Author Topic: Looking for advice on pop up ice shack  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Redcorn

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking for advice on pop up ice shack
« on: Dec 29, 2016, 02:02 PM »
I'm looking for a good pop up to buy but am not too sure the pros and cons any advice would be helpful.
 Thanks
Also was thinking of getting a 6 man so there's no shortage of room

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Looking for advice on pop up ice shack
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:13 PM »
I have an Eskimo Fatfish 3 person. Tons of room for 1, okay for 2, tight for 3 people.
If I were to get a 6 person I would go with at least 2 others, especially if there is any kind of wind.
Carry a shovel and clean the area good. Setting up is easy, packing up is a b***h if you're fighting a bunch of snow.

Offline seiowa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:20 PM »
I haven't been at it that long but the first one I bought (and still use) is a Shappell Wide House 4500. Decent size, not bad to heat, and the real kicker for why I bought it is removable windows that can make it a hunting blind (gave it a new paint job). That, and I got it on sale brand new with extra ice anchors for $140. I like it just fine, but to be fair I don't know anything else. I remember now too, the box claimed it offered like 130+ % more fishing room than similar styled models...not sure if that's true or not but they put it on the box :unsure:

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2016, 09:13 AM »
I have an Eskimo Fatfish 3 person. Tons of room for 1, okay for 2, tight for 3 people.
If I were to get a 6 person I would go with at least 2 others, especially if there is any kind of wind.
Carry a shovel and clean the area good. Setting up is easy, packing up is a b***h if you're fighting a bunch of snow.
I agree 100% with Snakehunter. I own a 2-man, 4-man and a 6-man. There is pros and cons to each size. Fishing alone, I use the 4-man and I can have all my gear inside and fish 2 holes without being crowded. If I'm fishing with someone else, I like the 6-man as it eliminates tangled lines when a fish makes a run (Pike) and most of the extra gear can be stored in the centre area. My 2-man was used back in the day when I carried everything in a pull along sleigh. That was my first shelter and I use to fish outside 90% of the time back then.
On windy days, you better have help setting up a 6-man. I can manage setting up my 4-man by myself in wind because I ALWAYS anchor the apron down first before setting it up. All the hubs and poles are similar but mostly not interchangeable between brands. Because these tents have been around for a while now, it's easy to find "used" poles/hubs for sale online. Trust me, eventually you'll bust a pole........it happens more often than not!! If I'm using my snowmobile, I'll tow my 2-man fully insulated fold over and leave my pop ups at home. ANY shelter helps cut down on bone chilling winds. Hope this helps  :)
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline Redcorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2016, 07:08 PM »
Thanks a lot for the advice just went and picked up a Cabelas 6 man pop up and am dying to get out now  ;D

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2017, 03:24 PM »
To prevent breaking poles. I set the new tent up in my basement and put two double wrapped layers of electrical tape on every pole. You will never break another pole. Unless you drive over it or some other crazy SH..!
 I have an old Sub Zero from Canadian tire that they prob don't make any more and A 6X12 Fish Inn from Costco both going strong after many years.  I do set them up a couple of times each winter in the house or garage and make sure all hub nuts are tight and lube the zippers with silicone spray or lithium grease. The fish inn came with half a dozen spare windows and I had to use one. The Sub Zero windows are tough as nails and are still original. Just keep kids or grownups from poking at frosty windows when it is extremely cold out. I have also used puzzle mats cut out to make a floor inside the shelters.  This makes a nice dry spot to throw your gloves and anything else. Any brand you get will be better than sitting  out in the open. Look for the highest denier(weight fabric) at the best price and go for it.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline Redcorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2017, 12:31 PM »
Thanks for the tips think ill try the electrical tape trick as i know about broken poles on my hunting blind good idea

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.