blizzard.
I should known when the Pastor's wife called me this morning and said that there will not be sunday services because the roads were very bad. You guys watch, I'll have the best looking house on the shanty, Just hope I can stand in the picture ;D

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2004, 07:31 PM »
Rocket only a hard core hab fan would that. ;D ;D To good buddy. Hey listen man all those pictures with Terry Clark is starting to get this boy very jealous. :'( :'(
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2004, 09:12 PM »
Glad you guys are all OK.  Could have been serious if you'd injured your casting arm or reeling hand.  Rocket, you'll just have to post some pics of the house and lights!
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline The Rocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2004, 09:31 PM »
I hope that you feel ok in the morning.Good Luck
Wyo Ice
I do feel quite a bit better today. Except when I was in my fathers office, I looked to the northeast, Those same Dang lights ;D
They are the ones that drove my up the ladder in the first place. ;D And my good friend Mr. Anderson has already done his house completly in Red lights...... ;D
I managed to get some more colored lights around the house today in the brisk 5 degree weather, but my folks are out of town tomorrow, so I can't use the ladder. Come about the 2nd of December, you guys will be impressed!!!!

Offline The Rocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2004, 09:38 PM »
. Hey listen man all those pictures with Terry Clark is starting to get this boy very jealous. :'( :'(

;D ;D ;D Hey, she's stalking ME ;D She keep's saying all of these quotes like "Your gonna be hot in that" It's not an engagement ring is it?" Oh, Well thank you"  ;D ;D

Note to Big Walleye: Do not ask why Terri said to me "It's not an engagement ring is it? ;)
I save that story for me ;D

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2004, 11:14 AM »
;D ;D ;D Hey, she's stalking ME ;D She keep's saying all of these quotes like "Your gonna be hot in that" It's not an engagement ring is it?" Oh, Well thank you"  ;D ;D

Note to Big Walleye: Do not ask why Terri said to me "It's not an engagement ring is it? ;)
I save that story for me ;D

Rocket, Think im gunna have to send Terry this link for her.

http://www.ilj.org/stalking/Help.htm

Offline Bobman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Free Speech Advocate #000020
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2004, 12:37 PM »
Rocket, I have experienced the same ladder/light accident as you and still haven't learned to do the outside decorating any earlier.  I had the ladder up against the house with the feet on the neighbor's black top driveway with a few inches of snow on top.  I got to the top of the ladder with the strings of lights in hand, laid out on the ladder to reach up to the gutters when the ladder slid down the wall with me still on it  :o :o!  It happened so fast that I was still laying on the ladder in the same postion when I hit ground.  My neighbor across the street saw the whole thing and came running out to see if I was OK.  Being the macho knucklehead I am I jumped right up said I was fine and after he left, limped back into the house on a sprained knee. :'(.
There's a hole in my ice!

Offline The Rocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2004, 04:16 PM »
Rocket, I have experienced the same ladder/light accident as you and still haven't learned to do the outside decorating any earlier. I had the ladder up against the house with the feet on the neighbor's black top driveway with a few inches of snow on top. I got to the top of the ladder with the strings of lights in hand, laid out on the ladder to reach up to the gutters when the ladder slid down the wall with me still on it :o :o! It happened so fast that I was still laying on the ladder in the same postion when I hit ground. My neighbor across the street saw the whole thing and came running out to see if I was OK. Being the macho knucklehead I am I jumped right up said I was fine and after he left, limped back into the house on a sprained knee. :'(.

Wow Bobman! You and I are a lot alike! Same pitiful story :-[ Same result. Did you get your lights hung though?
I'm not gonna stop until every string is up! Even if I am down ;D

Rocket, Think im gunna have to send Terry this link for her.

http://www.ilj.org/stalking/Help.htm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:  :roflmao: :roflmao:Why does everyone pick on the innoecnt ones like me ;D
She actually asked me on November 5th quote: "It's not an engagement ring is it?" end quote...
Now, in this Rocket's eyes, that sounds like she's stalking Me ;D ;D Thanks for the link VC, i'll need it ;D ;D

Offline The Rocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2004, 08:48 PM »
Well, I FINALLY got all of my Christmas light up :bow: It took some time on a ladder, and a lot of electrical outlets..

Here they all are. Do you guys think that it was worth all of the pain?

And finally, The Christmas Tree.. Complete with gifts under it. Including a new Avery Power Hunter lay-out blind :o

What do you guys think? I think it looks pretty dang good.. I also apologize for the Mercury in the one pic. It's on the pump house.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.