Author Topic: How much more time do we have?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Ice Trapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag Up! He's Stripping line"
How much more time do we have?
« on: Feb 24, 2011, 01:43 PM »
How much more time do we have to fish yall think?

<{{{>(~Raef Heller~)<}}}>

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How much more time do we have?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2011, 02:03 PM »
More than I initally thought.  Even in the southern lakes the ice is still tight on the edges.  We were at a lake (Pond) yesterday that is not very far up the hill and it still had 20+ in the middle and very strong edges, not to mention it was making ice.  But the sun is high and the water underneith is warming because of it. So that good ice is going and when it does it usually goes fast.  Next week should be no problem, but after that use common sense and check your surroundings on the way out.  High use shore areas will usually go first.   It is possible that even in the south here we will get into mid March or later, but again be sensibel about it, keep your ice picks handy.

Be Safe.

Oddfish
stick around something odd will come out soon.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2011, 02:22 PM »
March 31, I hope.  ;)

Capt. Black

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2011, 02:26 PM »
I bet I can make it into April this year!

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2011, 05:59 PM »
On Alton Bay it is ALL about the boat ramp, only way on and only way off. The ramp went to h3ll 2 weeks after ice-in and will likely be going out a couple of weeks earlier than usual. I've been fishing the bay for several years and know to watch that ramp daily this time of the season. I am yanking mine around midweek next week. Might sound a tad early but the surface should still be good and the ramp solid. After that I think it is a crap shoot. So take heed and be careful and watch that ramp.

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:44 PM »
Newfound still has quite a bit. 18-20" in some spots.  The shores are still tight.  Judging by the long range forecasting, we are looking at temps still down in the teens at night.  I would say at least til the 13th.  Maybe longer.

Definitely longer on the smaller lakes and ponds.  But things could change... ???
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2011, 06:38 AM »
Areas South of the Lakes region will go fast this year, way to much snow ice, Lakes Regions shore line will go a little early this year I think, many are predicting that Ice Out on Winni will be early this year....but who really know except mother nature.
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2011, 07:28 AM »
I plan to be ice fishing at least until the 3rd weekend in March.  Hopefully longer!  I can't wait to ice fish in my t-shirt. ;D

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2011, 01:36 PM »
I made it out last season on March 15th. Had to go north to do it , but found 12-14" of ice on a small 75 acre lake. Albany NH. I hope to make it out till then on southern nh small ponds this season. I was out 2 days ago and was burying the Eskimo to the powerhead on southern nh pond/lake. Plenty of good ice, hope it lasts! Got a friend who is an avid iceguy and it has been a tough season for him, and he has been unable to get out. He deserves another month of ice!

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2011, 04:50 PM »
March 31st, dangit! Even if I have to travel to the Canadian border like last year!  ;)
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline whtmtniceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mora... Hold her tight and DRILL HARD!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2011, 06:48 PM »
Im going with April. Depends on any warm spells or rain. Also it will come to fishing spots with good ice instead of fishing spots with a good bite... Unless your lucky with a late season honey hole

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2011, 09:55 AM »
i hope the ice is fishable until mid march. but i hope when the ice is unfishable it melts within a week or two and they stock the trout in our local pond.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.