Author Topic: Ice on lake Winnipeg  (Read 5137 times)

Offline big10inch

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice on lake Winnipeg
« on: Dec 19, 2016, 06:56 AM »
The one thing I'm waiting to hear about. Figured posting this post is easier than driving out there😎

Offline Red Eskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice on lake Winnipeg
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2016, 10:20 AM »
Saw people 2 snowmobiles out in victoria beach/sandy bay area on Saturday and Sunday.  Not sure of ice thickness.  Can hear the lake rumbling today.  I would be leary still November unseasonable warm and it was cold but warm again.  Keep safe! 

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2016, 05:06 PM »
A reputable source posted pics on FB just now of OPEN water on the west side of LK WPG from Gimli to the south Basin near Matlock. Getting on the ice later, on the west side, might be tough with 70km winds and warmer temps predicted for tomorrow. It might be a big mess.
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2016, 08:34 PM »
 :(

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2016, 05:20 AM »
Its going to be a jagged mess, glad I'm not a truck fisherman, it will be off road vehicles only
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline Redcorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2016, 06:47 PM »
Anyone have any news on ice conditions now

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2016, 07:17 PM »
I haven't been up but saw the NASA photo of all the openings  they go all the way up to Riverton and Helca Island north last week.  The wind after the opening really pushed some Major ice heaves (Pictures I've seen).  I also saw pics of a commercial fisherman on the west side fishing one of the openings 3" of ice for a long ways.  Suppose to get 12" of fresh snow tonight which won't be good over thin ice..we are already getting it in a blizzard in Nodak.  No super cold weather in the immediate forecast.  Ive canceled my trip over the new years waiting for safer ice.

Offline Redcorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2016, 07:22 PM »
Thanks Corny ...i was hoping we wouldn't get much snow but no such luck have to just wait a little longer :'(

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2016, 12:16 PM »
I haven't been up but saw the NASA photo of all the openings  they go all the way up to Riverton and Helca Island north last week.  The wind after the opening really pushed some Major ice heaves (Pictures I've seen).  I also saw pics of a commercial fisherman on the west side fishing one of the openings 3" of ice for a long ways.  Suppose to get 12" of fresh snow tonight which won't be good over thin ice..we are already getting it in a blizzard in Nodak.  No super cold weather in the immediate forecast.  Ive canceled my trip over the new years waiting for safer ice.
Good call corny13. I just got in touch with a friend that lives in Riverton and he reported the ice is smooth there. I'm curious to see those NASA pics.......what is the link?

Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline size38pants

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2016, 09:56 PM »
At least a dozen trucks out there today pretty close in mostly out from South Matlock. I was too busy to go out spent the day shoveling out my place, starting snow machines and ice auger.

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2016, 07:26 AM »
Blue I deleted the photo but saw it on FB Manitoba icefishing last week.  You could clearly see the opening from the mouth to north of gimli as well as the opening further north that went out from north of there NE to Hecla Island.  It was SE of riverton heading up to the east of Hecla's tip.   My buddy said the open area was now 6".

Offline Bigwalleye30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:59 AM »
Any updated on the ice conditions up there on the west side?  Pretty rough ice?  Any reports on snow cover?

Offline FISHNUTS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:45 PM »
Ice is around 2 feet thick if not more. Yes it I rough up until the ridge (frazzle ice). Once past the ridge it does smooth out. We had melting temperatures one week ago and lots of the snow melted. Still snow on the lake but the truck ruts are frozen.  Some new cracks opened up today so be careful. Warner Road has been opened up by the RM, Ralf Ave which was the only access point at one time has also been fixed by the RM.
The ice is fairly dirty and you may ware out your laser style blades quickly, I did in about 30 holes. Chipper blade will be your best bet if drilling a lot of holes.

Shawn

Offline Bigwalleye30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2017, 02:01 PM »
Thanks for the info ICENUTS.  How far out is the ridge this year?  And not liking the dirty ice, I don't really want to go through a bunch of blades!

Offline FISHNUTS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2017, 08:17 PM »
The ridge is about the same as every year, maybe a little closer this year. 1/4 - 1/2 a mile straight east is my guess. (13 feet of water) That is on the west side. On the east side the ridge kind of runs east and west but I have not been out more than a mile on the east side.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.