Author Topic: Marcum or vexilar?  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Bowhunter79

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum or vexilar?
« on: Jan 13, 2019, 10:03 PM »
Looking to purchase a new flasher. Looking for opinions on either marcum or vexilar?
Fish on! Ice Fishing Team Yamagoochy

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Marcum or vexilar?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:48 AM »
I dont think you can go wrong with either one . I have a marcum lx5i and it works great for me. If I was in the market now I would look at something like a hummingbird helix 7 ice package. That way you can get flasher, graph, and gps all in one. The cost isnt that much greater than the flasher I own.

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:52 AM »

NYS Licensed Guide

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2019, 10:54 AM »
Both work.  One will work longer than the other.  Buy both!

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2019, 11:10 AM »
I second on the Humminbird helix 7 or 5 ice. They make it where you can hook it up to your boat in open water season. I love the humminbirds I got on the bass boat and the Helix ice is awesome too!
May your tip up flags fly high!

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2019, 11:11 AM »
I second on the Humminbird helix 7 or 5 ice. They make it where you can hook it up to your boat in open water season. I love the humminbirds I got on the bass boat and the Helix ice is awesome too!
May your tip up flags fly high!

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2019, 12:44 PM »
I could drop my VEX off a building and it would still work. I have never owned a Marcum or Bird. But browse the forums and the repair/rotten customer service are usually related to brands that don't start with V
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2019, 12:56 PM »
Lots of guys have hardons for Vexilar. I own a Marcum. Both work just as well the other. I don’t ice fish on top of buildings so I don’t think I’ll be dropping my marcum from one any time soon.

What features do you want and what’s your price range? Going with Marcum was made easy by it being the cheapest mechanical flasher at the time (3 seasons ago, Marcum VX-1i). It’s served me very well. Just as a Vex, or a Bird, or a Garmin would have. But, my budget was $300 and Marcum filled that slot for me. I don’t regret it at all. I couldn’t tell you about customer service because I’ve never had to use it. I plan on getting a second one here soon for guests. Either a Marcum M1 or an M3.

Can’t really go wrong with any of the major brands.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Bowhunter79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2019, 01:05 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone. I ended up ordering the marcum m1. Has every function I’m looking for. And according to the manual says it will read lake depths through the ice without even drilling a hole. That alone was a huge selling point for me as it makes checking depth when on the move much easier and faster...

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2019, 01:44 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone. I ended up ordering the marcum m1. Has every function I’m looking for. And according to the manual says it will read lake depths through the ice without even drilling a hole. That alone was a huge selling point for me as it makes checking depth when on the move much easier and faster...

That’s the case with any sonar and it really depends on ice clarity. White ice, forget about it. Honeycome ice, forget about it. Clear ice, it can work well. I like doing it with frozen over old holes. That ice is usally solid clear ice and it helps scope out an area quickly if there are old holes around. The transducer also has to have wet water in between it and the ice for it work. Don’t let that deter from your purchase though. It’s a pretty solid machine that will help you step up your game tremendously. Have fun with your new toy! :tipup:
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Bowhunter79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2019, 02:08 PM »
Good to know. Thanks a lot man. Appreciate the feedback look forward to using it this weekend

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2019, 02:24 PM »
Most depth finders will work through the ice.  You will need some water between the transducer and the ice for it to function based on my experience.  I have had a Micronar (Vexlar) for about 30 years and I remember shooting right through the ice while moving across the ice with water on top.  My depth finder was on my sled with the traducer pointing down through the water on top as I dragged it long.  Turn up the gain to get a good bottom reading. 

Air pockets in ice will cause problems reading bottom. That is why White ice and Honeycomb ice does not work well or at all.

Offline njg0621

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2019, 02:40 PM »
I've had all brands and Marcum hands down IMO.  I don't know how the VEX is even compared to the Marcum to be honest.  Yeah I agree they will both do the job but the options that are available with a digital display can't even be compared. 

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2019, 03:15 PM »
All I can say is that 30 years ago Marcum was not even around.  Additionally Marcum seems to have copied the multi color display that Vexlar started 30 or so years ago.  Also have all sorts of features does not mean you catch more fish.

Offline spoof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2019, 03:17 PM »
My Vex is 20 yrs old.  on my 2nd battery ;D

Offline GP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:26 AM »
Don't want to hijack this thread, but would there be much difference between the Vexilar Fl18 pro pack, and the Marcum M3? I am leaning toward the fl18 because for the low power mode, but the marcum M series uses brushless motors which is a bonus. If anyone has used both which would they prefer?
Thanks

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2019, 04:20 PM »
I like to compare them this way. Vexilars are like an old pinball machine, simple and basic. A Marcum, H'bird, or even better a new Garmin unit is more like a Playstation 4. Why would you play a pinball machine when you could play Playstation 4? Think that'll get 'em going?

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:25 PM »
Don't want to hijack this thread, but would there be much difference between the Vexilar Fl18 pro pack, and the Marcum M3? I am leaning toward the fl18 because for the low power mode, but the marcum M series uses brushless motors which is a bonus. If anyone has used both which would they prefer?
Thanks
The Marcum flashers don’t need a low power mode. Gain knob at zero will clear the display in any condition on a Marcum.

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:45 PM »
Humminbird Helix is the answer

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:14 PM »
I currently use a Vex Fl 28 and a Humminbird Helix 7 chirp.  I really like things about them both and would recommend that you think about how you like to fish.  The beauty of a Vex, is you basically turn it on and fish.  Not a lot of options but simple, easy and dependable.  If you are throwing your flasher in a sled and pounding it behind a snowmobile/atv, I would hands down recommend a Vex.  Absolutely bulletproof.  That being said, I really like my Humminbird for all the info it gives me in one unit.  I can navigate out to a spot using the gps feature.  I can fish using a flasher view, 2d view or combo view.  Nice big screen.  Totally silent, really good separation and real time feedback.  But, I wouldn't want to drop it, bang it around too much etc.  Same with Marcum.  Their digital units give you lots of info, but you are in essence bringing a tablet out on the ice.  More mystery glitches, more sensitive to banging around, etc.  More functions for sure, but more time staring at your screen messing with settings and less time actually fishing.  If you are a techy they are awesome. If you just want to turn a knob and fish, get a Vex or basic model Marcum. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2019, 01:16 PM »
Thanks

the fl18 requires the low power mode where as the m3 does not.  if you turn the fl18 gain to 0, there will still be the bottom, and most anything else under neath you.  if you turn the m3 to 0, it completely clears the screen.   low power mode is used to cut down the return on the fl18 for shallow water usage otherwise in less than 10' even 4" gills are 1/4" marks on the flasher.   and there is very little separation.  This isn't the case on the m3. clear the screen and turn it up until you begin to get a return. 

Both are good flashers but don't think that low power mode is a feature that is missing from the m3. 

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2019, 02:36 PM »
Good for you got what was what you wanted! Hope y’all enjoy it! Now let us know how many fish it helped you ice!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Bowhunter79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2019, 07:05 PM »
Thanks uncle gill hunter. I’ll tell ya what only got to use it one day last weekend and let me tell ya what I wouldn’t have caught the two eyes I did without it. Was able to pull them off bottom about 8ft and finesse them until they decided to lip it. In my opinion after last weekend it’s already paid for itself very happy with it. Thanks again for all the reply’s and info.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.