Author Topic: Eskimo Fatfish 949i  (Read 38559 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
Eskimo Fatfish 949i
« on: Jan 23, 2012, 10:20 PM »
Anybody using this hut? I'm thinking of ordering one and wondering if there is enough room to fish 3 guys comfortably.  Any problems as far as design or fabric problems?
 Thanks
  Matt

Offline Hawktique

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Eskimo Fatfish 949i
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2012, 01:12 PM »
I do, and I did this weekend.  3 guys is fine, any more would be crowded.  I had my Mr heater on low/medium.  High about burnt our eyebrows off, HAHA.  It was real nice not getting any condensation inside the tent.  Having the windows open all the way was nice for our cigarette breaks as well.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2012, 03:38 PM »
is the hut pretty heavy?

Offline nbaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:17 PM »
Where is there one in stock is the better question?  I've been looking all over for one lately

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:23 PM »
I have the 949 non insulated. I wish I would have found a insulated but this one is fine. There is enough room for three people. I have had three guys in mine with fold out chairs. The only problem I have had was with one of the bottom poles. One of the pins on the end inside he hub kept moving then it would pop out of the hub. But i called Eskimo and they sent me a new one no questions asked. But other wise I love it. And like previously stated good luck finding one. The place my I got my 949 said they couldn't get the 949i till next year.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:41 PM »
Had one and took it back.

It was not as sturdy in the wind as my Quickfish3.  I think it is mainly because of how large it is.  I also had problems with the rods in the hubs.  After 3-4 trips. 

In Wyoming you can't really afford to have hubs and rods coming apart on you... ever.  If it happens, it will happen when the wind is blowing 50 MPH and ruin your trip.  I took my fatfish back and when my Quickfish3 is too tore up to fish out of I'll buy another one.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:28 AM »
I talked to the Red Rock Store last night and he was very helpful and had lots of input. I think I'm going to buy the Quick Fish 4. It is not insulated but it has a liner which acts as a thermal barrier to make it not drip on u. The nice thing is u can take it in or out. He also said that they have had problems with the rod coming out of the hubs. He said the bag for the Fatfish are junk. He said the bags for the QF4 are not the greatest but they are better than the Fatfish bags. We also talked about the Clam Summit,but he said you have to be careful when you are taking them down since they are not square the hubs can get tangled which will cause them to break.
 Matt

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:07 AM »
 >:(

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:10 AM »
Good Idea.  Some say they just received a defective fatfish.  I'm skeptical.  I think they are all defective.   My fatfish 949i had hub/rod problems on the third trip like I said.  While my old quickfish3 has lasted dozens, and dozens of trips.  Probably over a 100 at this point and while it is not in great shape... it still works and the rods and hubs do not have any problems. 

Quickfish series is better built yet fatfish is more expensive and more faulty.  I guess if you want the extra room w/ a fatfish you really have to compromise a lot.

Offline fastrpms

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2012, 10:54 AM »
I have the 949i and the first one I bought was immediately returned because of the hub/rod problems. The bag on the second one ripped the very first time I tried to use it, one of the straps ripped apart that you use to pull open the side walls, and one of the rods popped out. After reseating the rod, it hasn't given me any problems. I called about the bag and Eskimo is sending me one as soon as they get in stock.

With all the problems I have had, I am still keeping it because it seems to hold up really well in the wind, has LOTS of room and the price is pretty good. I paid ~$275. The Eskimo customer service seems to be easy to deal with so far. Hopefully with all the complaints, they will fix the manufacturing issues.

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2012, 02:50 PM »
 4 trips on my 949 and no problems yet it isn't the i model  and i wonder if that has something to do with it.  got mine on clearance at sportsman's ware house for 200  would have got the insulated model but none were in stock.

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2012, 02:53 PM »
I cant find the 949i anywhere either, but i did find the Clam Thermal basecamp 6x8 which looks comparable

Offline troutslayerny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2012, 03:08 PM »
I have the 949i and the first one I bought was immediately returned because of the hub/rod problems. The bag on the second one ripped the very first time I tried to use it, one of the straps ripped apart that you use to pull open the side walls, and one of the rods popped out. After reseating the rod, it hasn't given me any problems. I called about the bag and Eskimo is sending me one as soon as they get in stock.

With all the problems I have had, I am still keeping it because it seems to hold up really well in the wind, has LOTS of room and the price is pretty good. I paid ~$275. The Eskimo customer service seems to be easy to deal with so far. Hopefully with all the complaints, they will fix the manufacturing issues.

I had terrible results with my 9416..both in quality and with Eskimo CS.  Long story short, bag seems were ripping when I unpacked it the first time, hub pole popped out of socket because the holding pin slipped to one side, stitching around one window was incomplete.  Eskimo said they can't fix it so send it back to the store for a replacement or my money back.  That was all they said in an e-mail.  Simple and to the point.  I got my money back and added them to my do not buy list.  I'm really bummed about it.  Good luck with our hunt and find!  I did order from Joe's Sporting Goods and they were very cool about handling the issue.

My advice is to buy what ever you decide on from a place you can drive to if there are issues, thankfully I had free shipping for both the order and the store paid for the return, too.  Only lost my money for a month while I waited for shipping and reposting to my account.

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:22 PM »
Seems like everyone that owns a new fat fish including me has had problems with poles popping out of the hubs. I would have thought they would have used the same design as the QF models which seem to not have any problems. Don't know. Eskimo took care of me and sent me a new pole no questions asked. I am sure a good epoxy will stop them pins from sliding. Might not be a bad idea to take all the hub caps off and put a small dab on them all. I migh have to do it now before I get out there and get upset.

Offline troutslayerny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:30 PM »
Seems like everyone that owns a new fat fish including me has had problems with poles popping out of the hubs. I would have thought they would have used the same design as the QF models which seem to not have any problems. Don't know. Eskimo took care of me and sent me a new pole no questions asked. I am sure a good epoxy will stop them pins from sliding. Might not be a bad idea to take all the hub caps off and put a small dab on them all. I migh have to do it now before I get out there and get upset.
Good idea. But spending that money we shouldn't have to do that out of the box. If there's a Screaming deal on one I'd suggest buying it and doing the epoxy  for sure... otherwise 400 bucks is steep to have to fix those issues before they are several Seasons old.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:34 PM »
Agree 100%.

I've seen 5-6 posts on the shanty now about the fatfish hub/rod problems.  When I had my troubles with it, I was upset enough that I decided I'd tell everyone on here my experience... so that they can avoid it.

I think Eskimo should suffer or "pay" for their lack of product testing and adequate design(Fatfish).  I advocate the heck out of their quickfish series - although they are "cheaper" my Qfish3 has been used and abused now for 3 years in rough Wyoming winds and conditions.  I haven't used the "bag" at all and it is still in great shape and takes all the Wyoming wind can give it... with ZERO hub/rod problems.

I would suggest doing something, epoxy sounds like a great idea if have the time to go through and do each rod individually.  It would probably work great.  Sounds like a lot of work that you shouldn't have to do though.  I bought mine from Cabelas and they have a 90 day policy.  I'd return it.

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2012, 08:34 PM »
I payed atention to all the hubs when I set mine up this weekend and all of them have been epoxyed so maybe they are doing it now from the factory

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2012, 10:36 PM »
Hey Reel, How has the epoxy been applied? Just on the pins or the whole pole in the hub?  I'm figuring on doing some proactive maintainence and don't want to do anything that might be troublesome in the future, like making it too hard to replace a broken pole.  Thanks.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2012, 11:12 PM »
 Mine is pin less looks like they just filled it full of epoxy and shoved the rod in, I can pull it out in the next couple days and get pic if you want. 

Offline troutslayerny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:35 PM »
Mine is pin less looks like they just filled it full of epoxy and shoved the rod in, I can pull it out in the next couple days and get pic if you want.
Yeah.  Cool!  I'd like to see that picture.  I am still sketched about commercial portables...twice bitten (once with clam and recently with eskimo).  My frabill commando dlx has been real good... few moving parts...

Glad this discussion began.

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2012, 11:06 PM »
 Ok i was mistaken i was thinking the poles were coming out of the sleeve  thats where it was glued you guys were talking about these

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2012, 11:07 PM »
Agree 100%.

I've seen 5-6 posts on the shanty now about the fatfish hub/rod problems.  When I had my troubles with it, I was upset enough that I decided I'd tell everyone on here my experience... so that they can avoid it.

I think Eskimo should suffer or "pay" for their lack of product testing and adequate design(Fatfish).  I advocate the heck out of their quickfish series - although they are "cheaper" my Qfish3 has been used and abused now for 3 years in rough Wyoming winds and conditions.  I haven't used the "bag" at all and it is still in great shape and takes all the Wyoming wind can give it... with ZERO hub/rod problems.

I would suggest doing something, epoxy sounds like a great idea if have the time to go through and do each rod individually.  It would probably work great.  Sounds like a lot of work that you shouldn't have to do though.  I bought mine from Cabelas and they have a 90 day policy.  I'd return it.

I have seen several posts to on other sites complaining of similar issues.  Too bad, I really wanted a fat fish.  Keep using my clone for now I guess.  Been using a black "sub zero" from canadain tire working great. No issues what do ever.  10 trips this year.  Bag is huge no issues repacking. Hubs all together.  No rips in anything. 

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2012, 11:53 PM »
Yep that is what seems to be going on with everybody's fat fish. Mine did it to only one pole, I hope no others have problems.

Offline troutslayerny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2012, 05:20 AM »

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2012, 07:13 PM »
I have a Fatfish 949 and it will fish 3 people comfortably, 4 if you only want one hole each, as I've done it too. I can't vouch for how well the 949I can handle high winds, I can vouch that on New Years Eve and New Years day, we endured 25-50 mph winds for 17 hours, according to my smart phone weather info, on Spirit Lake, IA. It was WINDY and we had a hard quick snow sleet. It held together, and I just had to tie all hubs out, use every anchor point, and I shoveled snow and auger slush on the nose. It held together and still performs and looks like new. Very good quality imo. Mine came with a rod out of it, and I simply put it back in the hub. I have owned Double Bull Blinds for years, so I have known how to replace and install rods. So far, it has never come out, so why it came shipped that way, is unknown?
Here is a pick of that weekend.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline troutslayerny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2012, 07:37 PM »
It held together and still performs and looks like new. Very good quality imo. Mine came with a rod out of it, and I simply put it back in the hub. I have owned Double Bull Blinds for years, so I have known how to replace and install rods. So far, it has never come out, so why it came shipped that way, is unknown?
Here is a pick of that weekend.

Store told me that their sales rep told them that in the thousands they sell, only 1 or 2 percent get complaints.  Maybe I got a bum one....though given the experience if I did ever get one it won't be online unless the warranty covers shipping both ways. They are heavy and oversized for shipping. 

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:01 PM »
I bought mine 45 days ago or so, cash and carry at Sportsman's whse. Their polcy is 30 day return or exchange if you have a damaged one, or if you don't like it. After that, you have to deal with the manufacturer. If the winds would have caused any damage, they would have gladly made me happy. Yea, shipping these can't be super cheap. They are looooooooong. Their packed length is considerably longer then my QF6.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:08 PM »
I'd like to add that these are a great shelter to fish out of. The windows, the HUGE gear storage nets, the inside fishable room...I like mine and my buddy has one and likes his too. Neatest 4 person hub shelter I have seen yet.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:43 PM »
I think this issue is gonna be here for awhile.

Offline shelby stanga

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Looks like turtle for dinner tonight paw paw...
« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:51 PM »
Ive used mine 6 times with no issues, I love it! Paid $260 shipped to my door from Marine General.
Here we go!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.