Author Topic: ice sled pics  (Read 16741 times)

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
ice sled pics
« on: Nov 08, 2005, 03:06 PM »
 Here in Pa. we are not allowed motorized vehicles on the ice so we have to have units that we can pull by hand.
 I have built and modified several and am always looking for ideas to use to haul all of the "stuff" that I seem to "need" out on the ice.
 If any of you guys (that tells you what part of Pa. I'm from) have any sleds that you think work well or are unique or easy to pull it would be nice to see some pics of your units.
 Don't tell the wife that I posted this cause she says if I build one more sled I'm in trouble which is kind of funny since her new artifical Christmas tree just arrived today and it cost about the same as new vex.
 Lookin forward to first ice.
 Dickie.. Beaver Falls,Pa.
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
Re: ice sled pics
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2005, 03:15 PM »
Winchester, go to the tip section and look under equipment . There are many good thing's and some pic's that might help you out.
       Jim

Offline DonRay26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2005, 06:05 PM »
Hey Winchester, I'm getting ready for that first pennsylvania ice myself! Just stop down kelly's every now and then to keep me pumped ;)
Donnie BF

Offline synergyboy10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2005, 06:15 PM »
i have a sled with the bottonm half of my old ice skates built on to. built up high enough to go through snow.
sometime you just have to think like a fish.

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2005, 08:01 PM »

It is a calving sled that is available from farm supply places.  It's plenty big and plenty tough.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2005, 07:39 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

It is a calving sled that is available from farm supply places.  It's plenty big and plenty tough.

Do you mind if i ask how much you paid for that?  I was looking for a sled, and like the JetSleds (bought one for my brother for xmas) but they're a little pricey.  Thanks!

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2005, 08:56 AM »
Not really a homemade sled, but the mods will help.  I started making my own sleds years ago, but found it hard to find light material to use.  I then went with a Jet Sled and then upgraded to a Trap.  I should have just started with the Trap first and I would have more $ in my pocket.   ;D

Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2005, 10:19 AM »
Modified Jet Sled.....

Second level for storage of items not used a lot (extra clothing, etc)

Offline fhsww48

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2005, 10:35 AM »
Icenutter...Is that a Fish Trap Pro you got there? I got one ready to assemble and I know I am going to add that deck-table you got. Good Idea. Also I'd like to ask if you have any problems dragging your sled in deeper snow? Thanks

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2005, 01:25 PM »
Hey 48, the sled is actually a Guide.  The table I built attaches right to the second seat supports. In deeper snow the Guide can be a bear to drag.  The Pro should be alot easier, but you will still have some resistance depending on how heavy your load is.   
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2005, 01:29 PM »
I bought this sled from the local UFA store. It's called a calf sled. About half the price of a jet sled.

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2005, 04:14 PM »
i bust my ass pulling all my equipment out here in pa. im making a motorized sled that carries my equipment out on the ice. i dont ride it it will just roll across the ice. its not considered an atv im not riding it its called a power carrier a construction term. the authorities shouldnt have a problem with it it will probably be lighter than most of the stuff people bring out.

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2005, 04:56 PM »
Hey Guys...
I appreciate the pics of the calfing sled and I looked for one here at a feed store but they don't carry them but I will find one before long.
 What I would like to know is what are the dimensions of the top?
 I saw one like this last year and the guy had put a flop up cover on it like the commercial sleds (otters etc) and it worked real well for him.
 I also might rig it with a set of small wheels that could be used to pull it over dry ground when the snow has melted.One lake that we fish is a long haul from where we park and an old fellow showed me how he added old lawnmower wheels to his homemade sled and it worked nice.
 That is what I like about ice fishing and this site there is always some one with a new idea to share.
Thanks for your replys and keep dreamin..it won't be long now !

Dickie
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline fhsww48

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2005, 06:46 PM »
Any chance of someone giving me some direction? How do you post a pic on a thread? Thanks

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2005, 11:54 PM »
im curious about those calf sleds? i have a farm store near by and will have to check into them. i want a sled that will be easily pullable, with my equipment plus a shappell 3000 laying ontop of it! hopefully i can create something as unique as some of the great sleds you guys have created!

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 10, 2005, 06:55 AM »
Bob D's sled is a great design, it sure holds a lot of gear.... But then he stands around and takes pictures as my friend and I pull it 2 miles out onto the ice ::)

The Beverly Hillbillies go ice fishing

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #16 on: Nov 10, 2005, 07:12 AM »
That rescue line must be for the sled, not the guy's pulling it!  That's a lot of gear!

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 10, 2005, 09:00 AM »
Yes, it's an illness.... There was only 3 of us that day. In our defense though, it was on Champlain and there, we are allowed 15 tip ups each :o Well, 42 holes just for tip ups then a bunch for jigging... That's gonna take 2 augers, wouldn't want to run out of gas would we? Better bring a gallon just in case. Can't run out of bait so that's 2 buckets fully loaded. Cant forget the 3 digital cameras, Aqua Vu and Marcum and video cameras to record what we see. Long walk, we're going to get hungry but the food HAS to be hot, better bring the stoves and spare propane.... It's going to be cold and windy so I better bring the Frabill XLTwin....... You get the idea :D

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 10, 2005, 11:37 AM »
Crazy Blaine, just plain LOCO!  :o :o :o 8)

dwayne

« Reply #19 on: Nov 10, 2005, 11:51 AM »
Blaine..how do those ski tracks do in snow that is not compacted?  Just curious.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2005, 11:56 AM »
It's Bob D's sled and design so I'm sure he can give all the details but I can say, it pulled MUCH better than my Frabill which is why we stacked my Frabill on top of all his stuff ;D

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 10, 2005, 12:47 PM »
Holy crap that's alot of stuff. I guess you weren't just going for a few hours :o
       Jim

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2005, 01:07 PM »
Bob D's sled is a great design, it sure holds a lot of gear.... But then he stands around and takes pictures as my friend and I pull it 2 miles out onto the ice ::)

I believe that pic was taken by YOU. ::) ;)  And to set the record straight...It was only 2.8 miles round trip.  ::) ;D

dwayne,
It pulls great in any snow. I keep the skis waxed and that makes a huge difference. I have no problem pulling a couple hundred pounds of gear in it. I also knock the edges of the skis (metal part) with a file so they don't catch on anything. Some of my early spots are well over a mile out, so if it did not pull well, I would not use it.

Slipbob......No comment.  :-* ;D

dwayne

« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2005, 05:56 PM »
Jeez, I thought I brought a lot of gear.  That's INSANE.  I see it's loaded down with the "CROWN JEWEL" of augers though.  ;)  Nothing more beautiful than a couple nilsmaster's on the sled.   :'( :'(

Slipbob...you have a 6 or 8 inch nils?

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 10, 2005, 07:14 PM »
And they call Ron Kapt. Overkill ::)

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 10, 2005, 07:50 PM »
Do you mind if i ask how much you paid for that?  I was looking for a sled, and like the JetSleds (bought one for my brother for xmas) but they're a little pricey.  Thanks!

If I remember correctly, I think it was about $90 Cdn last winter.  They had a smaller one as well that was a bit less money.

Winchester 88 - VCs looks to be the same as mine - I'd have to run out to the garage to be sure, but I think it is about 5' long by 2' wide by 1' deep.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

grumpymoe

« Reply #26 on: Nov 10, 2005, 07:58 PM »
And up from the ice came a bubblin crude!!!.....insane guys.....just shows you how big a sled it takes to carry 2 Nilsmaster Augers..... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:Grump

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
« Reply #27 on: Nov 10, 2005, 08:21 PM »
Tell her a new vex will last just as long as her new artificial x-mas tree.  ;D ;D
With the green and red flashy lights it would look just as good to. ;D

I just used a big $15 Rubbermaid container from walmart.  The kind with the lid locks on the sides.  I drilled a couple holes in the front and attached a sturdy rope to pull it with.  Of course I don't have a power auger or anything else real heavy to lug around.  Maybe 20 or 30 lbs of stuff.   I haven't had to go through any heavy snow with it yet but it seemed to work pretty good otherwise.  I've been thinking about attaching some kind of ski's or runners, just havn't gotten around to it.  The way the wind blows around here, the snow doesn't stay on the ice very long.  Sorry I don't have any pics to post.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 11, 2005, 04:18 AM »
Ouch! Thanks for bringing THAT memory back up.  ::) ;) It was a looooong, sloooow day by Champlain standards. I drove 4 hours each way and fished from sun up till late in the afternoon, pulled the sled almost 3 miles, and got to drive home in a snow storm. I don't remember how many fish we caught but I do remember sleeping well that night!

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #29 on: Nov 14, 2005, 09:41 AM »
Ouch! Thanks for bringing THAT memory back up.  ::) ;) It was a looooong, sloooow day by Champlain standards. I drove 4 hours each way and fished from sun up till late in the afternoon, pulled the sled almost 3 miles, and got to drive home in a snow storm. I don't remember how many fish we caught but I do remember sleeping well that night!

A slow day but I think we still got 7 pike and a pile of perch. Not the non stop action I was hoping for when you guys can up, but once we found the right spot we did ok. 

A couple of pics from that day....

I made me sled big because I never know how many people I'll be taking out. I take a lot of newbies ice fishing, so I end up have to haul a lot of gear. The skis make all the difference in making a sled easy to pull. The down side is they can't be pulled across  pavement and you have to keep them waxed. I wax mine a couple times a season especially if there slush on the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.