Author Topic: Worst injury on ice?  (Read 7411 times)

Offline Conklin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Navy Vet
Worst injury on ice?
« on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:23 PM »
My buddy fell backwards on his auger and split his dome open. We put duct tape on his head and took him to the ER. 310 stiches later.
If you can't stand the heat, get your bass out of the kitchen.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Worst injury on ice?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:33 PM »
Back in the day,my dad was carrying a lantern box under his arm and slipped and fell on it.broke 2 ribs that tough man never went to the hospital  and just wrapped his mid section up.had weird  bone bumps  where they healed weird for the rest of his life.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:38 PM »
Remind me never to fish with you guys.. Rambo is stiching  himself up or bringing his buddy to the emergency room or Doc is breaking ribs… ::)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Conklin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Navy Vet
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:42 PM »
I'll say. Worst injury is broken ribs. I slipped on my aircraft carrier in Taiwan back in 84. Officers wouldn't let me work on the engines because I was spitting up blood. Needless to say I disobeyed orders and ended up in the infirmary for 2 weeks with an infection. Punctured lung.

Offline Conklin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Navy Vet
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:44 PM »
Had another drunk buddy put a shanty pole through his hand trying to jerry rig it into the slots. Kept fishing then passed out an hour later.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:45 PM »
I burned my tongue on some hot chili..... :P    ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:48 PM »
Got darn perch slime on my chew once putting it in my mouth.. :sick: :sick: :%$#!: :%$#!:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:50 PM »
I got a sore back sight fishing.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:53 PM »
Buried a hook in my hand while it was attached to an angry pickeral  If you've ever pushed a hook thru yourself so you can get it out then you know how painful this can be.  man that hurts !

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:54 PM »
Got skunked once, pride is still hurt

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:55 PM »
Dropped 3 phones in the hole 3 years consecutive.... Sure hurt my pride lol
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:57 PM »
Doc got his tongue stuck to a pole while standing on ice.... ;)

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2022, 03:04 PM »
Buried a hook in my hand while it was attached to an angry pickeral  If you've ever pushed a hook thru yourself so you can get it out then you know how painful this can be.  man that hurts !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciniriJ1j2E

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2022, 04:09 PM »
2 years ago on Lake George. I took my wheeler out and forgot to put my creepers on. Caught a nice laker in my shanty and took it outside to get a picture. Slipped and smashed my head on the ice. Laid there for a minute and saw blood. Started to freak until I realized it was from the trout. Ended up with the worst concussion I’ve ever had. Pounding headache for days. Mind you I was almost 2 hours from home. Fished the rest of the day in a “fog” trying to get rid of my newfound headache. Not fun at all.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2022, 04:10 PM »
I went fishing one day on Long Pond in the mid 90s on glare ice without creepers.  That was a mistake.  I was carrying the bait bucket to bait up tip-ups, and had the rug pulled out from under me and fell backward and smashed my elbow on the ice, dumping out the minnows in the process.  I was writing on the ice in pain with a bunch of minnows flopping around my head.  My Dad tried to look concerned, but couldn't stop laughing at the site.  Some 25 years later, and I still have bone chips in that elbow and really cannot lean on it.

My Dad, uncle, and cousin used to drive up to Simcoe back in the 70s.  I guess that back then some bait shops would give you bags of minnows, and they would pump oxygen in the top to make the minnows last longer.  So they picked up the bait and crossed the border.  My cousin was in the back, and took his boots off for the long ride.  The bags of minnows were by his feet.  He lit up a smoke, and some hot ash fell on the bad, melted the plastic, and then a flash of fireball, as that oxygen combusted.  It burned his foot pretty badly, to the point where two toes were practically fused together.  They tried fishing one day, but he was in too much pain, and they had to come back early and get medical attention.

Offline Mike Oxlon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2022, 07:12 PM »
Found a slick spot chasing flags last year. Cracked a couple ribs. Gotta remember them cleats

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2022, 07:34 PM »
When my buddy was testing new ice with the spud bar, I wasn’t paying attention to the ice chips falling on the glare ice. I had my driving moccasins on, and sure enough, my feet went out from under me and down I went. My buddy was quite concerned, and said I was unconscious for a few minutes. I told him I was ok, and I managed to make my way to the truck. Once the nausea subsided, I put my jacket and bibs on, got my gear together, and ended up fishing for the rest of the day. Lesson learned!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2022, 07:48 PM »
Pickerel teeth in my thumb couldn't stop the bleeding , weeks later it would not heal , so i opened it up only to find 2 more teeth.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2022, 08:50 PM »
Was checking a flag on a windy day, bent over it and the flag went up. Metal end of the flag caught my eye. Gave me a corneal abrasion. I've had a fair amount of injuries in my day and that way by far one of the worst pains ive dealt with in my life. Due to it happening at the end of the day i wasnt able to get into see an ophthalmologist. I was by myself an hour away. By the time i packed up and was driving home both my eyes were watering due to the one hurting so badly. Went to urgent care and they gave me the wrong drops which made it worst unfortunately. Thankfully was able to get into the eye doctor in the morning and he was able to give me the right drops and a contact to protect it but man that sucked. 
My other almost significant injury was from a sled. Hit glare ice and my back end kicked out. Thankfully i wasnt going fast and was paying attention. Was able to bail successfully, resulting in only some bumps and a bruised ego. The ol kitty even fired up first pull after tumbling 3.5 times

Offline SPIN 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2022, 09:15 PM »
But my ego hurt more haha   
More than 3 cars in my driveway when I get home ? Probably an intervention! I’m outta there!

Offline numbtoes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • numbtoes
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2022, 10:51 PM »
50 years ago before the side bars my gas auger had one handle on top and a bar sticking out the side for the other hand. Cutting holes I lost grip of the bar and the auger spun twisting my top hand. Thought nothing of it until the end of the day had a sharp pain when I started pulling my sled off the ice. Got an x-ray and the orthopedic doctor got all excited. Said I had a "crank start fracture" in one finger that he had never seen. They became very rare after after the 1920s when cars got electric starters. For me, the only lifelong affect is I can't make a fist and lift only that one finger. No, I can still lift the one in the middle.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2022, 10:55 PM »
50 years ago before the side bars my gas auger had one handle on top and a bar sticking out the side for the other hand. Cutting holes I lost grip of the bar and the auger spun twisting my top hand. Thought nothing of it until the end of the day had a sharp pain when I started pulling my sled off the ice. Got an x-ray and the orthopedic doctor got all excited. Said I had a "crank start fracture" in one finger that he had never seen. They became very rare after after the 1920s when cars got electric starters. For me, the only lifelong affect is I can't make a fist and lift only that one finger. No, I can still lift the one in the middle.
thats a jiffy one armed bandit.... I still use mine with the single handle.... Shes a beast too
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline numbtoes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • numbtoes
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2022, 11:03 PM »
Yes it was. Beast is a good description.Still have mine too but now it is retired to the barn. Like all the old stuff I can't get rid of it. Fond memories ?????? :-\

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2022, 06:04 AM »
Forgot creepers, pulled a groin muscle pretty bad, kept fishing, but owned that one for a while... Only broken bones open water fishing...

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2022, 09:15 AM »
Dropped 3 phones in the hole 3 years consecutive.... Sure hurt my pride lol

It is possible to fish with out a phone.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2022, 09:47 AM »
This didn't happen to me or my party, but we witnessed it...some j@ck@#% kept ripping around on a snowmobile passing us and our spread on a busy lake way too closely and way too fast. On one of his passes, he hit some ice, went sideways, and rolled it. My buddy and I are both first responders, so despite the fact that we were pissed with him we went and provided first aid. Blown pupil, clearly some internal head trauma, pretty good split to the upper lip and nose. Guy could have easily died. Stood by until the ambulance crew got on scene and then back to fishing. Never saw anything in the papers about a fatality, so I think he made it.

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2022, 10:08 AM »
It is possible to fish with out a phone.

If you're in an area even the slightest amount of cell service, ice fishing without your phone is about the stupidest thing you can do.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2022, 10:30 AM »
watched a friend go to knock the snow off the head of my auger.  before i could say noooo! he wacked it.  rite through his glove and filet o thumbed him. construction bandage made it till dark.  then he went and got stitched up.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Drill It Till It Squirts
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2022, 10:59 AM »
When I was a kid I was messing around with the jig on the end of the rod and it whipped back and caught my eye lid. It didn't really hurt but I still think about it every time there's a bent rod near my face. 

I enjoyed reading everyone's stories! Stay safe out there guys lol.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway
"Im surrounded by Ice holes"
:icefish:

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2022, 11:07 AM »
well i fell in an old hole and shattered my olecranon(growth plate) after assesing the damage felt i needed to have it looked at  ::) :o ??? so me and MOJR packed up and loaded my pickmup truck and drove home got a shower and went to the emergency room at ST.margarets in blawnox where i met resident surgeon DR.JAMES bradley the future steelers orthopedic surgeon  ;D well its was a lil mo serious than i thought  :'( i was rushed in to the operating room and lights out when i woke i had a steel leader  ;D ;D rapped around 2 screws a 9 inch or so incision and a full arm cast needless to say I needed to go home and filet the fish we caught and a year later have reconstruction surgery on my elbow again did I say that I went the next day and had people drill my holes for me to this day my bionic elbow is still working!
God bless Mo

LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.