Author Topic: tip up patterns??  (Read 4033 times)

Offline saskfish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
tip up patterns??
« on: Dec 30, 2003, 10:15 PM »
Does anyone use a specific pattern for setting up tip-ups to maximize the amount of water that is covered with 6 or 8 tip ups for example.  There is no real structure to pinpoint.  it is just an 8 foot flat with big pike cruising around?  
Thanks.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:tip up patterns??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2003, 10:18 PM »
if its a flat  hmm id still run my tip ups in a line from shore to middle of lake how ever far apart you want too or in a zig zag along the  area u want to cover
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2003, 10:48 PM »
I think that spreading them out works the best. This is because pike are loners and they don't school. If you are spreading them out, you make your chance of getting pike higher.
This also works because if a tip-up in a spot keeps going off and you get a pike in that area a lot more than the others, you've found a kind of pike highway. All fish sort of have these highways. Then, if you find this highway, plot the points on a gps and move the tip-ups over to that area. Eventually after a lot of work, you will have the highway plotted, or "paved" and you will know how the pike come through at that cove.
This has worked for me in the past, try it if you want to.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

MUSKY 2004

« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2004, 08:36 PM »
IF THE DEPTH IS ALL THE SAME, JUST SET EM AND FORGET EM. :'( :'( :'(

Offline water_wolf

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A water_wolf in sheepheads clothing
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2004, 03:19 PM »
I usually run my sets in either a zig-zag or half moon pattern.  Ecspecially on a flat where the depth is about the same I then widen my pattern.
Rich Ferguson

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2004, 07:11 PM »
I like to set them in a circle around the shanty.

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live To Fish, Fish To Live
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2004, 10:50 PM »
i allways put my tip ups in a zig-zag pattern from the shack to the miidle of the lake once ina while i will stager on the the side just to experiment but like IceFishingBear  said once u paved the highway after alot of work your set. ;D

Offline The Iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2004, 07:55 AM »
Fishing pike on the flats I tend to start from shore and work my way out in a Zig-Zag pattern. Up here in Quebec we are allowed 10 tip-ups. We space them out (about 15-20 ft between).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.