The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: bait in gillette  (Read 2486 times)

Offline mittenclamman

• Team IceShanty Regular
bait in gillette
« on: Nov 07, 2011, 12:49 AM »
is there anywhere local to get live bait?

Offline VegasIce

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: bait in gillette
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2011, 10:58 AM »
The only place in town to get minnows is a Ace Hardware. Other than that if you want worms, mealworms, waxies you can go to the BIG box store or rocky mountain sports.
A bad day fishhttp://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t65/wyohound/for-wyomingites-only.jpging beats a good day of work.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2011, 11:08 AM »
You can drive out to Keyhole, but that's not Gillette.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2011, 03:24 PM »
is there anywhere local to get live bait?

Here's a link to the Ace and Keyhole bait contact info:  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=94384.msg927569#msg927569

Offline mittenclamman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2011, 06:18 PM »
I stopped in at Ace and was informed that they are going to be on limited supply this winter due to supply issues, that and during construction next door Ace lost power for 14 hrs and killed a better part of their minnows off. I was thinking about buying in bulk and keeping a tank at my house, what does the state of wyoming say about bulk quantity? would to many make you a dealer?

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2011, 08:20 PM »
I stopped in at Ace and was informed that they are going to be on limited supply this winter due to supply issues, that and during construction next door Ace lost power for 14 hrs and killed a better part of their minnows off. I was thinking about buying in bulk and keeping a tank at my house, what does the state of wyoming say about bulk quantity? would to many make you a dealer?
They say nothing about quanitity but you will have to have either 1)have a piece of paper saying that you bought all of them from a bait dealer or 2) buy a bait dealers licence which would be cheaper and better in the long run. But keep in mind that the licences are only good for 2011 if you buy it this year. If you can hold off until after the first of the year, you can use it for next Nov-Dec. Good luck mittenclamman!
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline mittenclamman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2011, 09:11 PM »
hmmm good point, maybe I should go dealer route and might be able to get a larger bulk amount and sell a couple dozen to make up for the cost

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2011, 09:16 AM »
hmmm good point, maybe I should go dealer route and might be able to get a larger bulk amount and sell a couple dozen to make up for the cost
That's what i plan on doing. Sell them for .50 less than anybody else and you'll do very well i think.

Offline VegasIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2011, 11:58 AM »
Here lies the problem with buying them opposed to catching them in the wild: If you buy them from a bait dealer the paper work is only good for 2 weeks. Meaning you can only use those minnows for two weeks in the bodies of water stated on the bait license. After that they have to be destroyed. Now if you catch them in the wild, and have a seining license you can use them in the approved waters in the drainage they were caught. With no limit of time to be kept. Now if you buy the minnows from a state hatchery the minnows are good for all approved waters in the state as opposed to individual water sheds. And those minnows may be kept for the season i believe. You may want to check into those options. All of this is spelled out in the fishing regs under use of live bait.
A bad day fishhttp://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t65/wyohound/for-wyomingites-only.jpging beats a good day of work.

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2011, 12:01 PM »
Now if you buy the minnows from a state hatchery the minnows are good for all approved waters in the state as opposed to individual water sheds. And those minnows may be kept for the season i believe.
I did not know you could buy minners from a hatchery.......Wonder what the going rate is?? Thanks for sharing VI!

Offline mittenclamman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2011, 12:11 PM »
oh the things you learn on iceshanty. I seriously think I learn more useful things on here then I ever did in school

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2011, 12:36 PM »
I don't know what state you moved here from, but in MT (my homestate) it is not uncommon to present a bait between 4-9". It is near impossible to find bait from Northeastern WY that size unless you trap your own. I will be sending in my seining license app this week.

The bait being sold at ACE is usually under 1". The bait being sold out at KH state park are reasonably sized fathead minnows. There is also another private bait seller in this region-if you would like his contact info just PM me through this website. You may not like his prices, but you will love his bait selection.

Hope this helps on your quest for live bait.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2011, 05:51 PM »
I did not know you could buy minners from a hatchery.......Wonder what the going rate is?? Thanks for sharing VI!
Those of us that sell the state wide usable fatheads have hatchery license's. IF you buy fathead minnows from a hatchery out of state you have to keep them for 6 months before you could sell them.

Offline mittenclamman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2011, 11:18 PM »
man, I was just in worland two weeks ago!! I was stuck there for 2 days sitting in a hotel I could have swung by and shot the breeze with you. Ok my next question what about the tackle shop in Buffalo? do they have minnows?

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2011, 09:14 AM »
man, I was just in worland two weeks ago!! I was stuck there for 2 days sitting in a hotel I could have swung by and shot the breeze with you. Ok my next question what about the tackle shop in Buffalo? do they have minnows?
Stop by anytime, or send a pm, not sure what the minnow supply is like around Buffalo.

Offline mittenclamman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2011, 01:17 PM »
will do, yeah we were suppose to do a job on a oil rig just outside of town and ended up sitting at the hotel for a better part of two days, went to the sporting good shop downtown and talked to her for a hour or so, ( nice lady )

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:03 PM »
Ok my next question what about the tackle shop in Buffalo? do they have minnows?

No place to buy minnows in Buffalo at this time, but I have heard the Sports Lure is thinking about getting set up to sell minnows.

ClearCreek

Offline mittenclamman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:40 PM »
ok I will keep that in mind, I was informed of a local in gillette to try and get a hold of.

Offline Nhurley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 12, 2011, 08:33 PM »
There is also a place in Nicholson little farms just outside of Gillette, last year he had bruisers for minnows, I could almost filet them lol. I'll do some digging and look up his phone #

Offline mittenclamman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 12, 2011, 08:45 PM »
awesome yeah if you can get me that  ( pm if you want to ) I would apperciate that

Offline flags

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2012, 01:27 PM »
There is also a place in Nicholson little farms just outside of Gillette, last year he had bruisers for minnows, I could almost filet them lol. I'll do some digging and look up his phone #

if there is a local minnow guy I would sure like to send a little business his way.  the small minnows work for somethings, but like a lot of you big minnows can really make the difference. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.