Author Topic: How do you fish splake in the winter?  (Read 14837 times)

Offline Scraper.jr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
How do you fish splake in the winter?
« on: Dec 01, 2003, 08:33 PM »
Walleye and perch have been my main target most years but I am going to try some new lakes that hold splake. The lake I am looking at is 71 acres and has two deep holes that reach 60 feet. This lake also has four feeder creeks come into it. What depth should I start at? And what kind of bait and lure to use. I am not use to fishing this kind of deep water I consider 30 feet deep. Just two years ago the planted over 4,000 7 inch splake. Thanks for the help guys.

Offline sorenson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing - it's not just for breakfast anymore.
Re:How do you fish splake in the winter?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2003, 09:39 PM »
We usually fish them quite deep and very near the bottom.  A flasher will certainly be nearly indespensible in finding fish.  They sometimes cruise through somewhere in the water column also.  Extremely sharp drop-offs (the more cliff-like, the better) seem to be favored haunts too.  Jigs (usually white or other lighter color) tipped w/ a strip sucker meat - we can't legally use live minnows.   I don't usually target them, but catch them incidentally to my kokanee fishing.  If I get too deep, I seem to pick up splake.  I have done well w/ jigging spoon also.  I suggest a low/no stretch line as your hookset w/ mono is not very effective if you have to fish 40 or more feet deep.  Hope this helps.
K.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2003, 11:08 PM »
Scraper.jr,

I'm in the same state as Sorenson, and can't use live minnows, but I have my best luck with dead minnows on a fireball jig.  I like the glow in the dark 1/8 or 1/4 oz. models.  The lake that I fish for them in also has lake trout in it, and the lakers usually rule the deep water.  The lakers are 50 feet to 120 feet deep.  The splake are usually 42 feet.  Without a fishfinder you are shooting in the dark.  They're also found at the deep edge of a weed bed at about 25 feet.

We fish for both species with the same set up.  We watch the fishfinder and work the bottom until we see an echo at 42 feet.  Then we reel up to the splake and try for them.  Once in a while they are deeper, but not often.  If the echo is deeper than 50 feet, it's almost always a laker.

Good luck,

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Scraper.jr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2003, 06:28 AM »
I can us live minnow for bait, so that should help. And my father has a flasher unit so that should help also.

trapperdirk

« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2003, 11:38 AM »
The lakes where I fish splake we fish in 20ft or less . I jig a williams wabler on one line and a live minnow on the other . If this fails I use a worm bobbing on a windlass tip up .

NAD42

« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2003, 06:45 PM »
Walleye190 knows how...try giving him a IM.

Offline walleye190

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • first laker
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2003, 07:54 PM »
I fish caroga lake early ice,,,as soon as ice will hold you. we fish with 2-4 lb test leader just a few feet down in the sandy bottoms. early ice i almost always get the limit in a few hours.as ice gets safer,,,move to deeper water,,10-30 feet  and stagger depth. i use very small shinners,,,,good luck and stay on top  :'(

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2003, 09:40 PM »
Ok im a southerner, what is a splake a cross of, A Lake trout and?? We dont have thme down this way.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2003, 10:20 PM »
Deep Creek a splake is a mix between a lake trout and a brook trout or "speckled trout" thus you get a splake trout.  I use to fish them in the U.P. in fairly shallow lakes with any standard size panfish jig and crappie minnows.  Splake school pretty good, so once you catch one you can usually catch a couple more.   Dead sticks and or Tip-ups can be effective on them also.  Small aberdeen hooks, 4 lb. test leader, small split shot, and a really sensitive split shot.  :'(
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Scraper.jr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2003, 10:40 PM »
Barleydog you used to be from the UP? Thats where I am from. What lakes did yo like to fish. And thanks for the replys guys.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2003, 11:35 PM »
Scraper, I lived on Bass lake out of Gwinn in 90-93 or so.  I loved it almost as much as Alaska!  I used to fish the lake right outside of town, which I don't remember??? and Sporley Lake for Splake.  If these are some of the lakes you fish, I could direct you in the right direction.  ;)-Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

genopg

« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2003, 08:02 AM »
Barleydog,
I'm actually hoping to do a little splake fishing this weekend.  I checked the lake out in sands plains and it has about 3" on it and it was 10 degrees last night and should be cold all week.  Anyway i usually use swedish pimples with a minnow for splake, seems to work well.  alslo you said that you were on bass lake, i assume you mean the one near Pike lake?  Did you ever do any fishing for the rainbows in there?  My uncle has a camp up there and sounds like he does pretty good. Minnows and a jig of some sort. I hope to hit it a few times thsi winter.  
any help would be appreciated,
Geno

Offline Venzulo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get outta the house you lazy basstard!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2003, 09:10 AM »
Deep Creek a splake is a mix between a lake trout and a brook trout or "speckled trout" thus you get a splake trout.  I use to fish them in the U.P. in fairly shallow lakes with any standard size panfish jig and crappie minnows.  Splake school pretty good, so once you catch one you can usually catch a couple more.   Dead sticks and or Tip-ups can be effective on them also.  Small aberdeen hooks, 4 lb. test leader, small split shot, and a really sensitive split shot.  :'(

What is a "really sensitive split shot" ?-kokanee
-V

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2003, 01:18 PM »
Kokanee, a "sensitive split shot" is a small piece of lead that isn't afraid to cry!  Fingers got a little crossed up while watching Oprah.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Venzulo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2003, 01:28 PM »
Well what was it supposed to be??? I am still learning.-V ???
-V

Offline trouthunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Trout thru the ice are nice!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2003, 06:31 PM »
Here in Maine we fish splake just like brookies. I use 5 feet of flourocarbon leader and an octopus hook with just enough weight to hold down a live shiner or smelt. I set up in shallow coves and fish within 2 feet of the ice. best action early in the season

Offline Venzulo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2003, 08:00 AM »
What's an Octopus hook?-V
-V

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2003, 04:48 PM »
try tip-ups with 8lb. Vanish and size 14 trebles as part of your arsenal as splake will use shallower water with structure and like was said earlier ,we catch plenty of fish in under 20 fow. precise split shotting is advised when dealing with currents. Experiment and have fun. we usually bait up with lake shiners on the small side.
myspace.com/tat2byjt

bubby

« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2003, 08:00 PM »
V-I think an octopus hook is the same as a circle hook although i'm not sure.

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2003, 10:39 PM »

An octopus hook is a thin wire hook with a slight offset. The eye is bent back away from the point. Gamakatsu makes a really great octopus hook in red that I use with minnows (Stock #02307) They aren't cheap but they are incredibly sharp!

Offline trouthunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Trout thru the ice are nice!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2003, 06:39 AM »
The Gamkatsu hooks are the ones that I meant.  I won't use anything but now that I've tried them

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.