Author Topic: super lines  (Read 2479 times)

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
super lines
« on: Dec 04, 2003, 02:42 PM »
I just bought a new UL reel and they spooled it for free, but they didn't have any 2# test. They said that they could use 4# fireline since it's got like a 1# diameter at no additional cost. Usually they charge 10 bucks extra or something like that. Low memory. Low stretch. How do you go wrong? While I was at it, I had them spool 6# hi-vis fireline on my spare spool. My question is how do you guys/gals like icefishing with this super line? I've never used it before and it seems like a great idea, but would like to hear some feedback. I know about tying a palomar knot, but that's it.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
Re:super lines
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2003, 03:38 PM »
I love jigging with superlines in more than 10 FOW. Less than 10', I don't care for it. I hope that before they put it on your spools they put a backing or electrical tape or something on the spool. If not, there's a good chance the line will slip when under pressure. Also, if they are plastic spools, I've seen Fireline actually cut through the spool.
Pete Lewis

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2003, 04:06 PM »
I hope that before they put it on your spools they put a backing or electrical tape or something on the spool. If not, there's a good chance the line will slip when under pressure. Also, if they are plastic spools, I've seen Fireline actually cut through the spool.
The salesman wrapped a rubberband around the spools before wrapping them. He told me about slipping and warned me about the possibility of cutting the spare, plastic spool. That one's wrapped with 6#. The other spool is aluminum and shouldn't be a problem. Thanks.

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2003, 06:00 PM »
I have had excellent luck with spiderwire original. Have not tried any others. I like to use the 10 lb when jigging for lakers or any other fish that run on the heavy side.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2003, 09:57 AM »
I use the 4# test fireline on my perch pole. It works fine in deep water with a heavy jig it's not worth a damn for fishing small jigs or flies, way to stiff.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2003, 10:07 AM »
Don't forgetthat most if not all the superlines, tend to absorb water which in turn will freeze.  If you fish from a shanty (wuss) it shouldn't be a problem.
Pete Lewis

GentleBen

« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2003, 10:38 AM »
I have used all the super lines but most of my experience has been open water fishing. Fireline is my last choice as its much stiffer than the others especially in the 14+ pound test and has too much memory. PowerPro is my favorite as it has no memory and its small diameter, also is very flexible. The new spider wire stealth is a close second.   For tip up fishing I have tried super lines but went back to teflon coated dacron. The super lines can cut the hands when pulling in a northern and they hard to see on the ice and snow and tend to tangle much worse than the dacron. My favorite tip up line by far is the Gudebrod Teflon coated Dacron in 30# test. I was using HT Dacron line but line was breaking with medium sized northerns so after comparing Gudebrod 30# test with HT 30# test I found the the Gudebrod was much stronger so its the only line I use on tipups. Just want to mention I'm in no way connected with Gudebrod, just want to pass on some helpful hints

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.