Author Topic: Rodents and mice  (Read 1646 times)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Rodents and mice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2020, 09:51 AM »
I've yet to see anything that keeps rodents at bay, other than a good cat and traps. Some swear by dryer sheets scattered about, predator urine, etc. Haven't seen any proof they work. My feelings are fight war with war....traps, glue traps, etc. Make area as mouse free as possible and surround outside of shack with them. I know this isn't much help, but at least with yer shack surounded with traps and such, you know it's gonna work. I had the luxury of storing my suitcase-style shack in the basement for the year.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline puravida

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2020, 09:58 AM »
use steel wool pad(pieces)  in corners and any openings, followed up with bounce dryer sheets stuffed in corners and openings, this system has proven itself time and again surrounded by mice, yes i do use peanut butter with regular snap traps as follow up outside- never using bait inside.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2020, 10:11 AM »
Dryer sheets are a myth.damn mice at a hole in my shappell dx3000 door  and then made a nest ball out of the dryer sheets.good thing i only paid 10$ for the shanty.i had a whole box of sheets spread all over in the shed.

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2020, 10:31 AM »
Dryer sheets, fresh cab, peppermint oil, moth balls, fox urine.......none of them work  :nono: :nono:   traps are the only way to go unless you can fit whatever into a sealed storage tub of some kind

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2020, 10:32 AM »
I saw mice paying soccer with mothballs once... ;D

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2020, 10:32 AM »
use steel wool pad(pieces)  in corners and any openings, followed up with bounce dryer sheets stuffed in corners and openings, this system has proven itself time and again surrounded by mice, yes i do use peanut butter with regular snap traps as follow up outside- never using bait inside.

Steel wool rusts. They make a similar copper mesh that is expressly made for plugging holes and mice/squirrels cannot chew through it.

It works GREAT!

https://www.solutionsstores.com/stuf-fit-copper-mesh?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpuv77Jao7QIVEkWGCh1PywOUEAQYASABEgJI9_D_BwE#156=2976
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2020, 10:34 AM »
Bucket trap is the only thing that really works for me.

Have caught probably 35 mice over the last month in my pole barn, which is where I store my flip over and hub.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2020, 10:39 AM »
Another tip for mice is if you get sick of rebaiting the traps like i did,i super glue a piece of corn or sunflower seed to them.lol

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2020, 10:43 AM »

This is my favorite and most effective trap, will catch 20 at a time without any bait!

Just place along side the wall or barrier, and the mice go through the tunnel and are caught. I just put it in water to kill any live ones and then dump it out.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/store/detail/kness-ketch-all-multiple-catch-mousetrap/0000000004944/2400?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2rmg8Jio7QIV7cuGCh3fRADGEAQYASABEgLYdfD_BwE

I have caught hundreds on this. The activity of the mice inside seems to draw others.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2020, 10:50 AM »
  traps are the only way to go.

Exactly right WW :thumbsup: And the best mouse traps are the Victor with the yellow cheese pan. You can set those as light as you want and they're cheap.

I made a couple of the 5 gallon bucket traps but over the long haul the Victor's did way better

WS

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2020, 10:56 AM »
Another tip for mice is if you get sick of rebaiting the traps like i did,i super glue a piece of corn or sunflower seed to them.lol

I use a wire bread wrapper, stripped of it's coating, pushed thru a jelly bean and wired to the trap trigger.  ;)

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2020, 11:13 AM »
I have used the fresh cab pouches the the OP was asking about.  I had a nest in my suburban several winters ago.  It was full of rust and I’m sure they found their way in through one of the rust holes.  I removed the nest and threw a couple pouches in and never saw a sign their was a mouse in there again.  I use them in my flip over year round now that is stored in my garage during off-season mainly because I like the smell. 

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2020, 11:52 AM »
MothBalls have worked on my boat very well as long as I use enough of them. The boat is parked in high grass and the mouse go you town if I don't use enough. It was fun this last spring when I backed the trailer into the water and had mice swimming out of the trailer frame. My father's record for mice in a bucket trap is 43 in one night and two red squirrels... For my flip over I hang it from a ceiling and have not had a problem...

Offline 613Jigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2020, 11:57 AM »

Fight the good fight but they are tough SOB's

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2020, 12:02 PM »

Fight the good fight but they are tough SOB's

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2020, 12:08 PM »
Im also fan a sitting in my garage with barely any lights on and shooting them with the bb gun.pretty fun.

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2020, 12:15 PM »
Gunflint,  I have one of those that I put outside along the back wall of my garage.  Have had it there for a number of years.  Don't remember if I've ever caught a mouse in it or not.  I also have about a half dozen Victor tincan cat traps around the outside of the house including one on each side of the overhead garage door.  I have had much better luck with them.  I place them so the entrance holes are against the outside foundation and try to catch them before they get inside. 

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/victor-tin-cat-live-mouse-trap/0000000005911?Ntt=victor+tincan+cat&_requestid=1810248

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2020, 12:27 PM »
Im also fan a sitting in my garage with barely any lights on and shooting them with the bb gun.pretty fun.

Nothing like it! Tactical mouse wars... recon at its best!  I love my garage set-up!  :flex:  If ya get enough pelts, you can sew yerslf some fur shooting gloves.   Do you wear a Ghillie suit also?  ;D

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2020, 12:32 PM »
5 gallon bucket filled halfway with water and then toss bird seed in.  Makes a real nice rodent swimming pool. 

I've even made a little ramp to help encourage the fat lazy mice to take a dip.  Seriously, works great.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2020, 12:38 PM »
Nothing like it! Tactical mouse wars... recon at its best!  I love my garage set-up!  :flex:  If ya get enough pelts, you can sew yerslf some fur shooting gloves.   Do you wear a Ghillie suit also?  ;D

lol no i just dump some field corn in a corner of the garage that has nothing to ricochet  off .snipe those little fackers with my blaze orange american cheese suit on.hahaha

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2020, 12:44 PM »
I store my stuff in the basement and have the C.A.T. anti-mouse deployment system engaged.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2020, 12:52 PM »
I got 2 outdoor barn cats.they kill but kill everything.mice,birds,frogs,rabbits,squirrels and i even found a dead turtle in my front room with cat door.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 29, 2020, 01:47 PM »
I've had good luck with dryer sheets, always wondered why some guys don't. Maybe it's the brand, is there a difference?

Traps are for sure the best, the old Victor or a bucket. Kinda like the Victor better, because the ending in the bucket is not to my liking. Not too dissimilar from what happens on thin ice. No fan of El Gato, as mentioned they kill the good with the bad. No tears shed when a missing kitty sign goes up on a telephone pole a stones throw from Wiley Coyote's den. Seems like karma.

Offline Tom69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2020, 09:02 AM »
I have used and continue to use the Earth Kind product.  Used it for several years and have not had a problem with it.
Farmers use it to keep mice out of the wiring in there equipment as well.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2020, 02:27 PM »
Those that say peppermint oil doesn't work are not doing something right. I park my camper in a pasture FULL of pack rats and mice out in the country. Constantly dealing with them.  Peppermint oil has been THE ONLY thing that keeps em out.  Take a small mason jar with 3-4 cotton balls in it.  And give the cotton balls a good douse of the oil.  If you do it right it will be so strong it gives you an instant headache.  By the time you go back in spring to open it up the smell has faded and we have yet to see even a single mouse turd.  I use TomCat and live traps throughout my shop and outbuildings and it doesnt matter how many I kill more return.  Just something im used too living in the woods.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.