The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ling mounting  (Read 2607 times)

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Ling mounting
« on: Dec 30, 2010, 04:22 PM »
Has anyone ever seen a ling mounted? It would be fun to see 'ol beady eyes stuffed. I can imagine a lunker 4 footer with that old "smoky brown-hung-in-a-bar-for-years" vintage patina. ::) ::)
Thread killer

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ling mounting
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2010, 04:57 PM »
The bar on the west shore has one not a thing of beauty.
olefish

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2010, 07:46 PM »
I would love to have one, maybe slithering around a piece of driftwood, that beautiful barbel hanging down.

Offline WYLINGIT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 'cause they're tasty!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2010, 09:48 AM »
I caught one that was yellow and gold so i took it to Faccio's two years ago... got it back didnt look right... still waiting

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2010, 11:38 AM »
There is a good ling mounted in the Lander G&F office, I cannot remember the weight but it is a big ling.  If they still have it there, have not gone to look at it in ca few years.

Offline gone fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2010, 12:03 PM »
there is one in the mint bar in sheridan.. it has been there a long time......

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2010, 12:24 PM »
I had a monster up to the ice down at the Big Sandy a few years ago and had a hard time getting its huge head through a 10" hole...it broke off before I got it out...Easily 15 pounds, its head was the size of a bowling ball!!!

It looked so cool I had thoughts of what a mounted burbot would look like, and I asked Robert Ray (the guy that does the great lake trout mounts) what he thought.  He just laughed, said "no thanks"!!!  He thought they would be tough to mount because of the fat in the skin that would make it look dark and blotchy over time.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2010, 12:58 PM »
This is exactly what I imagined...We all know what a smokey old bar deer looks like, just add beady eyes and fish skin.
Thread killer

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2010, 03:40 PM »
Wouldn't it make a grand avatar?   Of course, one would have to change their name to "creepyoldling".
Thread killer

Offline Monarch8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:25 AM »
If you want to see one go to the Rustic Pine bar in Dubois... It's exactly what you are looking for- smokey old and brown.  Go in the front door and look above the third booth on your left... ;)

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
best way to fillet a ling?????
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:45 AM »
I was just wondering how to best fillet a ling. i have heard many different techniques. would you do it the same way as a wally?
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline wforbes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:47 AM »
I would love to have one, maybe slithering around a piece of driftwood, that beautiful barbel hanging down.

This is an awesome idea I bet it would look way rad!
hammer em bud!!! :tipup:

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: best way to fillet a ling?????
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:55 AM »
Same as a wally or catfish works for me. Skin comes off same as a catfish.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline WYeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishoholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:06 AM »
That's the way I do it. Electric knife, take off both fillets leaving the skin attached at the tail end(makes it easier to hold on to) then take the fillets off the skin and remove rib bones. If its a larger ling with heavy rib bones I'll leave the ribs on the carcass.

Offline GDRB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:12 AM »
Replicas are the way to go.  I googled this one, which has a photo of a ling mount.  I'm sure there's more if you do some homework.
http://www.gregandsonsfish.com/gregs_fish_reproductions.html

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:31 AM »
Here's the way Grandpa taught me. Let the buggers freeze solid (not hard to do when your ice fishing).  Bring them inside for 20-40 minutes till a 1/16 to 1/8 inch of the fish has thawed. Cut the skin all the way around the head just behind the gill plates and make two cuts either side of the dorsal all the way down the back  Grab a pair of pliers and give the skin a slow even pull working from the head to the tail. It works really good if you hammer a nail through their head into a stump or block of wood to hold them while your pulling.  Then let them thaw enough to easy cut the meat from the bones. 

My favorite recipe is the "Poor Mans Lobster"
Boil them in suger water till done and dip them in drawn butter.
Easy to do this on the lake too

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing makes a bigger fish than one almost caught
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2011, 01:39 PM »
Here's the way Grandpa taught me. Let the buggers freeze solid (not hard to do when your ice fishing).  Bring them inside for 20-40 minutes till a 1/16 to 1/8 inch of the fish has thawed. Cut the skin all the way around the head just behind the gill plates and make two cuts either side of the dorsal all the way down the back  Grab a pair of pliers and give the skin a slow even pull working from the head to the tail. It works really good if you hammer a nail through their head into a stump or block of wood to hold them while your pulling.  Then let them thaw enough to easy cut the meat from the bones. 

My favorite recipe is the "Poor Mans Lobster"
Boil them in suger water till done and dip them in drawn butter.
Easy to do this on the lake too
I WAS TAUGHT A WAY VERY SIMILAR TO THIS BUT I DON'T LET THEM FREEZE.  NAIL 'EM THRU THE HEAD TO A PLANK, CUT JUST THE SKIN WITH THE TIP OF A SHARP FILET KNIFE (TRY NOT TO CUT INTO THE FLESH) AROUND THE NECK AND GRAB THE SKIN ABOVE THE SPINE WITH PLIERS AND PULL NICE AND EASY TOWARD THE TAIL.  SHOULD COME OFF AS A COMPLETE SKIN IF DONE PROPERLY.  CUT THRU THE SPINE JUST BEHIND THE HEAD THEN CUT THE FLESH AROUND THE NECK AND THEN DOWN THE BELLY TO THE VENT WHILE LEAVING ENTRAILS ATTACHED TO THE HEAD.  SEVER FLESH FROM ENTRAILS AT VENT AND YOU'RE DONE. THEN EITHER CHUNK INTO PIECES OR FILET FLESH OFF BONES AND RIBCAGE.  COOK USING MOOTERS RECIPE AND YOU'LL WISH YOU'D CAUGHT MORE!

Offline slobhoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2011, 01:43 PM »
didnt know u could eat a ling

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2011, 01:58 PM »
I had a guy try to trade me his walleye that he had caught at yellowtail for the ling I had caught.  I don't know if I like them better than walleye, but they are good.

Offline slobhoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2011, 02:42 PM »
are u refering to a burbout i her they are good to eat

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2011, 03:38 PM »
yeah...ling, burbot, eel pout, probably about a dozen names. 

Offline slobhoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2011, 03:44 PM »
no a ling and a burbout are 2 diffent fish a ling has big ass teeth and doesent get as big and i have never herd of anybody eating them a burbout i have they call them many things like u said i caught one last weekend and dint know what to do with guees i should have kept it and ate it

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2011, 04:13 PM »
They are the same to me and lots of others around here. You might be thinking of a dog fish they have big teeth like you said and kind of look like a pout.

Offline slobhoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2011, 04:15 PM »
maybee but anyways they are good eating some one told me only to eat the meat from the dorsal fin back and it tastes just like lobster any truth to that or u eat the whole side or the fish

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2011, 04:33 PM »
no a ling and a burbout are 2 diffent fish a ling has big ass teeth and doesent get as big and i have never herd of anybody eating them a burbout i have they call them many things like u said i caught one last weekend and dint know what to do with guees i should have kept it and ate it

Ling are an ocean fish with big ass teeth, super aggressive and yummy!

Burbot are freshwater cod that people that are not from the coast sometimes call ling.  I guess it does not really matter since there are no real ling to confuse them with in Wyoming!!

I agree the best way to filet is to skin, then cut around the bones, that way you do not have to even cut into the body cavity.  They are stinky creatures but damn tasy!

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2011, 04:41 PM »
Eat the whole thing. Bowl in old bay and dip in butter great stuff.

Offline FRANK THE TANK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2011, 05:17 PM »
Saok the ling in GAS and then get rid of the ling and drink the gas. Just playing around you skin it just like a cat fish.

Offline madmatt192

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2011, 05:17 PM »
I was just wondering how to best fillet a ling. i have heard many different techniques. would you do it the same way as a wally?

The best way I like to do it is kick them across the ice to your buddy and say " here you fillet these while I go warm the truck up"
Then if he screws them up never let him hear the end of it.

Offline FRANK THE TANK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2011, 05:21 PM »
The ling are fairly good to eat, but they aren't like any Lobster that I've every tasted. They to me are just like eating fish and chips whick is a far cry from a nice Lobster tail.

Offline FRANK THE TANK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2011, 05:24 PM »
Just contact a place in CANADA call Advanced Wildlife Design they have a mold for about any type of fish on the planet and do the best fish mount's that I have ever seen even better than a real skin mount.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.