Author Topic: Substitute material for hyfax runners on a sled  (Read 11776 times)

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Substitute material for hyfax runners on a sled
« on: Mar 30, 2017, 01:00 PM »
 Time to replace the runners on my Otter resort. Thinking about trying some Oak run through the tablesaw. What do you guys think? Will it hold up? I have not been happy with the hyfax. Might even try some steel or aluminum. Weight is not an issue, but I do want it low to the ground so a Smitty is not what I am going after this time. Thanks for the replies!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: Substitute material for hyfax runners on a sled
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2017, 05:07 AM »
Prospector I've heard of people using Trex decking material to make runners similar to hyfax. They rip the decking board to the thicknees desired and cut an angle on part of the board to match curve on shelter sled . (I'm not sure I spelled the name of decking material correctly)
Steve

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2017, 06:20 AM »
I am surprised they used Trex, I am sure it is tough, but it is far from smooth (full of sawdust)... I did not go the Hyfax and mounted a pair of skies right to my Clam.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2017, 06:22 AM »
Way back before there were real sleds and hyfax and all that stuff I built a small sled of wood but used strips cut from 55 gallon plastic drums as the wear strips. Very tough stuff and my favorite price.  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2017, 05:24 PM »
There is a recycler in Kearney Nebraska, Sand hill plastics is the name of it. They sell HDPE in 4'x8' sheets. You will have to call for pricing but when I ordered from them a few years ago they were very reasonable on price. The stuff is very tough. If you order 1/4" or thinner they will roll it up put in a box and ship it to you. I might even have some around here somewhere if i look for it.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2017, 09:31 AM »
if you haven't already, make sure each runner has some on it to disperse the weight better so they wear slower. try other brands like shappell. i like them the best even better than otter and way better than frabill.

i load my sled on sight as close to the ice as possible to avoid ruining things.

how long did they last?

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2017, 01:07 PM »
You might want to try us plastic.com Get the UHMW  rectangle bars. I'm going to be adding it to my shelter this year. I talked with a rep last year and she said I can reduce the shipping cost by having them cut shorter.

Offline muskamoot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2017, 10:21 AM »
I have used marine grade starboard for custom runners.It's UHMW plastic.It's also pricey,but I had some scrap laying around.Wears like iron.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2017, 07:58 PM »
If you have a hockey arena close to you, they change out the "puck boards" at the bottom of the wall that go around the rink.  That is UMHW, cut it with a table saw to your required size. 

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2017, 08:38 PM »
 Great ideas Guys! I ended  up going to a machine shop and finding some similar stuff to what you guys were talking about. Not near as expensive as the name brand and I was able to cut it twice  as thick as the factory.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2017, 08:46 PM »
When using these substitute hyfax  materials  on a sled that has never been drilled before, how far from each end are you putting a bolt, then distance used from these end bolts to the next bolts?

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2017, 09:37 PM »
 About an inch and a half from the ends and 8 inches center to center approximately.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2017, 09:45 PM »
About an inch and a half from the ends and 8 inches center to center approximately.
thanks!

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2017, 10:01 PM »
Are u hand pulling the sled ? I ask bc if u are....I used a product on the bottom of my jet boat called gator glide....it makes the bottom of a boat unbelievable slippery....I gently pushed my snuff can across the bottom of my boat it slid maybe 1 foot prior to coating with gator glide....after I applied the epoxy based product I pushed the snuff can about the same push it slid the entire length of my 16 foot jet boat....I thought holy !@// if I where to put this on the bottom of my smitty sled skis my goodness it would push it self....so the left over from the boat I put on the skis....haven't got the chance to pull them on snow or ice yet however I can tell u on cement its night and day with and without the product....con it's sorta expensive....

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2017, 10:13 PM »
Pulling behind four wheeler  or snowmobile. That product sounds really nice. Very interesting!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.