The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Recommended Electric Drill  (Read 2262 times)

Offline 2Dales

• Team IceShanty Regular
Recommended Electric Drill
« on: Dec 20, 2016, 07:12 AM »
Looking at getting an electric drill instead of a dedicated electric ice auger. Can anyone recommend a proven setup including the adaptors? What auger stem/blades do you run?
Thanks for any suggestions!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Recommended Electric Drill
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2016, 07:43 AM »
Should add location to your profile ...

SEARCH upper left very helpful past posts/threads

couple factors to know....1/2 Drill with 700 plus in/lbs of torque ... w/4 plus ah batteries .. Hammer drills tend to have better innards but set to drill only ...Mora drill units are cheaper to maintain and with some patience and practice you can sharpen the blades .

the Clam plate offers stability...suggest getting the extension if you go with the plate.

if your just going drill to auger...get an adapter with some height

https://www.fishusa.com/product/HT-Enterprises-Power-Ice-Auger-Adapter-Shaft?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NX_Shopping_PLA&utm_term=1100008795503&utm_content=HT%20Enterprises&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NX_Shopping_PLA&utm_term=1100008795503&utm_content=HT%20Enterprises

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bigpick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2016, 07:47 AM »
I have a rigid hammer drill that is set on drill and use the Nils 8"  that has the plate on top that attaches to the drill. Found having the side handle on the drill works very well for stability. Cuts very fast and smooth so far.

Offline Troutbuster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2016, 01:13 PM »
I have a clam plate with a Milwaukee fuel 18v brushless hammer drill. I fish in Maine and can go through 18 in of ice in less than 5 seconds. It is pushing a strike king 8 in auger. It works like a dream and is super light. I can drill dozens of holes on one battery. Also nice to be able to use it during the non ice fishing months.

Offline JigEm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Charter Boat Captain
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2016, 09:06 PM »
This looks interesting if you have the coin.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V0sEpYY4omM
Full Strike Anglers
USCG 50 Ton Master

Offline drfhaha123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2016, 02:56 AM »
What ever you go with get the 4ah battery's.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2016, 05:49 AM »
Looking at getting an electric drill instead of a dedicated electric ice auger. Can anyone recommend a proven setup including the adaptors? What auger stem/blades do you run?
Thanks for any suggestions!

There are two very good drills that will get the job done.

The Rigid 18v X5 Hammer Drill:
 www.homedepot.com

The Milwaukee Fuel 18v Hammer Drill:
www.homedepot.com

The Milwaukee Drill has more torque (1200 vs 700) and bigger batteries (5ah vs 4ah). However the Rigid has a lifetime warranty, the Milwaukee is 5yrs. I personally went with the Rigid due to the superior warranty. Rigids are also serviceable at most Home Depots.

If you are an older fellow, many like the Clam Plate:
www.glensoutdoors.com

Many of us just use the side handle that comes with the drill with no issues. Besides weight, this allows u to easily pop the drill off the auger on the ice for drilling in pop up anchors.

If you go the side handle route you will need something like the Ice Master Adapter:
www.fishusa.com

Regardless of which handle method you go with, youll want an extension so you arent bent over all day:
www.cabelas.com

Lastly youll want a hand auger (6",7",8"). Many of us who have been using this setup for years have tried every hand auger out there on this setup and found the augers with the flat blades/head like a Mora, work much better than the augers with the curved heads like Nils/Lazer.

I have been using this setup going on my 4th season now. Have over 4000 holes drilled, with an avg of 80holes per trip (thru 18" of ice). And thats using the first Gen Rigid with 3ah batteries.

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2016, 07:46 AM »
What adaptor are you using with the finbore Will?  I picked up the 6" pretty sweet....maybe I give in and add a drill...

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2016, 08:09 AM »
What adaptor are you using with the finbore Will?  I picked up the 6" pretty sweet....maybe I give in and add a drill...

I built mine using the HT extension. But that was before Clam had one that would bolt onto the Ice Master Adapter. If i was getting one now, I would get the Ice Master adapter and Clam Extension. I dont use the Fin Bore anymore (sold it). The curved head/bladed hand augers like to bind when punching thru the ice.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2016, 08:14 AM »
Good to know probably better off leaving it as a hand auger.

Offline Dex

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2016, 12:25 PM »
I have a Clam plate with a Milwaukee Fuel 18v 2703 brushless drill/driver w/ 5aH batteries. Used it last year with a 6 inch Strike Master lazer auger.  Performed flawlessly with hardly any battery drain, even when shared with friends on 18 plus inch ice in northern NH.   Decided to get an 8 inch auger this year but have yet to try it. 

Noticed Clam had a gear box converter to double the torque, (already at 1200) so ordered one of these.  Later on the same day I saw that they have a recall on the converters due to gear failure.  Been in touch and they are working on a solution and was told all will be made right. 

In the past I tried the Ice Master conversion kit but did not like it.  Maybe it was the drill I had at the time lacking adequate torque and without a side handle. 

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2016, 12:37 PM »
In the past I tried the Ice Master conversion kit but did not like it.  Maybe it was the drill I had at the time lacking adequate torque and without a side handle.

If you arent using the Clam Plate youll need a side handle on the drill.

I have heard complaints of people stripping the "bit" on the Clam Plate that you tighten the drill chuck onto as well.

Offline drfhaha123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2016, 01:40 PM »
I got that drill,two 4 ah batterys and a charger on line from C.O.P.,   $130. plus free shipping,got the extention from Blains farm and garden on line,    works great with a 6 in. auger.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2016, 09:41 AM »
I got that drill,two 4 ah batterys and a charger on line from C.O.P.,   $130. plus free shipping,got the extention from Blains farm and garden on line,    works great with a 6 in. auger.

Becareful buy off sites like ebay, etc.. Sometimes the manufacturers wont honor the warranty.

Offline ceejr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2016, 06:39 AM »
This looks interesting if you have the coin.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V0sEpYY4omM

The nils icegator combo is no longer available. I contacted nils two weeks ago about it.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2016, 07:08 AM »

The nils icegator combo is no longer available. I contacted nils two weeks ago about it.

Its better with the tanaka anyways!

Offline bassaddict 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2016, 09:13 AM »
I bought the ridgid hammer drill, the clam plate, and a mora 6'' auger this year. Havn't cut through much ice yet but was out a couple times last week on a small pond with a good 5'' of clear ice and drilled about 25 holes each time out and only lost half a charge with a 4ah battery. The only thing i'm not 100% satisfied with is that it wasn't cutting a real clean hole, the bottom of the hole would be jagged and such but i suppose it's not a big deal just have to check the hole after you cut through and make sure it's clean and if not then run the auger through it again. Might be a better auger to use with it but doesn't bother me too much

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2016, 12:28 PM »
The only thing i'm not 100% satisfied with is that it wasn't cutting a real clean hole, the bottom of the hole would be jagged and such but i suppose it's not a big deal just have to check the hole after you cut through and make sure it's clean and if not then run the auger through it again. Might be a better auger to use with it but doesn't bother me too much

I think that has to do with the ice not being to thick yet. It rips thru so fast the bottom of the hole can have an edge. Try lifting the drill up a smidge as you get ready to punch thru.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2016, 12:34 PM »
I think that has to do with the ice not being to thick yet. It rips thru so fast the bottom of the hole can have an edge. Try lifting the drill up a smidge as you get ready to punch thru.
.         X2 when goes thru lift slightly and no binding whatsoever!!

Offline bassaddict 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 25, 2016, 12:47 PM »
Got ya. Thanks for the tip guys

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Dec 25, 2016, 03:16 PM »
Its a learning curve ..bit of a pain at first but easy to overcome...then no bother and forgotten about.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 25, 2016, 04:21 PM »
Its a learning curve ..bit of a pain at first but easy to overcome...then no bother and forgotten about.

I never press down on my Milwaukee/Clam/Mora but it takes me a couple holes first time out to remember that little technique of pulling up slightly before it punches through. Then I remember and it pops through like butter 99% of the time.

Offline sangell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2016, 12:23 PM »
I really like my Clam plate and the handles also provide a nice way to put the auger down and keep it out of the snow. I have a Dewalt 20v on it, and carry extra batteries. I'll keep and extra one or two on the insides of my Striker jacket to keep them warm. Even when the one on the drill goes dead it just needs to be warmed up. I have been able to hit about 25-30 holes a couple of times on a single battery.

It's not as efficient as gas but does work well with sharp blades. I  do like not having to bring fuel and of course lakes / ponds are starting to pop up with no gas augers allowed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.