Author Topic: What's Your Choice....??  (Read 3257 times)

Offline racepoint

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
What's Your Choice....??
« on: Dec 01, 2003, 04:06 PM »
Would like to know what's everyone's favorite Tip-Up line ?  I usuallly go with a 2-4 lb. leader but would like to get everyones opinion on the tip-up line itself.  I mostly fish for  trout, bass, perch and hopefully get hit with a pike or two.  Everyone's help here would be greatly appreciated.
Good Luck out there and be safe !!!
Seasons Greetings to all from over here in Massachusetts !!
Hey Jake!  Flag Up !!  (LMAO)

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
Re:What's Your Choice....??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2003, 06:34 PM »
Id opt for some sort of Dacron line, preferably black colored (vs the bright beige colored stuff) Personally Im not big into tips ups, I prefer a dead stick, as I like to fight fish on rod & reel.

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2003, 07:09 PM »
I perfer to use Mason brand in the color black. I have used it for many years and it always performs as expected.

icefishnfool

« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2003, 08:28 PM »
what is a tip up ???? :'( :'( :'(...I thought real hard water Fishing was done with a jign rod ???? :'( :'(...and an asortment of jigs and larve

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2003, 06:34 AM »
I prefer Dacron.  I do not like it to heavy, when I find it under 20lb I buy a bunch of it.  I too like darker colors best.  Right now I am working off a stash of 17lb dark green.  Cortland Line at one time made 10, 12 and 14 lb in black and camo.  These were great lines but I have not seen them in years.  
On the "equipment" thread there was a guy talking about the company Western Filiment,  I went to there website.  They had dacron but also had nylon?  They had a vinal coated tip up line (beware vinal coated!) and they had a Teflon coated ice fishing nylon line?  I was considering getting a small spool of the Teflon coated to see what it was like?  
Anybody out there ever use nylon?
Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

RSQCAL

« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2003, 06:48 AM »
I use mason braided line about 20lb with 18" leaders. I tend to use the dark colors, black or green. I've had good luck with these so I stick with it now. I've tried both the vinal coated & the nylon coated in the past. My experiance is that they both tend to retain the spool memory and hold loops in the line. I also found them to be difficult to wind tight to the spool in freezing temps. I haven't tried anything new in 10 or 12 years so I can't recall the brands I tried, but I'm sticking with the tried and true!

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2003, 07:28 AM »
Long ago and far away (in Massachusetts) I used nylon "squidding" line for my tip-ups with a three foot leader of 8 pound test fishing for chain pickerel, northern pike and the occasional  trout. Now I jig and use a deadstick with 1 and 2 pound lines for perch and giant bluegills here in Michigan. When I am targeting northerns during Tip-Up town I use 15 pound dacron with a nylon/steel leader and a BIG bait on the tip-up and then jig with a Buckshot spoon to bring them in.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2003, 09:41 AM »
Mason Brand, dacron, black ,20 lb test.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2003, 02:51 PM »
I used to used 20# mason but it knotted up on me. Switched to 36# coated nylon from u s line co out of westfiel ma. It's low streatch doesn't obsorb water and stays limp in the cold. ad a ball bearing swivel with a 3 ft. floro leader and your ready to fish.

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2003, 03:17 PM »
I use 17# Trilene mono xtra limp on my magnetic tip-ups. As for leaders, it's whatever Eagle Claw uses for their snelled hooks. Attach em to the swivel which is the weight, and go fishin. Fish are not to fussy during the ice time of their life. Been doing it this way for 30 some years.

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2003, 12:27 AM »
Mason 30#.  Snap swivel at the end and I put on 18-24" leaders made of 6-10 pound mono, #8 treble hook, and some red beads right above the treble hook.  Good walleye setup for me.  I fish this setup at night in murky water so the black Mason line works well.  It has worked well in weedy water for LM Bass as well.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2003, 04:33 AM »
36#-45# dacron in moss green or tan. The bigger line is easier to handle on the ice and is easier to untangle. Attached to that is a swivel and 3' of leader for pike and 6' or more for walleye, salmon, trout, etc.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2003, 08:51 AM »
  Esoxs, 6ft. leaders? It's no wonder you b***hed about having to change your leaders.
   Did you ever decide on what material you where going to use?

Offline howey1176

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2003, 09:06 AM »
I keep it simple. When fishing pike I use 30# black sqid line attached to an 8" black steel leader. I snap a #1 hook on the end of that with a fat shiner.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2003, 10:02 AM »
Gudebrod 35# catfish line (white)  I like the white line because I can see which way the fish is running, if the fish is straight down ect.  Sevenstrand wire leader
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline trouthunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Trout thru the ice are nice!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2003, 06:37 PM »
I've got to agree with Esox. 150 yards of 20# braided line, a swivel and 5-6 feet of fluorocarbon lin for a leader

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.