Author Topic: which lantern or heater  (Read 1230 times)

Offline blackbird86

• IceShanty Rookie
which lantern or heater
« on: Dec 31, 2014, 10:15 AM »
So i think ive settled on getting the shappell 6500 shanty. Was wondering what lantern or heater to get. Any suggestions?

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: which lantern or heater
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2014, 11:15 AM »
Big buddy. Check out the Milwaukee 18 volt lanterns. They are new this year and work great. BTW, you will catch more fish in a 949i hut. Fish feel more at ease under them.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2014, 06:11 PM »
i use both. the  1 mantel propane lantern on not so cold days for heat and then at night for light outside the shack or inside the shack for double duty. if i need more heat, then the mr heater little buddy or buddy heater comes out. depends on which shack i set up and how cold it is. i have a coleman heater too if needed.
good to have options is all i can say and not be stuck with one choice.

Offline nicjohnsrud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2014, 06:24 PM »
For a lantern I use the Coleman Northstar, thing puts out a decent amount of heat and tons of light. I really like this lantern. But usually for heat I use the Mr Heater Portable Heater. It keeps our 6x6 pop up warm in -20F. Never been out in anything colder.

Kyle_J

« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2014, 07:47 PM »
Coleman lantern and a big buddy heater.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2014, 09:43 PM »
If you fish a lot at night you may want to consider a fuel Lantern instead of propane. They are a bit pricey but you get longer run time. They run on 2 pints of coleman fuel or unleaded gas opposed to those 1lb tanks. Could end up saving you money in the long run. Also you would probably be better off going with one that is an instant start. You don't need matches or a lighter.

Offline blackbird86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2015, 05:26 PM »
What about coleman dualfuel? A lantern would be adequate for heating purposes wouldnt it?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2015, 05:31 PM »
Big Buddy and LED lights . ..you may be able to get away with a portable Buddy .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.