Author Topic: "Traveling Shack"  (Read 20960 times)

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: "Traveling Shack"
« Reply #60 on: Mar 05, 2012, 06:39 PM »
You could build the lower section from 1/4 plywood--say the first 1.5', and then have the foam walls--that way
the contents wouldn't punch holes in the walls--might also come up with way to have the walls fold up/down for
storage/transport--along the lines but nothing near as elaborate as Michaiana's "house of cards" shack.

MD

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Mar 05, 2012, 08:00 PM »
You could build the lower section from 1/4 plywood--say the first 1.5', and then have the foam walls--that way
the contents wouldn't punch holes in the walls--might also come up with way to have the walls fold up/down for
storage/transport--along the lines but nothing near as elaborate as Michaiana's "house of cards" shack.

MD

I think luan would be a better choice, but yeah that would help with damage control.

I never followed up on creating a folding shack, it didnt seem like it would work best for me.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Kevin in maine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Mar 07, 2012, 09:19 AM »
Looks nice! How's it been holing up for you?

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Mar 07, 2012, 05:27 PM »
Looks nice! How's it been holing up for you?

Thanks Kev, its been holding up pretty good so far. Still fishing out of it as many days as possible before the ice is gone.

There were a couple run ins with tree branches, and the tips of the skis needed extra support, but its pretty good now.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Mar 07, 2012, 08:26 PM »
The last 2 days have been a great time. Landed all kinds of fish and actually ran out of bait out there yesterday.

The brownies have been getting hungry!

And the bucket mouths...

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Mar 12, 2012, 08:06 PM »
Well its that time..... The Toaster came home from the lake today. The ice was getting real sketchy today and the shoreline has pretty much melted.......

........so I figured I better get out of Dodge before I got wet.

But not before my 1st ever spooling!

It performed great all season and only sustained minimal damage after many miles. A mile of that was under wind power, as the anchors melted out early Saturday morning and the 30mph westerly wind blew it across the lake. I showed up that morning to find the shack gone, and saw a black dot across the lake. After a long walk, I found her safe and sound awaiting action in an island cove.

Amazing!

Shouldve checked on it the day before and made sure it was secure, but I dropped the ball.... Didnt think the holes would open up so fast. Like this...

One modification I had to do awhile ago was give the ski tips some extra support (the mint green pieces of wood), because they were flexing WAY too much. One tip was cracked/broken at the Wassokeag derby.

A pic of the tree branch damage, with duct tape/gorilla tape bandaid.

More mods/add-ons will come during the off season, and with pics as usual.

Offline vtshantyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grab your rod and get jiggy with it
« Reply #66 on: Mar 13, 2012, 12:48 AM »
looks like a great little shack i look forward to seeing what else you do to her good luck and tight lines

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Mar 13, 2012, 05:48 AM »
Thanks VT, have a good open water season.

Offline skidooguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAAAAAGGGG!!!!!!
« Reply #68 on: Mar 13, 2012, 09:15 AM »
Yeah looking forward to seeing how you improve on it. Glad it was safe when you found it on the other side of the lake!
Also known as Rebel16 on MYFISHFINDER.COM

Registered Maine Guide

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Mar 13, 2012, 07:12 PM »
Yeah looking forward to seeing how you improve on it. Glad it was safe when you found it on the other side of the lake!

Thanks Ski, I was sure it was going to be destroyed in a million pieces when I got there. LOL

Ive got some insulating and hydrofoil ideas to work on already, but there will be some other stuff too.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Aug 30, 2012, 08:20 AM »
I finally found this thread again! I'm thinking of building something similar, myself.

Got a couple questions for ya, though.  Do you think you could fit three people in there, one's 7, the other two are less than 5'6", or should I go a little bigger than yours? Also, what do you think would happen to the stability if you got rid of the floor? I'm thinking of mounting the skis on some conduit or something like that so I can lift the shack, drop the skis down, then pull. When I get to where I want it, I can drop the shack back down. Bare ice I could lift it a couple inches, deep snow I could lift it as high as I make the poles long, something along the lines of a smitty sled.

And, the most important question of all: How did it last over the off season? Any deterioration of the insulation or anything like that? I'd hate to build one then have to rebuild it every year!

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Sep 16, 2012, 09:52 AM »
Howdy GG, thanks for the reply.

We stuffed 3 guys in there one day, but there wasnt much room for the heater and jigging. It could be done if one person was a small child though. I built this shack to fit in a small truck with a 40" wheel-well span. If you had a full size truck you could go a few inches wider/longer.

Not sure what you mean about the floor, but if you go without the floor it should work. You would need to tie her down pretty good though because she wouldnt weigh 40lbs. LOL

She lasted pretty good over the off season, I keep some PT planks under the skis so its not sitting on the ground. Only issue is I need to re-spraypaint the roof. Other than that shes ready to go.

I was going to create a hydrofoil type deal to lift the front in deep snow, but Im side tracked with building another mini hard side at the moment. This one will be more of a 1 man scouter that weighs less than 50lbs. (hopefully)

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Nov 19, 2015, 03:09 PM »
Well the Toaster (or Traveling Shack) is due for some upgrades and repair after 4 years.

The foam board walls started peeling the foil face off, and the branches have taken their toll.

Plus I need better skis.... Wider would be better too.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Nov 19, 2015, 03:11 PM »
Going to put thin aluminum from my 4x8 over the foam board.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Nov 19, 2015, 03:31 PM »
And I gotta repaint/tidy up the newest creation, the Micro Shack. 36"w x 5ftL

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Nov 19, 2015, 03:32 PM »
nice build

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Nov 19, 2015, 03:45 PM »
nice build

Thanks!

Hopefully I can get all the stuff done on these 2 little ones, and rebuild a crappy freebie I got given to me before ice.

Going to tear apart my 4x8 for parts I guess....

Offline Beeler

« Reply #77 on: Nov 20, 2015, 08:16 AM »
Hi Bout-Time, I built a 5x7 tip down shanty using 2x2's for studs and rafters. Then glued and nailed (roofing nails) to fasten 1/2"x 4x8 sheets of face foam board to the studs and roof. Then wrapped the whole shanty with boat shrink wrap. I only had the shanty for 1 winter then sold it. Don't ask me why. Looking at your "Toaster" I might have to build one. I also like building things.    Beeler

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Nov 20, 2015, 08:37 AM »
Yeah I saw your build thread Beeler, very cool shack.

Wish I had some shrink wrap handy to try out, or may get some coroplast from Home Depot if cash allows. Usually though 95% of my materials are freebie stuff that I scavenge and reuse.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #79 on: Nov 20, 2015, 09:35 AM »
I think coroplast might be to brittle when it starts to freeze out and the UV's might not help also. I have some small sheets of coroplast and this winter I'll do some testing and see how it handles the cold weather. I know the coroplast is pretty tough when it's warm out, I use to build radio control airplanes with it and they could take a beating. I really like the boat shrink wrap because it's free for me. But if you find a place that shrinks boats with this stuff you might get some real cheap.   Beeler       

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Nov 20, 2015, 09:44 AM »
I think most coroplast is UV resistant to a point, and Im planning on painting it black anyway.

Coroplast is quite flexible in the winter, I used some as hole sleeves for awhile. Never cracked once.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Dec 06, 2015, 03:19 PM »
Well I finally got some work done on the Toaster. I just unscrewed the blue washers and overlapping aluminum on the corners/roof, and covered one side of the foam board with 3x6 sheets of coroplast. This should give it more protection from branches, plus make it slightly more rugged. Possibly less drafty?

Taped the seam with duct tape, then I ran out of paint....

Will be doing as much as I can to finish it up this week while studying for finals. I want to re-design the skis too.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Dec 16, 2015, 01:31 PM »
The rain finally ended and I got one side finished up.

Got the paint finished, and added gorilla tape and a 90 degree piece of aluminum to the window to seal it. Got new reflective tape on the end and long side too. Dont know why I put the strip of blue duct tape on it, but hey it breaks up the black...

Gotta wait out the next rain coming tomorrow, then try to get it done.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.