The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: ".... Penobscot River restoration efforts may benefit both salmon and seals"  (Read 2545 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
“We were surprised to see a strong relationship between increasing river herring returns and decreasing seal-induced injury to salmon. Although this finding is encouraging, we also recognize that the injuries we see only represent failed predation attempts. Future research on seal foraging behavior and diet in the Penobscot River estuary is needed to help explain how injury relates to what seals are successfully eating,” says Leach.

The study shows that restoration focused on ecosystem health can benefit multiple species in ecosystems like the Penobscot River and can shift predator-prey interactions in a way that supports restoration and conservation efforts of both predators and prey.

“Though challenging to implement and assess, multi-species or ecosystem-based approaches to management have great potential for widespread benefits, from fish to seals and even human residents and visitors to the region,” says Kristina Cammen, assistant professor at the School of Marine Sciences and co-author of the study."

https://umaine.edu/news/blog/2022/03/15/umaine-study-shows-penobscot-river-restoration-efforts-may-benefit-both-salmon-and-seals/?fbclid=IwAR0kuBJ-nlD1eIYxCZhcXdHjDs8LY7RtJYAu2sP3S_gieOb9rSHBQa77EAg
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
They should open a season on seals to knock the population down like they did with the moose. Seals are very harmful when the population reaches the level where they are now. They are over feeding on salmon, stripers, blues and everything else they like to eat.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Agreed, too many seals from NY to ME. Wait till the white sharks start hanging around the mouth of the rivers. Tasty seals. We've seen a few around Cape Cod, cruising just offshore from the seals sunning on the beach. Eating seals is a worthy reason for their existence.

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
Agreed, too many seals from NY to ME. Wait till the white sharks start hanging around the mouth of the rivers. Tasty seals. We've seen a few around Cape Cod, cruising just offshore from the seals sunning on the beach. Eating seals is a worthy reason for their existence.

That is exactly what has been said on SOL forum.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
That is exactly what has been said on SOL forum.
Ummm Yeah... Early settlers speared them for fertilizer and just wasted many thousands... Damns killed spawning runs..... log drives wiped out river bottom spawning areas, mass deforestation created high levels of silt in runoff AND high degrees of acidification and nutrification~ so much so that insect life that fry depend on for food is gone in many areas... Acid levels are so high in many areas, like the Machias River watershed, clam shells dissolve completely within 6 months...... BUT SURE!!!! BLAME THE SEALS....
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
There was a de-acidification study done in the Machias River watershed a few years back. It showed good results with PH levels. They used clam shells from area shucking houses. Insect larva, like stone and mayfly, increased and so did fry survival. Whole clam shell was places along several stretches of stream bed. Literally, those hundred of pounds of shell dissolved over a 6 month period. It has been estimated it would take ALL the clam shell produced buy shucking operations in all of Maine just to help the PH in then Machias system alone... Then... I heard there was some kind of environmental issue concerning the possibility of biological contamination resulting from using the clam shell... One scientist I know said there is nothing in clam shell that can effect any harm, biological or otherwise, in a non marine environment, especially since the shell had been completely dried. This info Is from people I work with on shellfish issues.

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
Ummm Yeah... Early settlers speared them for fertilizer and just wasted many thousands... Damns killed spawning runs..... log drives wiped out river bottom spawning areas, mass deforestation created high levels of silt in runoff AND high degrees of acidification and nutrification~ so much so that insect life that fry depend on for food is gone in many areas... Acid levels are so high in many areas, like the Machias River watershed, clam shells dissolve completely within 6 months...... BUT SURE!!!! BLAME THE SEALS....

Oh my! Off topic and emotion filled rant. Are you ok? PH off a little?

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
There was a de-acidification study done in the Machias River watershed a few years back. It showed good results with PH levels. They used clam shells from area shucking houses. Insect larva, like stone and mayfly, increased and so did fry survival. Whole clam shell was places along several stretches of stream bed. Literally, those hundred of pounds of shell dissolved over a 6 month period. It has been estimated it would take ALL the clam shell produced buy shucking operations in all of Maine just to help the PH in then Machias system alone... Then... I heard there was some kind of environmental issue concerning the possibility of biological contamination resulting from using the clam shell... One scientist I know said there is nothing in clam shell that can effect any harm, biological or otherwise, in a non marine environment, especially since the shell had been completely dried. This info Is from people I work with on shellfish issues.

Geesh so much emotion and off topic. I thought this was about salmon and seals. PH man PH.

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
My ex was an Alaskan native her family would hunt seals and otters not the best eating but they controlled the population well

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Geesh so much emotion and off topic. I thought this was about salmon and seals. PH man PH.
Not at all... The study is about  "... multi-species or ecosystem-based approaches to management have great potential for widespread benefits, from fish to seals and even human residents and visitors to the region,”   YOUR input is emotional and off topic ireelavent and utterly unstudied. . Humans caused the heavy decline of salmon and the general overall ecosystem. I stated the reality of what has happened to the salmon to bring them to where they are now. The study showed how there might be solutions on a larger level, not the 2 dimensional myopathy of grub662. Clam down and do something learn the big picture and real facts, not just your emotional knee jerking kill lust!  I know, if all you have is a hammer(head) everything looks like a nail... ;D

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thank you for giving up on posting with up-sized green text. It was rather annoying.

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
Not at all... The study is about  "... multi-species or ecosystem-based approaches to management have great potential for widespread benefits, from fish to seals and even human residents and visitors to the region,”   YOUR input is emotional and off topic ireelavent and utterly unstudied. . Humans caused the heavy decline of salmon and the general overall ecosystem. I stated the reality of what has happened to the salmon to bring them to where they are now. The study showed how there might be solutions on a larger level, not the 2 dimensional myopathy of grub662. Clam down and do something learn the big picture and real facts, not just your emotional knee jerking kill lust!  I know, if all you have is a hammer(head) everything looks like a nail... ;D

You would cry if you saw that pile of coyotes I killed this year. One was 44.6 lbs. Whine about that. ;)

Offline shoeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
You would cry if you saw that pile of coyotes I killed this year. One was 44.6 lbs. Whine about that. ;)
nice job grub.👍👍

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Coyotes we got here in Cumberland #91 this year . They have been so covered with Ticks I burn them and burry them

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
Coyotes we got here in Cumberland #91 this year . They have been so covered with Ticks I burn them and burry them

All of my coyotes and foxes have been very healthy this year. I give them to a trapper and he returns the carcasses then I put them out for the eagles. Our deer herd has suffered in the last few years and I have dedicated the last two winters to predator hunting. I haven't ice fished at all the last two winters just hunting predators. Got a couple of bobcats also.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
All of my coyotes and foxes have been very healthy this year. I give them to a trapper and he returns the carcasses then I put them out for the eagles. Our deer herd has suffered in the last few years and I have dedicated the last two winters to predator hunting. I haven't ice fished at all the last two winters just hunting predators. Got a couple of bobcats also.

Live trap them and relocate to my area. We have so many deer they are a destructive nuisance and not enough hunters to control them.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If squirrels when relocated will return 7 miles  .I HOPE YOU MOVE THEM FARTHER THEN  SEVEN MILES  . and dont put them near my piece of woods , It is illegal  to relocate animals in Maine,.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
thats funny. our local police dept. lends out live traps to remove nuisance animals like skunks ,coons and squirrels.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
also thats spreads disease and ticks to areas where they were not,

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
state already did that 15 yrs. ago when they live trapped turkeys in s. Maine and dropped them off from patten to ft. kent without treating them for ticks. before that we had 0 deer ticks up here. now they're killing off our deer/ moose herd in the winter when they're weakest.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 Sluggo65 Where does lead come from when a  deer  is killed by a car?

Offline Sluggo65

• IceShanty Rookie
Lead foot!
Is it making ice yet?

Offline Fin Reaper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Expect the unexspected"
     Forgot this was an Ice Fishing site.  Ice fishing is all over in the Bangor area for the year.

Offline Fin Reaper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Expect the unexspected"
My first try didn't go.
     I grew up in Veazie fishing for Atlantic Salmon down below the dam.  Some of the best times of my life.
     Question:  Does it make sense to spend thousands (million) of dollars trying to restore the Atlantic Salmon when they grow, swim out to the ocean and get netted by other countries?  Add in predators (seals),acid rain,pollution,etc.  They (AS) are never coming back to the numbers in the 80's.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The old Wiley E Coyote is a survivor and will never be eradicated.  I think a small bounty would help get more hunters involved, can be regulated and will pay a little to towards gas,supplies,etc.  That may thin the coyote population a bit.

FIN

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.