Author Topic: New to Utah and the Ice Shanty Community  (Read 975 times)

Offline fattybinz

• IceShanty Rookie
New to Utah and the Ice Shanty Community
« on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:21 AM »
I've been lurking around this forum for a while now. I'm new to Utah and to freshwater fishing in general (I'm from South Florida). Tried ice fishing once and fell in love. I'm thinking of going to strawberry reservoir this weekend but it is huge. To find the best places to fish through trial and error would take a long time and a lot of skunk days. I'd appreciate some pointers on what areas to fish for trout and what depths to aim for. The one time I went ice fishing was at strawberry, I saw some shelters set up 100 feet off of Haws Point and set up there. Didn't have a terrible day...caught 3 decent cutthroats in 4-5 hours. Based on fishing reports and youtube videos it seems like I could do a lot better. I appreciate any advice.

Offline tomertim

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New to Utah and the Ice Shanty Community
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:01 PM »
Fattybinz- Welcome to Utah!  While there is definitely folks here with way more experience at Strawberry, I have had good luck with heading with Marina (just down the boat docks, turn East around the point) also the turn off right before the Marina where the boats are docked, and also Mud Creek.  As far as depth.... it has all depended but I'm usually in the 20-35 feet of water range and the Vexilar will pick them up somewhere off the bottom.  It varies, but I don't notice many close to the bottom but instead at the mid-level. 

Bait wise; I have had a lot of luck on rat finkees, Gitzit Little Tough Guys (Really good luck with these in white, tipped with Wax worms and positioned horizontally), and Teardrops.

Overall, there are some footballs in the Berry.  Good luck and welcome!

Offline fattybinz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:57 PM »
Thank you for the insight! Since I've only been there when its frozen I didn't really get the use of the docks as a point of reference but from what I'm seeing on google maps I think I can see where you are describing when you say "down the boat docks, turn east around the point." In the photo below I've put a start labeled "1" on where it seems like you are describing, but the second star represents another place where it may be...around the [much larger] point. Are one of those it?

https://imgur.com/a/xt78g

Also, can you clarify what you mean when you say "also the turn off right before the Marina where the boats are docked." ?

Appreciate it.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2017, 08:05 AM »
Welcome to the shanty fattybinz, Strawberry is always a fun place to get on some nice fish. I like to fish out of chicken creek east and the ladders myself. Usually traveling on a machine though so I can get away from the higher pressure areas. I prefer to fish in the 20fow zone but will move into 5fow if I'm not seeing any fish out deeper. Baits of choice are paddle bugs, atomic teaser tails, cutter bugs and gizzy bugs in white green or pink. Sometimes red works when the others don't. Look thru the Reports & conditions pages for the berry. There's some good info in there on what's worked for people and of course what hasn't. Good luck and feel free to hit me up anytime
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline fattybinz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2017, 10:38 AM »
Thanks for the info! I don't have a truck or 4wd car...just a honda accord. Would I have any trouble getting to the marina or some of these parking areas that I'm seeing close to chicken creek east and the ladders? I don't see a lot of snow in the forecast from now until then so I should be alright, right?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2017, 11:10 AM »
They usually do plow the lots at chicken creek east & west and the ladders. Getting in them normally with a car is just fine. I have not been up there this year so I don't know what the parking areas look like. They were having some issues getting things plowed from all the snow that's been dumping up there. Unless someone posts up the conditions of the parking areas your best bet would be to call the marina and ask them
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline tomertim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2017, 03:24 PM »
Fattybinz- That is correct on your map.  I usually head right off point in between #1 and #2. 

Have had pretty good luck there.  If you head elsewhere and have good luck please post!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.