Author Topic: Kirwin Ice  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Winchester66

• IceShanty Rookie
Kirwin Ice
« on: Jan 06, 2016, 09:02 PM »
Made it to Kirwin Monday afternoon to check the ice. Found almost 3" of decent ice. That wasn't the case everywhere thou. Was able to get out on southwest fish attractor brush pile. Fished for about an hour and only managed 2 small wipers. Definitely wouldn't recommend fishing down here until we see a few more days of really cold weather. Sounds like that might come this weekend. Be safe and I will try and report again the beginning of next week.

Offline down2fish303

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Kirwin Ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2016, 12:04 AM »
Thanks for the update!

Offline Chuck_K

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Kirwin Ice
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2016, 06:01 PM »
Fished Kirwin today, North brush piles.  About noon the Northern half of the lakes ice sheet broke loose and moved North due to the wind.  The ice broke and had large cracks going out to the open water in the middle.  Cracks would open up to 2 feet wide and come back together then open up again for the next 2 hours.  I just was coming off when this happened and the remaining 7 guys made it off also without falling in.  It was the most dangerous time in my ice fishing career ( I am 51).   Prior to this event the ice was a rock solid 4 inches of excellent, hard ice.  However, when it broke loose 4 inches of excellent, hard ice was irrellevent.  I would NOT go back out unless there is a lot of very cold weather.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.