Author Topic: New To Salmon Under The Ice Any Tips For A Guy!!!  (Read 14399 times)

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
New To Salmon Under The Ice Any Tips For A Guy!!!
« on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:29 PM »
I want to give salmon a try we fish near a small island in about 30 feet of water.  I was just wondering what depth do you think i should set my tip-up.  Are live minnows the best bait for them??  what size hook do you think would be a good choice??
any tips would sure help me out!!
--Phill--

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: New To Salmon Under The Ice Any Tips For A Guy!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2007, 08:13 PM »
use a monofilament leader, small treble hook and set it 1 foot below the ice.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:07 PM »
yes from 1 to 10 ft under the ice.   :tipup:

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2007, 11:37 PM »
thanks guys
We can't use TREBLE HOOKS which is stupid if you ask me!!!!
But i've got every size possible that gamagatzu make octopus style

Will they work ok??

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2007, 11:49 PM »
Personally, I'd say a fluorocarbon leader is the way to go.  Much less visible than mono.

-Zach

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:46 PM »
i agree 
Personally, I'd say a fluorocarbon leader is the way to go.  Much less visible than mono.

-Zach

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2007, 10:22 PM »
with just the tip-up line do you think that will cause them to shy away maybe..??
just curious!!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2007, 06:31 AM »
They see it. that is why you want a small hook and mono or floro line. also use the smallest split shot you have to weigh the line with.

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2007, 07:15 PM »
GREAT TIPS Guys!!
going out tomorrow and setting all 5 lines until i get one
i'll have a nice picture or two if i get one!!
thanks for the help wouldn't of known much without the great help
CHEERS

Offline TexasTrophyHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2007, 10:26 AM »
Does anyone cover the hole to keep the sunlight out?

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2007, 10:56 AM »
I know some people do. I don't. I think noise on top of the ice is more of a factor than light down the hole.

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2007, 10:12 AM »
I would agree, I would say that light attracts bait fish maybe, near the hole or the surface! which may draw in fish!!!

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2007, 12:03 AM »
Fishing Kokes with tip-ups if pretty tough.  You do much better actively jigging them with an attractor and dropper rig.  Kokes are not Piscavores, they eat freshwater invertebrates(shrimp/krill) and bugs.  number 4-6 pimple in crome and grean,orange/red, red, pink ,blue or purple and a dropper in white, pink or glow with a couple maggots.  Drop it to where you scope fish and jig...couple times and wait a few seconds then jig a couple more...no bite move the whole rig up a couple feet and jig some more.  Working the whole water column if you don't know where they are.  They will often times hit the bait as it drops, so be ready to set the hook.

If your good with the Whitefish bite you will do just fine with Kokes.  It is very similar if not a little lighter at times.  Other times they just hammer it!

Good Fishing  :tipup:

Sorry I made the assumption you were fishing for Kokanee.  If not just ignore me...

Offline SUBCATCHER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oh i sink so!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2009, 11:04 AM »
where are you putting the splitshot on the line?
If what comes around goes around is true.... Im coming back as a large shiner

Offline auger-elbow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2009, 01:07 PM »
I wouldnt use any splitshot as the salmon will hit the sinker rather than your hook what i use is barrel swivels between my leaders.I split the diference of my 2 ft. leader with a barrel swivel i like the black ones because they are not shinny and i will set all of my tip-ups ranging from 1-5 feet under the ice and i like using baby suckers as bait. I too have used cardboard to cover my holes but i have had great luck without as well. I use camo line as a leader 6lb test tied in a fishermans knot. well good luck to you and i look forward to seeing some pictures i would post some of mine but i cant figure it out guess i spend more time on the ice than i do on a computer lol.

Offline MR WOZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2010, 11:36 PM »
Some good info here ,thanks!

Offline Whitefish Whisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2010, 07:17 PM »
here on lake superior they can be anywhere from 6 to 30 feet under the ice but i usually fish 50 or 60 feet of water
Catch And Release Strait To The Grease!!!!!!!

Offline wiretowire4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2010, 07:02 PM »
I tried setting up for salmon last year on LG late in the year, set up with 2 feet of 6# fluro as a leader, the smallest split shot i could find, and a #14 treble, small icicles as bait.I had 4 flags by the time i got to the tipup the bait was spit, but 20ft of line was run out, i know they are spooked very easy but is there a tactic i dont know about that will set the hook before i get to the tip up, the only idea i had was back reel the line about 10ft, any help would be awesome. 

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:30 AM »
Some people use a slammer or Automatic fisherman, when fishing salmon/trout.  They are nice, but you can use regular tip ups also.

If you want to use the tip ups that you already have, here is what I would do :

Let's say you want to fish fifteen feet down.  Pull out 20 feet of line, and tie on a rubberband with a couple of half hitches.  Open the rubberband and pull it over the spool of your tip up.  Now wrap 5 feet of line back on the spool, over the rubberband.  When the fish takes it, the line comes off the spool like normal for 5 feet, then the rubberband sets the hook.   The salmon will then pull against the rubberband and break it.  It will then pull out line like normal, but won't be able to spit the bait because the hooks have been set.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline salmonboy41

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2010, 03:01 PM »
ok first of all what kind of salmon are you fishing for? second trebble hooks really come on thats dumb anyone who uses them is just a snagger!!!!!! who migrated out of burt dam and desided to go ice fishing. you want to use #8 hooks, minnows or smelt r the best, and one of the biggest things to do is if your in an area where there are alot of salmon don't use tipups best thing to do is use a normal rod and just set it under the ice, because tip ups will just make you angery if there are alot of salmon because of all the wasted time trying to get to flags and having no one home cause there super spooky.

Offline wiretowire4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2010, 07:43 PM »
ok first of all what kind of salmon are you fishing for? second trebble hooks really come on thats dumb anyone who uses them is just a snagger!!!!!! who migrated out of burt dam and desided to go ice fishing. you want to use #8 hooks, minnows or smelt r the best, and one of the biggest things to do is if your in an area where there are alot of salmon don't use tipups best thing to do is use a normal rod and just set it under the ice, because tip ups will just make you angery if there are alot of salmon because of all the wasted time trying to get to flags and having no one home cause there super spooky.

Offline wiretowire4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2010, 07:52 PM »
 Im fishing Lake George New York which the only salmon in there are landlock alantic salmon. Smelt are prohibited on Lake George. But treble hooks are perfectly legal for ice fishing on Lake George according to the New York Regulations. And if i foul hook a fish i ALWAYS release it, but i never seen a fish snagged on a number 14 trebel. So instead of calling me a snagger and telling me i came out of some dam think that different techniques are used in different places i asked for advice and i got attitude. But,wiener thanks for your post i will try it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.