New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Whitney Point Lake Bs thread  (Read 102673 times)

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
Re: Whitney Point Lake Bs thread
« Reply #540 on: Jan 29, 2018, 10:36 AM »

This one made it worth dealing with the wind on Saturday afternoon. It's my second crappie over 16 inches this season.

Wow that's a slammer slab for the Point.  That's the one you want to pull up at the crappie derby!!

Offline Dcf7173

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #541 on: Jan 29, 2018, 10:38 AM »
Nice one!!!!

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #542 on: Jan 29, 2018, 10:47 AM »
Gotta agree, thats a nice slab.  Just haven't seen the big number of crappie this season.  One pig for every 20 dinks....and those are even far and few between.  Someone told me today they think the crappie population was effected by water flooding and wash out last year or couple years ago effecting the "herd".  I don't know about that...I just know last year and year before that we've done much, much better than this year.  I guess we just gotta keep searching for them.  BTW....come on man...OPEN THE GATE!!
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #543 on: Jan 29, 2018, 11:26 AM »
Gotta agree, thats a nice slab.  Just haven't seen the big number of crappie this season.  One pig for every 20 dinks....and those are even far and few between.  Someone told me today they think the crappie population was effected by water flooding and wash out last year or couple years ago effecting the "herd".  I don't know about that...I just know last year and year before that we've done much, much better than this year.  I guess we just gotta keep searching for them.  BTW....come on man...OPEN THE GATE!!

Thinking back to the late 70's and 80's when the crappie population was at it's peak there were few walleyes, more bass and the occasional big pike.  I think right now the booming walleye population is what's keeping the crappie population down from what it could be.  Lowering the size limit on the walleye to 15" might really help the crappies IMO.

Offline cnyiceguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #544 on: Jan 29, 2018, 12:04 PM »
Kind of hope they don't open the gate if people keep leaving junk on the ice. Picked up several beer cans and the portions of a lantern box that weren't frozen in the ice. It was from a group that fished in front of the beach area last night. At least most of the junk will be confined the Dorchester area.

Offline crappieman84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #545 on: Jan 29, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Wayners Bait Shop sells mousies

Offline Db1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #546 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:09 PM »
Fished the point today managed 21 gills 2 short eyes 2 small crappie and 2 bass one of them being nice ice is in great shape and the ice was really talking today

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #547 on: Jan 29, 2018, 10:17 PM »
Fished the point today managed 21 gills 2 short eyes 2 small crappie and 2 bass one of them being nice ice is in great shape and the ice was really talking today

Nice work. Hope you got some keepers out of this batch!
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #548 on: Jan 29, 2018, 10:23 PM »
Crappie Tourney still on? Hope so, always wanted to try it out.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Drewski121

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oh yeah
« Reply #549 on: Jan 30, 2018, 05:31 AM »
Sign is still up Feb 17th weather looks good for it.....DD.... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #550 on: Jan 30, 2018, 05:44 AM »
I'm guessing they will require another inch or two before they decide to hold the derby. County requires at least 12" and they must use a different tape measure than most people do. They never record what other people measure.  :%$#!:

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #551 on: Jan 30, 2018, 05:58 AM »
I may be wrong ,God knows I'm half blind  ,but isn't that a black crappie?

Offline Coach 54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #552 on: Jan 30, 2018, 08:06 AM »

I believe it is. By the time I got it home it had even more black showing on the scales. Last year my buds and I caught quite a few black crappies up at the North end. But as the derby organizers say "There are no black crappies in this impoundment"  ;D

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #553 on: Jan 30, 2018, 08:11 AM »
I fished it years ago and didn't catch a black was all whites , but hey things change and people toss things in ... nice fish anyways ....sparks my interest that big black crappies are being caught there ...very nice fish

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #554 on: Jan 30, 2018, 08:42 AM »

DEC added black crappie to the species list at the Reservoir, so it’s possible.

Curious if they’ll allow black and white crappies to be entered at the derby now. It’s gonna be a pretty crappy if not...

Sorry for the awful pun

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #555 on: Jan 30, 2018, 09:02 AM »
There are quite a few black crappies in the point.  Not uncommon at all the last few years to catch them. 

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #556 on: Jan 30, 2018, 09:37 AM »
There are quite a few black crappies in the point.  Not uncommon at all the last few years to catch them.

Oh yeah, I know. But it hasn’t been until now that they’ve recognized that the black crappie are there.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #557 on: Jan 30, 2018, 10:10 AM »
must be a few bob theres a picture of you with one you caught   :roflmao:

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #558 on: Jan 30, 2018, 12:11 PM »

I’m pretty sure that’s a white. Some of them can make you think twice, could possibly be a hybrid but any of the black crappie I’ve ever seen show a pattern on the side that extends way further than that one. Either way that’s a pig!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #559 on: Jan 30, 2018, 01:28 PM »
I’m pretty sure that’s a white. Some of them can make you think twice, could possibly be a hybrid but any of the black crappie I’ve ever seen show a pattern on the side that extends way further than that one. Either way that’s a pig!

nope I zoomed in on the picture that fish has 7 dorsal spines clear as day plus irregular spots  that's a black crappie sure as the sun will set tonight .... great picture makes  identification a breeze ...and that's a great fish

mistertwister heres a easy  chart to help you out

just click on the image and it makes it bigger

Offline builder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • don't get drug in
« Reply #560 on: Jan 30, 2018, 01:46 PM »
positively a black. beautiful fish

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #561 on: Jan 30, 2018, 01:50 PM »
Good chart Trapper, and great fish coach!
The fish that I've caught at WP do seem to be a lighter color? Wonder why? This is a black from my pond.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #562 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:20 PM »
nope I zoomed in on the picture that fish has 7 dorsal spines clear as day plus irregular spots  that's a black crappie sure as the sun will set tonight .... great picture makes  identification a breeze ...and that's a great fish

mistertwister heres a easy  chart to help you out

just click on the image and it makes it bigger

You got me trapper, that is a black....dorsal fins tell the tale.

On a side note that might pass the inspection during the derby....just a really light colored one pretty cool!

Good chart Trapper, and great fish coach!
The fish that I've caught at WP do seem to be a lighter color? Wonder why? This is a black from my pond.

I’ve always noticed that every fish from here is lighter, not sure why. Walleyes are very silvery, perch are light (almost like a blue perch) and the gills can be very light colored as well...you go into the spillway and the eyes are the color you’d expect

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #563 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Gotta love how DEC just recently acknowledged that they are in there, but they have managed to get that big- apparently undetected! They were faster to admit the gator infestation!! Don't worry though, there are still no mountain lions in the area  ::) ::) ::)

Offline ktruman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #564 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:29 PM »
Only legal crappie I've taken off pond this year are blacks.......all the whites I've gotten there are that 8 inch year class....lots of them.....gonna be a bumper crop next year.....but I've gotten 2 blacks in the 10 to 11 inch range.......cruzing in the schools of gills we've been in to.....glad to see but not surprised. They r there.

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #565 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:33 PM »
So what is this one? Looks like a white to me, but the stripes aren't very defined. One of the 8 inch class fish I got a few weeks ago. Was 1/4 inch shy of a keeper. First crappie I've ever caught because I usually don't fish crappie waters or target them

Offline ktruman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #566 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:39 PM »
That one is tough.........I would call it a black due to the fin spotting........but those vertical bars on the side of the body look like a white...........I can tell you mine were no doubt blacks.........but that one is open for opinion that's for sure.  Can I get points if I call it a hybrid  :)

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #567 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:40 PM »
So what is this one? Looks like a white to me, but the stripes aren't very defined. One of the 8 inch class fish I got a few weeks ago. Was 1/4 inch shy of a keeper. First crappie I've ever caught because I usually don't fish crappie waters or target them

Judging by my newly acquired skills, I’d say that’s a white based on the striping haha I’ll probably be wrong though! Counting the dorsal fins is new to me though...I’m sure next time I’m out I’ll be looking

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #568 on: Jan 30, 2018, 05:24 PM »
you are  both correct that is a white crappie ......mistertwister  you are  now a  expert  at  crappie  identification....now  for the hard  part .... the taste  test  :thumbsup:

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #569 on: Jan 30, 2018, 05:26 PM »
Ya, I saw features of each also. That's why I wasn't sure. Hybrid works for me. Black crappie + white crappie = GRAY CRAPPIE!!   ;) ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.