New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Eyes in Sodus  (Read 1748 times)

Offline OBIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eyes in Sodus
« on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:14 PM »
Sodus Bay is a decent amount of water and this is the first season that I'm attempting to branch out and search for species!!  I've been a perch fisherman for years with the rare noodler pike latching onto a fathead and seeing as this is a site for help and guidance I was curious if any one had any pointers for Sodus Bay Eyes any help would be greatly appreciated!!!   :tipup:

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
Re: Eyes in Sodus
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:25 PM »
Good luck with that one!! While I have heard of them being caught through the ice, I have yet to see one!  @)  In front of Shaker Heights on teh drop-off is what I have heard...
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:29 PM »
Sodus Bay is a decent amount of water and this is the first season that I'm attempting to branch out and search for species!!  I've been a perch fisherman for years with the rare noodler pike latching onto a fathead and seeing as this is a site for help and guidance I was curious if any one had any pointers for Sodus Bay Eyes any help would be greatly appreciated!!!   :tipup:

Here's a tip for catching eyes on Sodus.  Leave home and head east towards Sodus Bay, drive past Sodus Bay and continue for an hour more and fish Oneida Lake.   :thumbsup:

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:29 PM »
Good luck man. I spoke with Donny Davenport once about this. He probably knows that bay better than anyone alive. His take was don't waste your time. I read a report the other day with someone saying they caught 3 of them on Sodus that day (of course no pics) and I laughed really hard.
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline OBIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:49 PM »
Thanks @FindersKeepers I looked at navionics and noticed the contour lines where there seems to be a significant drop from 5ft to 15ft fast.  I'll give it a shot guys and if I get any I promise it will be proven by pictures.  I've never fished Oneida before so I wouldn't know where to start.  The other big thing is I'm used to the bang your lure on bottom and raise it 6-12 inches for perch not hunt somewhere in the water column for that perfect height.  I've read a lot on raising it a few feet off to putting the minnow a few feet under the ice.  Any suggestions for this body of water in specific?  I realize Sodus isn't prime eye fishing I just figured if while I'm out attempting my limit of perch I might as well do my best to hook onto a tasty eye!!!

Offline basscott99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2015, 12:18 PM »
I caught a 6 1/2lb on Sunday and marked quite a few more but cold not get them to bite. I was off third creek tight in the inside corner of the contours at 24' of water as shown on Navionics. You are wondering why I would give up this much info I haven't fished Sodus in 3 or 4 years after going through the ice twice and living in Oswego I'd rather drive to Chaumont Bay for the perch and walleyes. I couldn't figure out how to post a pic or would have. I released the fish so there is one out there for sure.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2015, 12:44 PM »
pulled a few eyes out there all on accident I think most are  caught that way by perch fishermen

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2015, 01:17 PM »
I read a report the other day with someone saying they caught 3 of them on Sodus that day (of course no pics) and I laughed really hard.

I've still got band aids on my tongue from that one. Man I wanted to lay it out....really bad.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2015, 02:33 PM »
I've still got band aids on my tongue from that one. Man I wanted to lay it out....really bad.

Rg

Haha wasn't that hilarious!
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2015, 02:51 PM »
Well....never let the truth get in the way of a good fish story!

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline vansmak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:15 PM »

Since we are getting called out, here are the pics - the first 2 were 14 inches and had to be released.....the fish gods looked favorably upon our sportsman attitude and rewarded us with this slob.   

See you all on Oneida this weekend!

ice dancer, browneye, and vansmak
WALLLLEEYYEEE!!!!!!

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:50 PM »
The proof is in the puddin'
It'll eat.

Offline OBIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:55 PM »
Vansmak mind saying the general region you got into them?

Offline perchking83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:00 PM »
Looks like third creek
In search for the big one i can put on the wall

Offline vansmak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:05 PM »
Perchking is correct.   We moved from 20 ft to 32 fow back to 18.   Shallow seemed to more productive, if you know what I mean... :) ;D :o
WALLLLEEYYEEE!!!!!!

Offline toydevil48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:08 PM »
Well you can bet your arse there will be 30 guys in that spot this weekend...well 29 guys I'm going to onieda ha

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2015, 04:07 AM »

Crow.....it's what's for dinner!

Well done!

Rg

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:46 AM »
Good for you Vansmak! 

As far as another post goes on fishing Oneida and where to go, just look at your Navionics and search out structure.  Look for sharp contour drops, humps, ridges and inside turns.  All the traditional structure stuff.  Banging lures off the bottom will definitely work, so don't be afraid to try, but also make sure you look and fish higher in the water column as it is not uncommon for them to be much higher than the perch.  You really just have to get out and experiment using all the varied tried and true methods discussed on the Oneida threads.  Go back and read through the Oneida Lake Diehards thread and you will see certain techniques, locations and lures that repeatedly come up.  That's your starting point.  Good luck.

Offline TeamWalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2015, 10:02 AM »
I'm the lucky one that landed that fat eye. 20 fow. We were on our way back in at 3rd creek and decided to drill one more hole after catching Dink's all day. What a great way to finish the day with my largest walleye.....yet.
Oneida this weekend.
Tight lines.

Offline OBIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2015, 05:38 PM »
Any updates?

Offline ALLEGANYCOD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2015, 02:47 PM »
Nice walleye!